Dominique Dawson

Gramenz

Reaction score
How come he didnt play at all last year was he another one that got in trouble i never really seen anything about him.. but i seen him sometimes on the bench last season.. is he suppose to play next season???

How come he didnt play at all last year was he another one that got in trouble i never really seen anything about him.. but i seen him sometimes on the bench last season.. is he suppose to play next season???

Never got in any trouble that I'm aware of. I believe the plan was to sit him on the bench all year so he could effectively be redshirted. May play in some blowouts next season, but don't expect him to be a contributor in any way.

Hmmm Why do we have him then.. if he cant contribute?

He fills a great spot on the scout team, and that's the honest truth. Some players "walk on" to simply be part of the team and contribute in same way shape or form and that doesn't necassarily mean playing time.

He's like Minnesota's version of Michigan State's Isaiah Dahlman. He's a role player, and his role right now is to play hard in practice to help make the Gophers' regulars better prepared for games. If Dawson works his butt off in the weight room, and in practice, then he has a chance to make spot appearances in games that have basically been decided. Some kids are just fine with that sort of role, just so they can be part of the program.

Never got in any trouble that I'm aware of. I believe the plan was to sit him on the bench all year so he could effectively be redshirted. May play in some blowouts next season, but don't expect him to be a contributor in any way.

I don't know why you would say this? Have you seen him playing recently? The games that he played last year did not count but he seemed to be really good. Coaches have said that he loved to learn. I liked him during the Tip-off also. He seemed very fit. Lets hope that one year of experience made him a better player. Stop the negative stuff.

Dawson will never play significant minutes for the gophers...He is a good kid, hard worker, but not very athletic looking on the court when he dribbles the ball, and also not a dead shot so yeah...

Dawson will never play significant minutes for the gophers...He is a good kid, hard worker, but not very athletic looking on the court when he dribbles the ball, and also not a dead shot so yeah...

Again, have you seen him playing lately?

I don't know why you would say this? Have you seen him playing recently? The games that he played last year did not count but he seemed to be really good. Coaches have said that he loved to learn. I liked him during the Tip-off also. He seemed very fit. Lets hope that one year of experience made him a better player. Stop the negative stuff.

Sorry, not trying to be negative, just realistic. I'm sure he is a very good kid and if he happens to contribute on the court some day then I'll be very happy for him and cheer for him as much as I do for any other player. Maybe I shouldn't have said that he won't contribute, but rather that I don't expect him to contribute in big games. He may very well contribute a lot in practice by working hard and preparing other players. Are you expecting him to get significant minutes at some point?

Like I said, if he's a kid who "loves to learn," as you say the coaches have said, and he works his butt off during offseason strength and conditioning workouts, then there is always a chance that he'll earn some time on the floor. But, more often than not, kids who are walk-ons are there to fill roles as guys who help out in practice, but rarely see the floor other than in blowout situations.

What about something called Zach Puchtel?

He was never supposed to see the floor, but he did. Granted, I realize the situations are completely different, but you just never know...

I hope he grows as a player and pushes himself and teammates enough to see some floor time by the time he's done here. If he turns into a solid rebounder, maybe he could see some spot minutes?

Dawson is a good walk-on. He may or may not have the skills to ever be a part of the rotation but he is a decent walk-on.

PS I am not comparing them whatsoever but Dusty Rychart was a walk-on who redshirted and turned out OK.

He fills a great spot on the scout team, and that's the honest truth. Some players "walk on" to simply be part of the team and contribute in same way shape or form and that doesn't necassarily mean playing time.

These guys can never be overlooked when it comes to building a successful program. To quote Jeff Boschee's book Long Shot "Jelani Janisse introduced me to college basketball. I know that sounds odd, but from a technical standpoint, it's true. Jelani Was one of our guards my first season at KU..... Jelani never let up. he worked my buff off every afternoon. He'd bump me, occasionally strip the ball from me, but I learned to work harder. I began to concentrate on my ball handling and developed the ability to protect the ball and keep my focus I became a better basketball player. Jelani never got tremendous amounts of playing time during his career. In my mind, he's one of those guys who helps a team in ways the average fan will never know.... Without him applying pressure, teams like Oklahoma and Missouri would ave a easy time with us every year.... We become good players because of the intensity of other good players. That's why it's called a team effort."

How can you say that? He was good enough to walk-on to a DI basketball team, he's 6'7''...this is not some 5'8'' point guard from Sartell. Let the kid develop. Who knows, maybe he gets in a position to contribute sooner rather than later. Maybe he never plays a minute. Either way, I think its foolish to write him off after one redshirt season.

Sorry, not trying to be negative, just realistic. I'm sure he is a very good kid and if he happens to contribute on the court some day then I'll be very happy for him and cheer for him as much as I do for any other player. Maybe I shouldn't have said that he won't contribute, but rather that I don't expect him to contribute in big games. He may very well contribute a lot in practice by working hard and preparing other players. Are you expecting him to get significant minutes at some point?

I really don't know. Tubby has had very few walk-ons in the past. The best one that I can remember was Ravi Moss. He became an excellent player over the years that was granted a scolly. Lets wait and see. Like I said, during the no-count games, he was the best rebounder on the court. He is very athletic so there is a chance that he can be a 5,10-minutes physical player in the team against players like Green of MSU. I am not saying that he is in the same level as Green. I am saying that he can ware people out in Big10.

I really don't know. Tubby has had very few walk-ons in the past. The best one that I can remember was Ravi Moss. He became an excellent player over the years that was granted a scolly. Lets wait and see. Like I said, during the no-count games, he was the best rebounder on the court. He is very athletic so there is a chance that he can be a 5,10-minutes physical player in the team against players like Green of MSU. I am not saying that he is in the same level as Green. I am saying that he can ware people out in Big10.

Matt Heissenbuttel and Cory Sears in 2000 - neither was major factor at UK.

Preston LeMaster (and Moss) in 2002 - LeMaster was strictly practice and mop-up player.

Moss was on academic scholsrship all 4 years but never received an athletic scholarship.

Mark Coury in 2006 - again practice player with mop-up minutes in games.

Matt Heissenbuttel and Cory Sears in 2000 - neither was major factor at UK.

Preston LeMaster (and Moss) in 2002 - LeMaster was strictly practice and mop-up player.

Moss was on academic scholsrship all 4 years but never received an athletic scholarship.

Mark Coury in 2006 - again practice player with mop-up minutes in games.

Thanks FOT. My mistake. I thought that Ravi had a scholarship later years as the reporters used to say during the games. With the exception of Moss all the players that you mentioned were not nearly as good as this guy. I am a big fan of his not just because he is a good kid. He also has lots of potential to be a really good player in D1 basketball.

Top Bottom