Doogie: Saturday is the right time to make the switch to Max Shortell

What's the latest on Gray's injury? I keep hearing he has a "toe injury" but have not seen any details on what that means. Anyone know? for sure

In your opinion, why do the coaches keep inserting Shortell in the 4th quarters or when we go down by 2-3 scores?
Gray cramped up against USC and new Mexico state.
Gray played absolutely terrible against Ndsu. 1 of the 3 times it's been max it's been because they felt better about max.
On our last scoring drive they were mixing qb's.

The backup QB is always the most popular player amongst Gopher and Viking fans. A year ago, Gray was the next Eric Crouch. Now Shortell is at least the next Cupito. Next year Nelson will be the homecoming king.

Looks like Max gets the start...

Gentlemen, I think everyone is overlooking one important thing. Defenses don't prepare for the backup QB. Name Shortell the starter and defenses will have a week to prepare for him. I would guess he will get blitzed like crazy. Which I would be willing to bet makes Shortell look pretty bad.

No matter what everyone thinks, putting the backup QB in isn't a cure all.

I'm not advocating for either one but this incessant banter about Shortell like he's the second coming is slightly off base. However, It is a shame these are the two options at QB because neither is prepared to start on saturdays.

I'm not advocating for either one but this incessant banter about Shortell like he's the second coming is slightly off base.

No one who supports Shortell is saying that he is the second coming, they, including myself, are simply saying that he is a better passer and all around qb than Gray. No one is suggesting that if we start Shortell we will not lose a game. However, I think we have a better chance of winning more games with Shortell than Gray. I really do not think we win any games if Gray continues to start and plays a majority of the plays. He is absolutely not passing threat and defenses scheme accordingly. Shortell is a passing threat, which opens up the run. Anyone who has watched the games can easily see this.

I don't know what games some of you are watching but Gray *NEVER* looks comfortable regardless of whether it's the first drive or late in the 4th. Shortell comes in the game at critical times & is way more clutch then Gray. He looks more composed, keeps defenses more honest & though he makes mistakes he just looks carries himself like a real QB on the field. Gray comes off like a RB playing QB & defenses lack of respect for his arm show that. Denard is a runner too but he can pass, Gray hasn't shown he can...

...In My Opinion.

In the words of my former football coach,

"well, that wasnt the f'in answer!"

Top Bottom