Donnell Kirkwood

Wheaton

Reaction score
Anyone else excited to see this kid in a run heavy-Jerry Kill-offense? I thought he looked good in the short time he played before injury.

Kill has coached kids such as Chad Spann (1330 yards 20TD's), Michael Turner (1915 yards, 19TDs)
and Garrett Wolfe (1976 yards and 18TDs)

I think he will make a stud out of him yet!

Im excited to see all our backs in this offense, and especially MG. Our offense was the biggest question mark going into next year, now I'm not so sure.

I think we have the talent on offense for the Gophers to be much improved last year with just having a solid coach on board.

Defense has a lot further to go.

I do like the idea of players the Gophers have playing the KILL SYSTEM.

I'm excited to see who actually stays around. And by excited I mean anxious. I will be shocked if we don't lose a number of talented players by the time Christmas roles around, and I am interested to see if Kill can actually figure out how to recruit fast to plug the existiing wholes in our roster while keeping up with the exodus that may yet come. Is he going to do enough to make this product at all worth watching in three years? I am skeptical.

If Kirkwood sticks around I will be excited to see him in the system, but there are a lot of ifs right now. We have a young team, and young teams have a lot of transfer options.

Anyone else excited to see this kid in a run heavy-Jerry Kill-offense? I thought he looked good in the short time he played before injury.

Kill has coached kids such as Chad Spann (1330 yards 20TD's), Michael Turner (1915 yards, 19TDs)
and Garrett Wolfe (1976 yards and 18TDs)

I think he will make a stud out of him yet!

He never coached Michael Turner (NIU, left 03) or Garrett Wolfe (NIU, left 06). He did coach Brandon Jacobs at SIU.

I think we have the talent on offense for the Gophers to be much improved last year with just having a solid coach on board.

Defense has a lot further to go.

I do like the idea of players the Gophers have playing the KILL SYSTEM.

With what we had returning on D, and having to deal with a new QB, our O was definitely the question mark. The D made huge strides throughout the year and that because we were so inexperience, and Cosgrove has a history of not getting his new players prepared. Kill's defenses have a stand up rusher generally. This position would fit Cooper perfectly. Think about Tinsley, Beal, and Rallis, with Cooper as a stand up rusher from the LB position.

Kirkwood actually reminds me quite a bit of Spann. They have similar builds and similar running styles.

I am most intrigued over who will be the new set of fullbacks. Kill seems to like to use fullbacks sort of like an H-Back (where they don't run the ball, and mostly block and pass catch a little). We have some interesting guys who might play at that slot, maybe Eure, R. Grant, heck what about go huge with KGM (was a pretty good pass catcher in HS)...

Good thread. Of the current running backs on the team, I think Kirkwood fits Kill's offensive set the best.

I like an offense that utilizes its QB as a runner. Gray, Parrish and Pride seem to be suited for that. Alipate may be best suited for a TE.

I don't see many transfers as Coach Kill seems like a good communicator and a coach the players will respond to. Other than the normal 3 or 4 who realize they won't cut it and go to D-2.

Watch out for Lamonte Edwards...I have a good feeling that this kid is going to be good from here on out (now that he has reshirted) and could be a feature back within the next two years! Size, speed and skills to be a solid big ten back and should fit into Kill's offense in the future.

I heard that Lamonte was actually going to be the Frosh running back that was going to get used last season but that he had a nagging injury in camp and Kirkwood stepped in and did well enough that they kept him in there. I haven't heard much on him, but I think we will see a lot of heads turn when we have a 230 lb running back smashing a few heads next season.

Brandan Jacobs

Could LaMonte Edwards become a Brandan Jacobs type running back? I have not seen LaMonte run...just askin

Top Bottom