Does the Big East deserve AQ in the BCS?

Goldmember

Reaction score
I would say that they do not. And this would open-up a 5th valuable "at-large" spot.

It made sense when the BCS was invented. But the loss of Boston College, Virginia Tech and Miami hould have put their AQ status in question at the time. The only reason why it didn't was that a young BCS thought they needed to maintain a presence in the NE to establish legitimacy.

IMO, replacing Miami, V-Tech, and Boston College with Cincy, South Florida and Louisville has not kept them anywhere near a BCS-level conference.

This came to mind with the Brian Kelly thing. It seems like anytime a Big East team is on the national stage their coach is going to bolt soon.

The Big East is not even close to the 5 power conferences. If you the watch the defense played in the Big East it is much closer to the kind of athletes you see playing in the MAC. The defense are uniformly sloppy even on the best Big East teams. Watching that Pitt/Cincy game I was struck by how Cincy's D was constantly out of position as if Pitt's vanilla straight ahead rushing offense was some new and confusing scheme. I noticed the same thing when I watched Cincy/South Florida. The offense are ok, but most of the giant plays generated in the Big East are due to the ineptitude of the defense rather than the precision of the offense. I honestly think if you took the Mountain West Conference's top 3 teams they would go undefeated against the top 3 of the Big East. I don't see Cincy hanging with TCU, or the other Big East schools having any answer for Utah or BYU. The only reason the Big East doesn't look worse is because their BCS game is almost always against a team from the worst of the real major conferences (the ACC).

I would say that they do not. And this would open-up a 5th valuable "at-large" spot.

It made sense when the BCS was invented. But the loss of Boston College, Virginia Tech and Miami hould have put their AQ status in question at the time. The only reason why it didn't was that a young BCS thought they needed to maintain a presence in the NE to establish legitimacy.

IMO, replacing Miami, V-Tech, and Boston College with Cincy, South Florida and Louisville has not kept them anywhere near a BCS-level conference.

This came to mind with the Brian Kelly thing. It seems like anytime a Big East team is on the national stage their coach is going to bolt soon.

I disagree and am wondering if you have any evidence to back up your premise. At this point you are listing the status of the league 6 seasons ago and the apparent penchant of Big East coaches for "bolting" to other jobs as the reasons you question their AQ bid.

Regarding the coaches, what you fail to account for is that the 2 biggest bolters (RichRod/Kelly) left for destination jobs with much more prestige, money, and built in advantages then their Big East programs. Michigan and ND are programs that almost any coach in the country would go to. Another (Petrino) left for the riches of the NFL and subsiquently quit in shame while returning to college FB. And the final "big name" to leave (Dantonio) left while Cincy was still on the rise and hasn't fully proven his worth as a hire at MSU. I'm confused how any of this has any bearing on the AQ discussion.

You are correct that the loss of VTech, Miami, and BC combined with the poor quality of their champion at the time (the '04 Pitt team that lost to Utah) brought their AQ status into question. What you haven't done is show any actual evidence that the Big East doesn't deserve its auto-ranking right now. Over the past 4-5 years, the Big East has pulled itself together and has earned the right to hold an auto-bid. I'm not saying they are the strongest of the AQ leagues top to bottom, but the quality of the teams at the top of the table each season are strong enough that they don't deserve to be replaced by an at large bid.

I'm also interested in how you justify the use of Cincy (they of back to back conference titles, 33 wins over the past 3 seasons, and 1 second away from an appearance in this season's National Title game) as an example of a school that hasn't helped the Big East.

I disagree and am wondering if you have any evidence to back up your premise. At this point you are listing the status of the league 6 seasons ago and the apparent penchant of Big East coaches for "bolting" to other jobs as the reasons you question their AQ bid.

Regarding the coaches, what you fail to account for is that the 2 biggest bolters (RichRod/Kelly) left for destination jobs with much more prestige, money, and built in advantages then their Big East programs. Michigan and ND are programs that almost any coach in the country would go to. Another (Petrino) left for the riches of the NFL and subsiquently quit in shame while returning to college FB. And the final "big name" to leave (Dantonio) left while Cincy was still on the rise and hasn't fully proven his worth as a hire at MSU. I'm confused how any of this has any bearing on the AQ discussion.

