Dodgers great Fernando Valenzuela dies at age 63

and here's some irony for you:

the last time the Dodgers and Yankees met in a World Series = 1981 - Fernando's rookie season.

of course, the Dodgers and Yankees will meet in this year's World Series - the first time in 43 years.

down the rabbit hole:

the 1981 World Series
gm #1: Yankees 5, Dodgers 3
gm #2: Yankees 3, Dodgers 0
gm #3: Dodgers 5, Yankees 4 (Fernando complete game winner)
gm #4: Dodgers 8, Yankees 7
gm #5: Dodgers 2, Yankees 1
gm #6: Dodgers 9, Yankees 2

top hitters for Dodgers:
Steve Garvey .417; Ron Cey .350. Pedro Guerrero 2 HR & 7 RBI.

for Yankees: Lou Piniella .438; Aurelio Rodriguez .417. Bob Watson 2 HR & 7 RBI.

Burt Hooten was top Pitcher for Dodgers going 1-1 with a 1.59 ERA. Steve Howe had 1 win and 1 save. and I completely forgot that former Twin Dave Goltz appeared in 2 games for LA as a reliever. Fernando only pitched the 1 game.

for the Yankees, Tommy John was 1-0 with an 0.69 ERA and Ron Guidry was 1-1 with a 1.93 ERA. and Twins Fans..................Ron Davis appeared in 4 games, posting a 23.14 ERA in 2-1/3 IP, allowing 6 ER on 4 H and 5 BB.

Who can forget his unique delivery with him looking towards the sky before he released the ball. Must see tv when he pitched. Just seemed like a really good guy too. Too young

and here's some irony for you:

the last time the Dodgers and Yankees met in a World Series = 1981 - Fernando's rookie season.

of course, the Dodgers and Yankees will meet in this year's World Series - the first time in 43 years.

down the rabbit hole:

the 1981 World Series
gm #1: Yankees 5, Dodgers 3
gm #2: Yankees 3, Dodgers 0
gm #3: Dodgers 5, Yankees 4 (Fernando complete game winner)
gm #4: Dodgers 8, Yankees 7
gm #5: Dodgers 2, Yankees 1
gm #6: Dodgers 9, Yankees 2

top hitters for Dodgers:
Steve Garvey .417; Ron Cey .350. Pedro Guerrero 2 HR & 7 RBI.

for Yankees: Lou Piniella .438; Aurelio Rodriguez .417. Bob Watson 2 HR & 7 RBI.

Burt Hooten was top Pitcher for Dodgers going 1-1 with a 1.59 ERA. Steve Howe had 1 win and 1 save. and I completely forgot that former Twin Dave Goltz appeared in 2 games for LA as a reliever. Fernando only pitched the 1 game.

for the Yankees, Tommy John was 1-0 with an 0.69 ERA and Ron Guidry was 1-1 with a 1.93 ERA. and Twins Fans..................Ron Davis appeared in 4 games, posting a 23.14 ERA in 2-1/3 IP, allowing 6 ER on 4 H and 5 BB.
Dave from High School days still owes me money from that series. $10 bet. He paid me about $3 in quarters so far.

Solid hitter as well for a Pitcher. For Grid Savants he hit .304 in 1990 (78 Plate Appearances).

I was at Wrigley Field for the game in 1982 when he was forced into playing LF & RF in a 2-1 win over the Cubs (21 innings).

Oh man sorry to hear that. Fernando mania was absolutely amazing. I watched the 30 for 30 on him a few years back. He really did seem like a good dude and he came from absolutely nowhere.

Top Bottom