Does Tubby have the right players to.........

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
.......use his press package?

We may not have a ball hawk on the squad like Nolan but I feel there could be enough quick guys to make it work; Williams, Hollins x 2, Coleman, etc.

And more depth than last year too. That is big for him running the system that he wants to.

.......use his press package?

We may not have a ball hawk on the squad like Nolan but I feel there could be enough quick guys to make it work; Williams, Hollins x 2, Coleman, etc.

Not saying Andre is as good as Nolen in this regard, but he seems to love picking guys up full court and I think he's pretty good at it. With guys like Austin, Rodney, and Coleman in addition like you mentioned I think this team does have the right players. I really hope Tubby uses the press on a regular basis because it could be a lot of fun to watch.

Andre has the athleticism to pressure the ball, and there are multiple athletes on the team so I'm guessing Tubby will include pressure defense as part of his plan for this season.

I think there is no doubt Tubby needs to press with this group. It is more athletic than skilled. Half court basketball will not get us to 20 wins. To keep everyone happy it would be best to press as much as possible and play lots of players when he can.

We may press a lot in November and December, but once B1G play arrives rest assured the Gophers will need to execute in the half court. It's just the way it is in the B1G.

If the Gophers are better this season than they were in 2010-11, it will be because they improve significantly in the half court. It won't be because they become a hybrid, pressing B1G team.

A pressing defense can work both ways. In the past few years the Gophers have had more trouble with the press than their opponents. When the other team returns the favor, we end up at a disadvantage. I don't see the press being used on a regular basis.

If the Gophers are better this season than they were in 2010-11, it will be because they improve significantly in the half court. It won't be because they become a hybrid, pressing B1G team.

Yeah, in the Big 1? I can see a team like Illinois perhaps giving the press a shot, but can't see the Gophers doing it.

Tons of coaches talk up the 'run and gun, defensive pressure, etc' game plan, but the majority don't follow through.

Tubby preaches easy baskets. That's why I said it before that the only players that would fit in his system would have been Al and Damian. This team seems to be full of that type of players.

I know what many will say these days, couldas, wouldas don't count any more. If you get a chance, find a tape for UK vs Florida game that took place when Florida was #1 team in the country. Tubby was at his best. Watch out B1G teams. Tubby is back.

Go Gophers

Tons of coaches talk up the 'run and gun, defensive pressure, etc' game plan, but the majority don't follow through.

Exactly. Even Izzo, one of the best in the biz, prefers to play up-tempo (see his teams with Mateen Cleaves), but it's difficult to pull off in the B1G. I'd be more concerned about teams pressing the Gophers than I am gung-ho about the Gophers becoming this pressing, running team we keep hearing about. It might work until January, but at that point if the Gophers want to be successful they'll have to be able to grind/slug it out in the half court vs. the likes of OSU, MSU, Wis, Pur, etc. You just don't see many free-wheelin', runnin' and pressin' games in the 80's in the B1G.

No team can press full time, but having a team that can mix the press in and play aggressive man to man defense in the half court would be a huge step in the right direction. Last years team was forced to play zone most of the time, because they could not play man to man defense effectively. I am hopeful that this team with the improved athleticism will be able to use multiple defensive approaches.

SelectionSunday said:
Exactly. Even Izzo, one of the best in the biz, prefers to play up-tempo (see his teams with Mateen Cleaves), but it's difficult to pull off in the B1G. I'd be more concerned about teams pressing the Gophers than I am gung-ho about the Gophers becoming this pressing, running team we keep hearing about. It might work until January, but at that point if the Gophers want to be successful they'll have to be able to grind/slug it out in the half court vs. the likes of OSU, MSU, Wis, Pur, etc. You just don't see many free-wheelin', runnin' and pressin' games in the 80's in the B1G.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1110089/index.htm

From the Article:

Never have tempo (possessions per game) and efficiency (points scored and allowed per possession) been hotter topics than on the eve of this year's NCAA tournament. In 2005 Wisconsin- Milwaukee and Alabama-Birmingham, two of the nation's most frenetic teams, upset SEC and Big East powers using gambling full-court-press defenses, while Bucknell's grind-it-out approach (think Tiger versus Williams) yielded a 64-63 first-round upset of third-seeded Kansas. The Tar Heels were the fastest-paced team in the field of 65, had the nation's most efficient offense and owned the seventh most efficient defense. (No wonder they won the title.) Meanwhile, three other efficiency experts- Illinois, Louisville and Michigan State-rounded out the Final Four.

But every tempo strategy has a counter, of course. What if Oral Roberts decides to walk it up against first-round opponent Memphis, the tournament's second-fastest-paced team? "If [the Golden Eagles] want to hold the ball, then great," says Calipari. "We'll deny every pass, we'll trap the wings, we'll make the game speed up. Let's get them down by eight or nine points, and if they keep [that slow pace], eight or nine will seem like 20."

It has nothing to do with the Big10 IMO. Its all about how efficient you are and how you can impose your tempo on the other team. If you can force them to play fast, you win, if they force you to play slow, they win. Gophers need to play fast, aggressive, and force other teams to keep up with us. IMO, we have the athletes and the players to do just that.

Not a damned one of us knows what Tubby will use. He is a MUCH better judge of talent than any of us.

Go Gophers!!!

Considering the number of games we dropped last year by just a few buckets, I don't think it will hurt to have a squad that can put a little full court on teams at times and maybe generate two or three of those "easy" buckets that turn a 4 point loss into a 2 point win. Then confidence builds from there. When guys are scoring in transition, it becomes easier to score in half court as well.

They talk about it all the time, when you're struggling with your shot, get some easy buckets or get to the FT line. Getting a few runouts can be that type of thing for this team.

Not a damned one of us knows what Tubby will use. He is a MUCH better judge of talent than any of us.

Go Gophers!!!

Make sure to add this to the items not allowed to be discussed.

Top Bottom