You are correct that the loss of VTech, Miami, and BC combined with the poor quality of their champion at the time (the '04 Pitt team that lost to Utah) brought their AQ status into question. What you haven't done is show any actual evidence that the Big East doesn't deserve its auto-ranking right now. Over the past 4-5 years, the Big East has pulled itself together and has earned the right to hold an auto-bid. I'm not saying they are the strongest of the AQ leagues top to bottom, but the quality of the teams at the top of the table each season are strong enough that they don't deserve to be replaced by an at large bid.

I'm also interested in how you justify the use of Cincy (they of back to back conference titles, 33 wins over the past 3 seasons, and 1 second away from an appearance in this season's National Title game) as an example of a school that hasn't helped the Big East.

There's nothing quantitative that suggests the Big East is not at the level of its BCS peers. And Cincy does deserve credit for their string of good seasons. On the other hand, someone has to win Big East wheather you have removed 3 of the strongest programs or not. But if we can agree that there are certain aspects that all BCS conferences should have in common I think it becomes clear that the Big East still doesn't fit in at all.

WVU and Cincy were certainly close to getting into the NC game. But this possability was often described as a "BCS-crisis". Most college football analysts seemed to suggest that TCU would have been in the NC game instead of Cincy had Texas lost. Shouldn't a conference champion from a real BCS conference that also goes undefeated be more universally regarded as a legitimate NC contender?

It is a problem for college football that America was more interested in the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsetia Bowl than the Orange Bowl. But the on-field talent was just more compelling.

While the ACC has been lacking a power-house claiber team for several years, the conference currently has a very strong middle that makes up for it. No one is going to win the ACC and go undefeated without being among the best in college football. I'm just not so sure we can say the same about Cincy and the Big East. The Big East Champion is judged on the basis of 7 games. For every other conference (except the Big Ten) it's 9 games. No BCS bowl wanted an automatic tie-in with Big East champion.

ESPN pushed a "Boise State vs. Ohio State" controversey for BCS inclusion last year. I think it would have been better if the debate had been between Boise State and Cincy. This year Cincy clearly deserves to be playing against Florida. But in a typical year the Big East champion is no different than any other BCS-buster.

IMO, it also speaks volumes of what the Big East thinks of itself that they would give a second chance to a player who was kicked-off a Big Ten team for being involved in a sexual assult. It wasn't that long ago that these guys would only be brought back by D1-AA or D-2 programs.

I think the first sentence in your second paragraph adds to Goldmember's point. It says something that the jobs you mentioned have "more prestige, money, and built in advantages" than the jobs at what many would say are the top two programs in the conference (UC and WVU). It also says that the Big East is the only AQ league that doesn't have any "destination jobs".

Goldmember, I agree with your overall point, and I think there needs to be a better system of determining AQ status. I take issue with two of your points:

Most college football analysts seemed to suggest that TCU would have been in the NC game instead of Cincy had Texas lost.

Were there people that really said this? If so, they're crazy. Cincinnati finished 3rd overall in the BCS rankings despite ranking 4th in both the Harris and coaches' poll. They did so because they finished ahead of TCU in every computer ranking. (In fact, they finished ahead of Texas in 4 of the 6 computer rankings, and finished ahead of Texas in the aggregate computer rankings.) Cincinnati would have unquestionably been in the national title game had Texas lost. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand how the BCS rankings, and more specifically the computer rankings, work.

Shouldn't a conference champion from a real BCS conference that also goes undefeated should be more universally regarded as a legitimate NC contender.

Cincinnati was the victim of being undefeated in a BCS conference in a year with more than 2 such teams. I don't take that as an indictment of the Big East. I don't recall anyone disparaging the SEC when Auburn got screwed in 2004.

In year's past I have thought this as well. But this year the Big East was at least better then the ACC.

In the past 5 seasons, ranked Big East teams have gone 7-6 (.538) in Bowl games while ranked Big Ten teams have gone 6-13 (.316).

Perhaps, on their boards, thaey are pondering whether the Big Ten should really be an AQ conference.

