Does Purdue get away with murder?

goldenboy

Reaction score
It seems to me that extremely physical defense that overplays the passing lane and presses the ball handler, uses lots of handchecks and physical post play is very effective. The refs have a natural tendency to let a lot go if every possession looks the same and they aren't going to blow the whistle every ten seconds, even if there is a foul. Both Michigan State and Purdue seem to get away with murder. Sure they get a couple whistles but the refs let them get away with a lot.
Since most college teams run an offense that involves running a pattern passing game, the overplay and aggressive defense is very disruptive. Most teams don't have the dominant point guard that can blow by his man in this situation, or if they do the coach has so squelched the freelancing out of his players that they don't take advantage when it is there.
Today we're going to need Westy and Devoe taking the ball into the lane when they overplay the ball and the passing lanes.

Time for us to show up and punch them in the chops. Play tough, don't be pushed around, etc. That was what was great about last night vs. MSU. They came out so physical in the second half and we stood our ground. I think we win this one by five. We are playing the best ball when it counts most. Love Devoe's added condifence!

It seems to me that extremely physical defense that overplays the passing lane and presses the ball handler, uses lots of handchecks and physical post play is very effective. The refs have a natural tendency to let a lot go if every possession looks the same and they aren't going to blow the whistle every ten seconds, even if there is a foul. Both Michigan State and Purdue seem to get away with murder. Sure they get a couple whistles but the refs let them get away with a lot.
Since most college teams run an offense that involves running a pattern passing game, the overplay and aggressive defense is very disruptive. Most teams don't have the dominant point guard that can blow by his man in this situation, or if they do the coach has so squelched the freelancing out of his players that they don't take advantage when it is there.
Today we're going to need Westy and Devoe taking the ball into the lane when they overplay the ball and the passing lanes.

Did you watch their game vs. Northwestern last night?

It seems to me the last place, with one or two rare exceptions per game, "Westy" should be is anywhere that he has to put the ball on the floor and navigate through a crowd. He's always fancied himself a ball handler, which means that every once in a while you make something work, but too many times what it means is a turnover.

You make my point for me

Northwestern's offense (based on the Princeton offense) is one of the few that aggressive D doesn't work as well. They backdoor cut you to death.
The Gopher-Boiler game is underway and we've already been mugged about a dozen times in the early minutes. A couple of whistles, a few turnovers and two or three "travels" that were really the result of contact and slapping/holding arms as Gophers moved through the lane.
I'd say my premise is clearly evident in the early going.
Tubby has a very structured offense and that tends to match up poorly with teams that dare you to take advantage of bellying up on D.

Top Bottom