Doogie: Little chance Kill lands every in-state recruit this year without Sternquist

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Doogie:

"Best of luck to Josh Sternquist, who was the Gophers' assistant recruiting coordinator since 2008. He is the new recruiting coordinator for New Mexico. There's little chance Kill lands almost every in-state recruit this year without Sternquist."

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s2656631.shtml

Go Gophers!!

Well they didn't land James Onwualu or Jack Cottrell with him either.

I have confidence coach Kill will come up with a capable replacement.

Such a dumb post, and something I'd expect from Sid or Mike Max, and now Doogie, I guess - because someone has been here, there's no chance we could get someone better to replace him? duh

I think we are seeing the result of Doogie having smelled too many paint fumes from when he was getting his big scoop on Norwood Teague's new paint job for his office. Maybe there is a recovery program for him somewhere. I hope so because if there isn't his next big scoop may be about off colored jokes in Teague's office.:confused:

Interesting. So I looked up his profile on gophersports.com. Apparently you can post comments to the staff profiles via facebook, and this one caught my eye:

Kevin Holmes
Hello, Josh, this is U of Minnesota football Alum, Kevin Holmes. My son Kevin "KJ" Holmes class of (2013). has some interest in the U of M. His website contains all his info, video etc. www.kevinholmes2.com. By the way, he is far better than I was in many ways. Recently, he posted a 99.33 SPARQ RATING at last weekend's NIKE COMBINE in Atlanta. He plays Linebacker at Salem High School in Conyers, GA. Hope to see a Minnesota Coach during Spring football here is Georgia! Take care!

No info on Rivals, but I didn't search that hard either.

Way to go out on a limb Doogie!

When was the last time the U landed every in-state recruit that they wanted. This really smells of Doogie is trying to sound insightful to the non-college sports fans. The U already lost out on Onwualu and Cottrell and we NEVER land every in-state kid we pursue.

In further news, "little chance Jerry Kill wins the National Championship his year without Sternquist".

Interesting. So I looked up his profile on gophersports.com. Apparently you can post comments to the staff profiles via facebook, and this one caught my eye:

Kevin Holmes
Hello, Josh, this is U of Minnesota football Alum, Kevin Holmes. My son Kevin "KJ" Holmes class of (2013). has some interest in the U of M. His website contains all his info, video etc. www.kevinholmes2.com. By the way, he is far better than I was in many ways. Recently, he posted a 99.33 SPARQ RATING at last weekend's NIKE COMBINE in Atlanta. He plays Linebacker at Salem High School in Conyers, GA. Hope to see a Minnesota Coach during Spring football here is Georgia! Take care!

No info on Rivals, but I didn't search that hard either.

If his numbers are indicative of his playing ability, the Gophers would be wise to offer him early to try to get him early before other teams swoop in.

He lives in Georgia, but he doesn't even have a Rivals profile. Knowing nothing else, that's not a good sign.

I spoke to Josh today and while flattered by Doogie's high praises, he knows that the Gophers will continue to do a good job recruiting the top players in the state. He told me that he enjoyed his time in Minnesota and wishes the staff the best of luck. Josh has always wanted to be a recruiting coordinator and is excited about the opportunity at New Mexico. He siad that he will be watching Minnesota closely this season.

Chris Monter

Chris, if I may ask a question, is it your impression that Josh Sternquist was forced out (initially he was a Brewster hire), or do you think he left on his own terms? Certainly a recruiting coordinator title is better than an assistant recruiting coordinator title, but I'm not so sure that position at New Mexico would pay more than the one he had at Minnesota? Also, any idea if he had a connection to the New Mexico staff (Bob Davie, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

I think that Josh's current position is an upgrade. He had a smaller, but still important role under Coach Kill, who brought in most of his staff with him from Northern Illinois. He enjoyed his time under Coach Kill, but wanted to continue to further his career.

He interviewed with Boise State, but they were looking for someone with more West Coast ties. Coach Peterson spoke to Coach Davie oif New Mexico and recommend Josh. New Mexico has former Gopher defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove, who is an Inside Linebacker coach with the Lobos and that relationship probably helped his landing the job.

Josh will do a good job at New Mexico. He has mostly Midwest ties, but is a hard worker and has a strong love of the game.

Chris Monter

Chris Monter said:
I think that Josh's current position is an upgrade. He had a smaller, but still important role under Coach Kill, who brought in most of his staff with him from Northern Illinois. He enjoyed his time under Coach Kill, but wanted to continue to further his career.

He interviewed with Boise State, but they were looking for someone with more West Coast ties. Coach Peterson spoke to Coach Davie oif New Mexico and recommend Josh. New Mexico has former Gopher defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove, who is an Inside Linebacker coach with the Lobos and that relationship probably helped his landing the job.

Josh will do a good job at New Mexico. He has mostly Midwest ties, but is a hard worker and has a strong love of the game.

Chris Monter

Wow, Kevin Cosgrove's career has been a 200 mph free fall.

Wow, Kevin Cosgrove's career has been a 200 mph free fall.
He keeps getting hired, so some folks think he knows what he is doing. When he had players here we were not that bad against running offenses, against spread offenses, I think his D has issues.

corcoran1 said:
He keeps getting hired, so some folks think he knows what he is doing. When he had players here we were not that bad against running offenses, against spread offenses, I think his D has issues.

He keeps going backwards in his career, now he is back to a position coach at a non BCS program. At this rate he will be an intern in another couple of years or coaching pee wee football. Seriously though, he is probably where he belongs now as the game appears to have passed him by.

We don't need in-state recruiting to be successful.

Look elsewhere.

Go Gophers!

There is little chance Jerry Kill lands almost every in-state recruit without him.

lol

He keeps getting hired, so some folks think he knows what he is doing.

I think people probably fall into the trap of: "Hey! He was a defensive coordinator at Wisconsin and Nebraska! He's GOT to be good."

Top Bottom