Not that it is the end-all, be-all of determining automatic qualifiers, but:

Record in BCS Bowl games (winning %):

SEC 12-5 (.710)
Pac Ten 9-4 (.692)
Big East 6-5 (.545)
Big Twelve 7-9 (.438)
Big Ten 8-11 (.421)
ACC 2-9 (.182)

Let me start by acknowledging that I doubt either of us could prove ourselves quantitatively. There are too many ways to look at the numbers. But I will give some rebuttals to your reply as I feel there some points have a flip side and some are spurious to the discussion.
There's nothing quantitative that suggests the Big East is not at the level of its BCS peers. And Cincy does deserve credit for their string of good seasons. On the other hand, someone has to win Big East wheather you have removed 3 of the strongest programs or not. But if we can agree that there are certain aspects that all BCS conferences should have in common I think it becomes clear that the Big East still doesn't fit in at all.
1) I don't see how you toss out the current system if you don't have quantitative numbers. The BCS actually has a formula that reranks the conferences over a 4 year period. Mandel explained it a couple of times in years past (sorry, couldn't locate the columns via teh Google and I am not poring through that man's archives to find it :)). And the Big East is clearing that measure (if no, we wouldn't be having this discussion). Agree or disagree with the measure (I wouldn't argue with the point of view that it is likely stacked to help current BCS conferences) it is the only objective measure out there.
2) Maybe VTech/BC/Miami were the top 3 when they left the Big East, but that just highlights the fallicy of relying on 6 years ago. Since then both Cincy and WVU have built programs that are on par with Miami over the last 5 years and well beyond BC. You can't point to what was true 6 years ago and make it true today.
3) What these "common aspects" you refer to? Are these quantitative criteria different then the unspecified ones you say do not prove that "...the Big East is not at the level of its BCS peers"? If you think there are criteria, what are they?
WVU and Cincy were certainly close to getting into the NC game. But this possability was often described as a "BCS-crisis". Most college football analysts seemed to suggest that TCU would have been in the NC game instead of Cincy had Texas lost. Shouldn't a conference champion from a real BCS conference that also goes undefeated be more universally regarded as a legitimate NC contender?
See dpdoll. Cincy would have been playing Alabama had Texas lost. And WVU would have been a no-contest title contender had they not lost to Pitt in '07. In '07 they were a prohibitive fave to appear and there was no "crisis". The real "crisis" that garnered all the attention that season came after the WVU loss and was about A) whether OSU was worthy of a title shot after an unimpressive B10 season or B) whether a 2 loss team (LSU) should be included. As for your final Q of the above paragraph, I think that speaks to the quality of the defense played by TCU plus the fact that they played and beat some legit teams versus it being some slam on Cincy.
It is a problem for college football that America was more interested in the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsetia Bowl than the Orange Bowl. But the on-field talent was just more compelling.
This has nothing to do with the AQ worthiness of the Big East.
While the ACC has been lacking a power-house claiber team for several years, the conference currently has a very strong middle that makes up for it. No one is going to win the ACC and go undefeated without being among the best in college football. I'm just not so sure we can say the same about Cincy and the Big East. The Big East Champion is judged on the basis of 7 games. For every other conference (except the Big Ten) it's 9 games. No BCS bowl wanted an automatic tie-in with Big East champion.
This is the purely opinion thing I referenced right away. Also, your note about size creates a slight apples to oranges issue. How big is the "middle" of each conference? Rutgers and USF are not pushovers...UConn is also a decent team. With Cincy, Pitt, WVU at the top this would seem to create a decent middle in the Big East too.
ESPN pushed a "Boise State vs. Ohio State" controversey for BCS inclusion last year. I think it would have been better if the debate had been between Boise State and Cincy. This year Cincy clearly deserves to be playing against Florida. But in a typical year the Big East champion is no different than any other BCS-buster.
And yet since your "big 3" left for the ACC the Big East is 3-2 in BCS games (including WVU wins over strong Georgia and Oklahoma teams, a respectable loss by Cincy last season, and that stinker of a game by Pitt that I referred to in my first response). The ACC (which you seem to infer is the closest BCS conference to the Big East) is 1-4 over the same period.
IMO, it also speaks volumes of what the Big East thinks of itself that they would give a second chance to a player who was kicked-off a Big Ten team for being involved in a sexual assult. It wasn't that long ago that these guys would only be brought back by D1-AA or D-2 programs.
This last one is asinine. Cincy, not the Big East gave Daniels a 2nd chance. By this logic it must speak volumes about the Big Ten that MSU/Dantonio let Winston back on the team the very day he was released from jail for assaulting that hockey player and seriously injuring him. In fact, the Big Ten must be a non-AQ league now that Winston got in trouble again. I'm not excusing Daniels and I didn't like it when Cincy picked him up. But that has nothing to do with the Big East as a whole or their AQ status.

