Don't look too much into the Indiana game...

ZouFan08

Reaction score
Ok, now that I have your attention...lol.

I have seen MANY references to our loss to Indiana. While they are mostly right, it's not the whole story. We were missing some major players from that game. Now, that all seems like excuses (and to an extent, it is :rolleyes:). I guess what I'm trying to say, is that (believe it or not-to me anyway), the Georgia game was much more embarrassing (even though they are leaps and bounds better than Indiana). I think we all would agree that Indiana *probably* wouldn't beat anyone in the SEC (outside of Vanderbilt and possibly Kentucky-on a normal day). It was a bad game. Like this Illinois game for you guys (even though that's not AS bad). As a Mizzou homer, I'm guessing Mizzou by a TD. I just think the improvements made since the Indiana/Georgia games will make the difference. That being said, Cobb concerns me BIGTIME!

Btw, we still should have beaten Indiana.....No excuse in the world is that good. (I was just trying to ease it up a bit)

ZouFan08

What is your fan base's confidence level that you didn't blow your load against Alabama in the championship game? Are you guys pretty confident that you'll come ready to play?

What is your fan base's confidence level that you didn't blow your load against Alabama in the championship game? Are you guys pretty confident that you'll come ready to play?

Good question and would add on by asking is there a letdown playing MN rather than their your natural rival Nebraska who I think is what Mizzou was hoping for in this game.

On the plus side, thanks to Ole Miss, Mizzou will only have the second worst SEC bowl loss.

Well, I can't speak for others, but in my opinion, the Georgia and Indiana loss were both much worse than the Bama loss. No one would say that we were seriously ever in that game, but we were hanging with Bama (only 8 pts down in the 3rd), and since it's Bama, well I take that with more ease. I feel as though Mizzou was just happy to have won the East and didn't play as well as they could have (wouldn't have mattered a ton I don't think though). Then there was the stupid Ray targeting penalty (correct) that hurt. I admit, mostly excuses, but there's a bit of truth in there. Honestly, I've never seen a more hit and miss Mizzou squad in my years of watching them. I've seen Mizzou absolutely thrash bowl teams with great players (Arkansas with Darren McFadden and Felix Jones) as well as Okie St with Justin Blackmon, but then pee the bed with teams like Navy and Iowa (who we were favored over).

I, like the pros that make their picks, feel like this game is going to be a close one. If either team beats the other by more than 2 td's, I will be SHOCKED!

ZouFan08

Good question and would add on by asking is there a letdown playing MN rather than their your natural rival Nebraska who I think is what Mizzou was hoping for in this game.

Well for me, it was only a very small *initial* letdown. Only due to name (no offense) and the old rivalry. Most Mizzou fans still feel as though Nebraska needs beat again after they put it on us for so many years. Once I started researching Minnesota, then I was just as happy if not more so than if we had gotten Neb.

ZouFan08

No reason to. It should be treated like the tOSU loss to Virginia Tech. It was their second game of the season. Reeled off 11 wins in a row since then. Indy was your 4th game of the season, so it should be weighted slightly heavier, but winning 6 out of your last 7 is far more meaningful.

The Gophers took the Illini lightly. Kill and Company haven't made that mistake since.

Hopefully none of you think that I'm attempting to trash talk in any way. I truly believe this will be a close game. (on paper-how could you not?) I think Minnesota is a touch better than a 25 ranking and I believe Mizzou is a couple of spots too high personally. (some might disagree). There's not a Mizzou fan in the world who is putting a lot of stock in our offense (this is the polar opposite of the 2007 offense). I've seen Mauk show up and be lights out, but it's somewhat rare. He's like an old west gunfighter. He is MORE than willing to pull the trigger, but you just never know what's going to happen when he does. He is the passing leader in the history of High School football. Unfortunately, unless Minnesota is a H.S. team, that means didley.

Minnesota Offense vs. Mizzou Defense. That's the thing to watch. (imo)

ZouFan08

Certainly do appreciate the insights & respectful tone you have set. I am just so stoked to be attending my first ever bowl game in person, and hope both squads play a great game...hard, clean, with minimal mistakes. And no injuries!

