Doogie: Cashman and Carpenter expected to receive scholarships

Uh, yeah... let's get on this.

Carpenter:

2016 • SOPHOMORE SEASON: Made 22-of-24 field goals (91.6%) • named Big Ten’s Bakken-Andersen Kicker of the Year (first Gopher to be honored with this award) and was a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award • named All-Big Ten First Team by the media and All-Big Ten Second Team by Big Ten coaches • scored 109 points, which tied Dan Nystrom (109 points in 2000) for most all-time by a Minnesota kicker • his 109 points also ranks tied for second all-time with Nystrom for any Gopher behind Gary Russell (114 points in 2005) • ranked fifth in the Big Ten in scoring • made his first nine field goals (tied for sixth longest streak in school history) to start the year and ended the season with 12 consecutive made field goals (fourth longest streak in school history) • perfect 10-of-10 on field goals from 40 yards or greater and was the only kicker in the nation - minimum of six kicks - to accomplish this feat • was 8-of-8 from 40-49 yards and 2-of-2 from 50-plus yards • career long field goal of 53 yards came against Purdue • notched 38 touchbacks on 76 kickoffs • Academic All-Big Ten.

Cashman:

2016 • SOPHOMORE SEASON: Played in all 13 games • recorded 43.5 tackles with a team leading 7.5 sacks and one forced fumble • earned one Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week Award and was named Holiday Bowl Defensive Most Valuable Player • Academic All-Big Ten.

Carpenter is another example of the previous regime recognizing how to best allocate talent.

I questioned the switch with Santoso...especially when Ryan went a little bonkers later in the season...but it was definitely the right move.

Uh, yeah... let's get on this.

Carpenter:

2016 • SOPHOMORE SEASON: Made 22-of-24 field goals (91.6%) • named Big Ten’s Bakken-Andersen Kicker of the Year (first Gopher to be honored with this award) and was a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award • named All-Big Ten First Team by the media and All-Big Ten Second Team by Big Ten coaches • scored 109 points, which tied Dan Nystrom (109 points in 2000) for most all-time by a Minnesota kicker • his 109 points also ranks tied for second all-time with Nystrom for any Gopher behind Gary Russell (114 points in 2005) • ranked fifth in the Big Ten in scoring • made his first nine field goals (tied for sixth longest streak in school history) to start the year and ended the season with 12 consecutive made field goals (fourth longest streak in school history) • perfect 10-of-10 on field goals from 40 yards or greater and was the only kicker in the nation - minimum of six kicks - to accomplish this feat • was 8-of-8 from 40-49 yards and 2-of-2 from 50-plus yards • career long field goal of 53 yards came against Purdue • notched 38 touchbacks on 76 kickoffs • Academic All-Big Ten.

Cashman:

2016 • SOPHOMORE SEASON: Played in all 13 games • recorded 43.5 tackles with a team leading 7.5 sacks and one forced fumble • earned one Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week Award and was named Holiday Bowl Defensive Most Valuable Player • Academic All-Big Ten.

Need to fix the culture so these kids can be successful student athletes

These two would seem like no brainers for scholarships given how they both played this season. Even with a new staff I would think they would do their research and know that these two earned it.

I don't think they can go on scholarship until fall semester without being counted in the incoming class.

If they wait until fall, they just count against the 85.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't think they can go on scholarship until fall semester without being counted in the incoming class.

If they wait until fall, they just count against the 85.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That only applies (to the best of my knowledge) if the players have not completed two years of school. The rule is in place to stop people from circumventing the rules through the use of grayshirting guys.

So Cashman will have to wait until the summer (if they don't want his scholarship to count against the incoming class).
Carpenter can get one right now without counting towards the incoming class because he is a RS SO.

Bob is right. Carpenter gets his now and Cashman will get his later without affecting the current class.

I know when this came up on the Sports Huddle, Claeys said his staff had a plan to award both players with scholarships, but were waiting under the rules until the 2 scholarships would not count against the current year's class. If I remember correctly, Claeys said they had communicated that to the players so they knew where they stood.

Of course, any agreement Claeys made is not necessarily binding on Fleck. But, I dare say the returning players will be watching to see how Fleck handles the situation.

Meh, neither one was ranked very high on Rivals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If 60s guy is right, that brings out scholarship + commit count to 87 [emoji15]

Is Conor suddenly really good or something?

He didn't beat out Mitch, ran the scout team as QB as I understand it.... his one game they went all ultra conservative.

Now we ask him not to leave and hand out a scholarship?

If 60s guy is right, that brings out scholarship + commit count to 87 [emoji15]

Rhoda was already accounted for- the BIG kicker of the year brings it to 86. cashman will make 87 this summer.

Is Conor suddenly really good or something?

He didn't beat out Mitch, ran the scout team as QB as I understand it.... his one game they went all ultra conservative.

Now we ask him not to leave and hand out a scholarship?

He already had a scholarship. That's why he was about to leave. The previous regime liked to push players out of the program against their wishes when they felt they were done with a player - see Ace Rogers and Rhoda. Both of them wanted to stay and compete for a spot next year.

He's being asked to stay because, regardless of if he is starting QB quality, we need QB depth bad next year.

Rhoda was already accounted for- the BIG kicker of the year brings it to 86. cashman will make 87 this summer.

Thanks. I recall now you are the one tracking this. Much appreciated.

The fact we are over 85 speaks volumes.

He already had a scholarship. That's why he was about to leave. The previous regime liked to push players out of the program against their wishes when they felt they were done with a player - see Ace Rogers and Rhoda. Both of them wanted to stay and compete for a spot next year.

He's being asked to stay because, regardless of if he is starting QB quality, we need QB depth bad next year.

With the status of two QBs up in the air due to the investigation it becomes vital to keep as many warm bodies on hand as possible at the QB position. Rhoda may have limited value as a starter but in terms of experience he is right there at the top of a very thin group right now.

Top Bottom