I think the first sentence in your second paragraph adds to Goldmember's point. It says something that the jobs you mentioned have "more prestige, money, and built in advantages" than the jobs at what many would say are the top two programs in the conference (UC and WVU). It also says that the Big East is the only AQ league that doesn't have any "destination jobs".
Can you explain to me why destination jobs is an AQ bid criteria?

Also, how would you quantify destination job? Its a nebulous term. Despite that, I think its pretty easy to classify ND/Michigan as destination jobs. As I noted, most coaches across the country would consider leaving their position if a Michigan or ND came calling. Those who wouldn't either have their own destination job (Carroll, Meyer) or are secure in their position, make enough already, and have no reason to seek that BS that comes with a destination job (Stoops, Ferentz).

Money and advantages are not AQ qualifications. If they were then the Big Ten only has 3 schools worthy of an AQ bid.

Cincinnati finished 3rd overall in the BCS rankings despite ranking 4th in both the Harris and coaches' poll. They did so because they finished ahead of TCU in every computer ranking. (In fact, they finished ahead of Texas in 4 of the 6 computer rankings, and finished ahead of Texas in the aggregate computer rankings.) Cincinnati would have unquestionably been in the national title game had Texas lost. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand how the BCS rankings, and more specifically the computer rankings, work.

I thought I heard that several times. I could be wrong. I thought they alluded to this in the booth durring the Texas/ Nebraska game.

Perhaps some were thinking TCU would benefit disproportionately from a Texas loss via Texas-partisans voting in the human polls rallying around TCU or something. But even that doesn't seem likely.

I thought I heard that several times. I could be wrong. I thought they alluded to this in the booth durring the Texas/ Nebraska game.

Perhaps some were thinking TCU would benefit disproportionately from a Texas loss via Texas-partisans voting in the human polls might rallying around TCU or something. But even that doesn't seem likely.

I recall hearing folks suggest TCU would be the beneficiary too. I think there was definitely some question about what might happen prior to the final standings coming out because no one knew exactly how big of a bump Cincy would get off the Pitt win in the computer rankings. I don't recall anyone thinking that Cincy would jump TCU in the polls which is why the unknowns surrounding the computer average was so important. A few voters dropping Cincy or elevating TCU farther could have been the difference because while clear, the final margin was still close (.8878 to .8836). To me, that explains why there would have been questions during the Neb/Texas game before anyone had a sense of how the numbers would look.

Can you explain to me why destination jobs is an AQ bid criteria?

Also, how would you quantify destination job? Its a nebulous term. Despite that, I think its pretty easy to classify ND/Michigan as destination jobs. As I noted, most coaches across the country would consider leaving their position if a Michigan or ND came calling. Those who wouldn't either have their own destination job (Carroll, Meyer) or are secure in their position, make enough already, and have no reason to seek that BS that comes with a destination job (Stoops, Ferentz).

Money and advantages are not AQ qualifications. If they were then the Big Ten only has 3 schools worthy of an AQ bid.

None of those terms or phrases were mine - I was responding to the phrases and terms used by a previous poster and pointing out that those facts suggested that the Big East was a lesser conference. Is the fact that coaching at one of the best Big Ten programs like Michigan (not my example, just going with it) is more attractive than coaching at one of the best Big East programs like West Virginia (using the example) not something that could support the idea that the Big East is a weaker conference?

None of those terms or phrases were mine - I was responding to the phrases and terms used by a previous poster and pointing out that those facts suggested that the Big East was a lesser conference. Is the fact that coaching at one of the best Big Ten programs like Michigan (not my example, just going with it) is more attractive than coaching at one of the best Big East programs like West Virginia (using the example) not something that could support the idea that the Big East is a weaker conference?

Certainly. But I don't think anyone (at least not me) was arguing that the Big East was one of the most powerful BCS conferences. I'd agree that it is one of the 2 weakest (the ACC being the other in most recent seasons). I was just saying it had no bearing on Goldmember's original point...which was not simply about conference power but about whether the Big East deserves an AQ bid.