Happy New Year, all. Go, Gophers!

Certainly do appreciate the insights & respectful tone you have set. I am just so stoked to be attending my first ever bowl game in person, and hope both squads play a great game...hard, clean, with minimal mistakes. And no injuries!

Happy New Year, all. Go, Gophers!

I agree wholeheartedly Carlson. Mizzou (I can speak of) needs to keep their aggressiveness without the targeting....This has probably been the best bowl game as far as great fan interaction that I can remember (although Northwestern fans were cool). Thanks to you all and may your team play well (not too well though!) :p

ZouFan08

Hopefully none of you think that I'm attempting to trash talk in any way. I truly believe this will be a close game. (on paper-how could you not?) I think Minnesota is a touch better than a 25 ranking and I believe Mizzou is a couple of spots too high personally. (some might disagree). There's not a Mizzou fan in the world who is putting a lot of stock in our offense (this is the polar opposite of the 2007 offense). I've seen Mauk show up and be lights out, but it's somewhat rare. He's like an old west gunfighter. He is MORE than willing to pull the trigger, but you just never know what's going to happen when he does. He is the passing leader in the history of High School football. Unfortunately, unless Minnesota is a H.S. team, that means didley.

Minnesota Offense vs. Mizzou Defense. That's the thing to watch. (imo)

ZouFan08

There's nothing wrong with a little friendly trash talk.

Missouri stinks.

Well, I can't speak for others, but in my opinion, the Georgia and Indiana loss were both much worse than the Bama loss. No one would say that we were seriously ever in that game, but we were hanging with Bama (only 8 pts down in the 3rd), and since it's Bama, well I take that with more ease. I feel as though Mizzou was just happy to have won the East and didn't play as well as they could have (wouldn't have mattered a ton I don't think though). Then there was the stupid Ray targeting penalty (correct) that hurt. I admit, mostly excuses, but there's a bit of truth in there. Honestly, I've never seen a more hit and miss Mizzou squad in my years of watching them. I've seen Mizzou absolutely thrash bowl teams with great players (Arkansas with Darren McFadden and Felix Jones) as well as Okie St with Justin Blackmon, but then pee the bed with teams like Navy and Iowa (who we were favored over).

I, like the pros that make their picks, feel like this game is going to be a close one. If either team beats the other by more than 2 td's, I will be SHOCKED!

ZouFan08

I don't think you fully understood what I was asking. I was more alluding to the fact that you guys have already had your "bowl game" or "Super Bowl" or whatever you want to call it against Alabama. Playing in the Citrus Bowl is likely a "Who cares?" kind of feeling after you had your chance to win the SEC and go to a New Year's Six bowl game. You've been in the Cotton Bowl and two SEC Championship games in the last two years. The Citrus Bowl has to be a major let down after the last two years. On the other hand, this is our best bowl game in the last 50 years and we couldn't be more excited.

We've had countless examples of teams that simply don't care about showing up for their bowl game like Oklahoma and Ole Miss this season. Are your fans worried about a similar let down from the team?

I don't think you fully understood what I was asking. I was more alluding to the fact that you guys have already had your "bowl game" or "Super Bowl" or whatever you want to call it against Alabama. Playing in the Citrus Bowl is likely a "Who cares?" kind of feeling after you had your chance to win the SEC and go to a New Year's Six bowl game. You've been in the Cotton Bowl and two SEC Championship games in the last two years. The Citrus Bowl has to be a major let down after the last two years. On the other hand, this is our best bowl game in the last 50 years and we couldn't be more excited.

We've had countless examples of teams that simply don't care about showing up for their bowl game like Oklahoma and Ole Miss this season. Are your fans worried about a similar let down from the team?

