Does Joey Gallo’s season average end up over the Mendoza Line?

Does he end up over .200 for the season?

• Total voters

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
He’s currently at .185 after last night’s 4 hit barrage on 8/12.

The origins of The Mendoza Line (it even involves George Brett which I wasn’t aware of) -

The Mendoza Line is baseballjargon for a .200 batting average, the supposed threshold for offensive futility at the Major League level.[1] It derives from light-hitting shortstop Mario Mendoza, who failed to reach .200 five times in his nine big league seasons.[2] When a position player's batting average falls below .200, the player is said to be "below the Mendoza Line".

When he had trouble staying above .200 in 1979 teammates began to chide him. "...Tom Paciorek and Bruce Bochteused it to make fun of me," Mendoza said in 2010. "Then they were giving George Brett a hard time because he had a slow start that year, so they told him, 'Hey, man, you're going to sink down below the Mendoza Line if you're not careful.' And then Brett mentioned it to Chris Bermanfrom ESPN, and eventually it spread and became a part of the game."

Doing the math, if he averages 2.5AB's a game over the remainder of the season, he would need to hit .238 over that time span to get to .200 overall on the year. I vote 'no'.

He has all of 47 hits this year, with 20 of them being HR's. That's absolutely remarkable on multiple levels. And he's being paid $11MM to do that.

Doing the math, if he averages 2.5AB's a game over the remainder of the season, he would need to hit .238 over that time span to get to .200 overall on the year. I vote 'no'.

He has all of 47 hits this year, with 20 of them being HR's. That's absolutely remarkable on multiple levels. And he's being paid $11MM to do that.
I find it amazing that Gallo only has 38 RBI. More than half (20) are him driving himself in.

I find it amazing that Gallo only has 38 RBI. More than half (20) are him driving himself in.
Now I'm perusing Gallo's career stats - Here's an even more shocking one that seems impossible. Gallo has 2,618 ABs in his career, and only has 3 sac flies over that span.

Gallo also has way fewer GIDP over his 2,618 AB's (14) than Correa does this year alone (22). Honestly, when you start digging into his stats, they're actually quite remarkable in how odd they are.

Thanks for doing the math on this - just think if he went on a magical run to hit .200 this season - he’d end up with 35+ Hrs this year.

Listening to the Phil’s broadcast yesterday, he played as a kid with Bryant and Harper - can you imagine pitching to that team?

He was the Gatorade Player of the Year in NV and a first round pick of the Rangers.

Last edited:

This was never updated after Gallo went on the IL, but at .177 Joey fell short of the Mendoza line.

I wonder if his foot is healing.

Game 7 of the WS, Twins down 3 in the 9th, Gallo hits a GS to take the lead and eventually win it all. Statue put up outside Target Field.

Game 7 of the WS, Twins down 3 in the 9th, Gallo hits a GS to take the lead and eventually win it all. Statue put up outside Target Field.
Silly me, I thought this would drift into obscurity.
Joseph ended up with a robust .177 BA and 142 whiffs to lead us to that record!

Top Bottom