Certainly. But I don't think anyone (at least not me) was arguing that the Big East was one of the most powerful BCS conferences. I'd agree that it is one of the 2 weakest (the ACC being the other in most recent seasons). I was just saying it had no bearing on Goldmember's original point...which was not simply about conference power but about whether the Big East deserves an AQ bid.

Ok, then I guess the debate would be whether or not there is enough of a gap between the current AQ's to adjust the current system. Not sure if there is or not.

It may be that the counter solution to the Playoff pressure is the removal of the entire BCS tag. The same top schools are likely to get chosen anyway.

Eleven Months later...

Big East Football is in Big Trouble

The Big East responds to rumblings that the BCS bowls will be reconsidering its AQ-status the next time the contract is negotiated by announcing they will add 2 football programs. However, most think that one of those is being reserved for Villanova to move up from FCS (which hardly raises the conference's football profile).

My wild speculation:
In two years, as the BCS contracts are being renegotiated, Notre Dame agrees to play the 7-game Big East Conference football schedule (starting in 2014). Villanova agrees to play Notre Dame every year in South Bend for 12 years. Notre Dame also gets a disproportionate number of home and neutral-site games from the existing 8 football members.

However, there is a lot out there that suggests TCU is the perfect answer to the Big East's BCS-AQ problems.

You cannot use bowl records to compare conferences, because it is all about matchups. The Big Ten has a sub .500 BCS record, but how many losses have been to the national champion? How many losses have been a second BCS bid losing?
The Big East gets their best team in a BCS bowl every year, and that is it.

You can't use non-BCS bowls either, because it is all about matchups. In the Capital One Bowl, The number 2 Big Ten plays the number 3 SEC (usually ends up being the number 4 SEC and number 3 Big Ten due to BCS bids.
The Champs sports bowl pits the 2nd place Big East team against the 3rd place ACC team....hardly apples to apples. So While the 2nd or 3rd place Big Ten team is going to play Alabama, the 2nd place Big East team is going to play NC State or someone of that magnitude.

You have to think big picture. There is an equation for determining what conferences get auto bids. If the Big East falls below the threshhold, they will lose their bid....it is that simple.

Not that it is the end-all, be-all of determining automatic qualifiers, but:

Record in BCS Bowl games (winning %):

SEC 12-5 (.710)
Pac Ten 9-4 (.692)
Big East 6-5 (.545)
Big Twelve 7-9 (.438)
Big Ten 8-11 (.421)
ACC 2-9 (.182)

How many of those Big Ten losses are against Pete Carroll powerhouse USC?

If Texas had lost to USC in the 2005 national title game, think of how bad the perception of the Big 12 would be at this point.

The Big East is really void of any premier programs.

Who are there best programs? West Virginia, Pitt, Cinci, Rutgers?

West Virginia has more BCS bowl wins than: Florida State, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Alabama, Notre Dame, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oregon, Penn State, Tennessee, Auburn,

Has the same amount as Oklahoma and Georgia

The system is designed to make judgment on whether the BCS is an AQ, and it will do just that.

The system is designed to make judgment on whether the BCS is an AQ, and it will do just that.

Technically, there are criteria to determine what constitutes a BCS conference. But let's face it: that criteria exists for legal reasons rather than practical reasons. It is rendered useless because, as this article states:

"Those that come close but don’t qualify in all three criteria can apply for an exemption from the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee."

This is how the Big East remained a BCS AQ when the ACC raided three of its top 5 football programs.

ANYWAY, you must have missed the bump. This is really no longer an open question. The Big East, itself, must now know they are no longer going to continue to get an exemption from the committee. And thats why they are pursuing expansion.

Technically, there are criteria to determine what constitutes a BCS conference. But let's face it: that criteria exists for legal reasons rather than practical reasons. It is rendered useless because, as this article states:

"Those that come close but don’t qualify in all three criteria can apply for an exemption from the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee."

This is how the Big East remained a BCS AQ when the ACC raided three of its top 5 football programs.

ANYWAY, you must have missed the bump. This is really no longer an open question. The Big East, itself, must now know they are no longer going to continue to get an exemption from the committee. And thats why they are pursuing expansion.

They are pursuing expansion to solidify the stability and security of the conference. They know they are on the edge of BCS/non-BCS, so they know that an expansion can not lower the level of play in the conference and ideally it would enhance the level of play.

The MWC just keeps knocking at that door of being a BCS conference.

Top Bottom