Does every scholarship have to be a full-ride?

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I don't know if DI scholarship rules are the same as some of the lower level colleges. 35 years ago I played small college football and a lot of the guys on the team got 1/2 and 1/4 scholarships. This allowed the college to spread the money out among more players.

I'm thinking that DI schools must not be able to do that or they'd spread out a couple scholarships with some of these preferred walk-ons. Anyone know the reason they can't spread out the money. I remember reading that is what the U of M baseball team does.

I was wondering the same thing. A family friend plays FCS football. I think he has an 80% scholarship or something, but I've never heard of a FBS team giving away 80% scholarships.

I believe the answer is yes in D1 football, but not necessarily in other sports. My brother had a partial in D1 baseball where they were allowed to split them up.

I don't know if DI scholarship rules are the same as some of the lower level colleges. 35 years ago I played small college football and a lot of the guys on the team got 1/2 and 1/4 scholarships. This allowed the college to spread the money out among more players.

I'm thinking that DI schools must not be able to do that or they'd spread out a couple scholarships with some of these preferred walk-ons. Anyone know the reason they can't spread out the money. I remember reading that is what the U of M baseball team does.

D1; all scholarships are full ride and renewable at the schools discretion annually. At the D2 level they mix grants like pell grants with scholarships to give students essentially full ride scholarships.....think two for one deal.

There's a hierarchy, in Div 1, FBS football and basketball are major sports, and are full scholarships, with FBS football first and then basketball. Any scholarship money counts as a full scholarship toward the highest ranking sport. If a sport is considered a minor sport then you can split scholarships. FCS football, and lower division schools, can always split scholarships. They have two numbers scholarships and counters. FCS football gets 63 scholarships, and 85 counters, meaning the total number of kids getting scholarship money is 85 but total amount of money can't exceed the equivalent of 63 full scholarships.

I know in baseball they generally get partial scholarships. Full rides are rare. I think they can give around 12 full scholarships for up to 28 players.

Thanks for the info ... I kind of thought that. It is too bad that they can't split up the scholarships. I think a lot of these guys would come if they had part of their college paid for.

Thanks for the info ... I kind of thought that. It is too bad that they can't split up the scholarships. I think a lot of these guys would come if they had part of their college paid for.

Maybe...but the point of preferred walk-ons is to give marginal or slower developing athletes a chance to play at their dream school or a chance to play in their dream league. Plus some kids know they aren't going to play in the NFL so they choose a good school and education and then take a shot at getting on the field. The difficult part is a student athlete at a small school gets big accolades when they are awarded a FULL RIDE to any D-1 school, versus walking on at the U. That will change a little as the U competes more...but it will always be different.

Need another explanation ... difference between a preferred and regular walk-on. If I'm the parent with an average income it is a no-brainer as to which direction I would want my kid to go. Someone's going to pay for your college or your going to have to take out loans. Dreams of playing the big time are one thing but then reality needs to settle in.

Maybe...but the point of preferred walk-ons is to give marginal or slower developing athletes a chance to play at their dream school or a chance to play in their dream league. Plus some kids know they aren't going to play in the NFL so they choose a good school and education and then take a shot at getting on the field. The difficult part is a student athlete at a small school gets big accolades when they are awarded a FULL RIDE to any D-1 school, versus walking on at the U. That will change a little as the U competes more...but it will always be different.

Do you (or anyone else) know the rules, if any, about schools giving preferred walk-ons or other "recruited" student/athletes academic scholarships or other types of scholarships? I imagine this could be a tricky situation as some schools would abuse the system and just find ways to essentially give these walk-ons full-ride scholarships and call it some other type of scholarship.

Need another explanation ... difference between a preferred and regular walk-on. If I'm the parent with an average income it is a no-brainer as to which direction I would want my kid to go. Someone's going to pay for your college or your going to have to take out loans. Dreams of playing the big time are one thing but then reality needs to settle in.

Prefered walk-ons generally have had contact with the coaching staff who encourage them to walk on. A regular walk-on genrally has no contact with the staff and just shows up trying to make the team. Anbd most genral walk-ons don't make it. One of the most famous genral walk-ons anywhere was at Nebraska in the midto late 70's. Their great I-back I.M. Hipp was a walk on from the state of South Carolina who chose to attend Nebraska because they gave their walk-ons a fair chance. In fairness he had talent that wasn't seen because he was husrt as a senior but there was a case of a kid getting a chance to show what he could do and did he ever..

Top Bottom