I see what you're saying now. It could be argued however that the Citrus Bowl is a very good bowl considering Bama's domination of us. I still believe that the team is doing everything they can to earn respect within the SEC. (if you read any SEC message board you'll soon come across somewhat saying, "you don't belong" or "we don't want you here".) It's very commonplace if you will. I do understand that Minnesota (with their lesser-recent history) feels like they have more to play for (and I am a bit concerned about that). However, that being said, there were MANY times this year whereas Mizzou went into a game with the majority of SEC fans predicting a win over Mizzou (Tennessee, aTm, Florida, and especially Arkansas). Whether we were or not, that's how it was perceived. In essence, most SEC blue-bloods don't like us at all....But, as I say, regardless of what is said about the SEC East, we've been the Champs two out of the first 3 years in the conference. Oh, and speaking of 2012 (our 1st year/5-7), if you would research our injuries that year, they were unfortunately impressive. Many SEC poster said (at that time) "Mizzou can't hang in the SEC due to their lack of depth"....And then the last two years, (especially last year) they b*tched about themselves having injuries and saying "the only reason Mizzou won the East is because of injuries from other teams".....Wait, you can't have it both ways....Sheesh!

ZouFan08

Like this Illinois game for you guys (even though that's not AS bad.)

The Illinois loss was bad, very bad. The good thing is that we bounced back with a strong finish, even with a brutal schedule to end the season. Missouri did the same thing after the Indiana loss. This should be a great game against two evenly matched teams.

The Illinois loss was bad, very bad. The good thing is that we bounced back with a strong finish, even with a brutal schedule to end the season. Missouri did the same thing after the Indiana loss. This should be a great game against two evenly matched teams.

Very true. Mizzou seems to me to be a one half team. Unfortunately, I never know which half is going to show up.

ZouFan08

Ok, now that I have your attention...lol.

I have seen MANY references to our loss to Indiana. While they are mostly right, it's not the whole story. We were missing some major players from that game. Now, that all seems like excuses (and to an extent, it is :rolleyes:). I guess what I'm trying to say, is that (believe it or not-to me anyway), the Georgia game was much more embarrassing (even though they are leaps and bounds better than Indiana). I think we all would agree that Indiana *probably* wouldn't beat anyone in the SEC (outside of Vanderbilt and possibly Kentucky-on a normal day). It was a bad game. Like this Illinois game for you guys (even though that's not AS bad). As a Mizzou homer, I'm guessing Mizzou by a TD. I just think the improvements made since the Indiana/Georgia games will make the difference. That being said, Cobb concerns me BIGTIME!

Btw, we still should have beaten Indiana.....No excuse in the world is that good. (I was just trying to ease it up a bit)

ZouFan08

Don't get to carried away with your mighty SEC talk. It looks like Indiana could beat Ole Miss.

Really, Mizou should have been a part of the B1G.

Also, why are all of the SEC teams afraid to come play a B1G team up here in the cold?

Don't get to carried away with your mighty SEC talk. It looks like Indiana could beat Ole Miss.

Really, Mizou should have been a part of the B1G.

Also, why are all of the SEC teams afraid to come play a B1G team up here in the cold?

Transitive property is awesome!!

Ole Miss beat Bama.....Means nothing when referring to other games. You know better than that. If I were to ask other Big Ten fans from other schools, where do you think they would say IU would end up in the SEC? I was being very easy on Indiana saying they *might* beat UK...

ZouFan08

Very true. Mizzou seems to me to be a one half team. Unfortunately, I never know which half is going to show up.

ZouFan08

Yeah, well Indiana always has a flashy offense with no defense to back it up. If you get into a track meet with them you might lose. Been there done that. As for the Illinois game, the Gophers were just flat. I don't expect anything like that from them in the Citrus Bowl.

I'd also hoped for Missouri to join the B1G. Love Columbia and geographically it just seemed like a natural fit, certainly better than Nebraska in that regard.

I'm expecting a couple of bombs to Fruechte to work for us, tomorrow. Just a hunch. Also, watch out for Santoso on a fake at some point. Get that big boy in the open field, and look OUT!

I don't think the team will be down trodden with playing Minn. in a New Year's Day bowl. Not a let down from playing Bama in the aspect it's a more winnable game. The Mizzou program hasn't reached the point of being in a position to be disinterested or unmotivated in a bowl game.

Top Bottom