Do you wear a mask?

When you go out to places like the grocery store, do you wear a mask?

• Yes, I think it helps slow the spread

Votes: 62 41.6%
  • Yes, I'm not sure how much it helps but it's no big deal to wear one

Votes: 38 25.5%
  • Yes, but only because I'm required to

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • No, I don't think it helps

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • No, It's my decision/I'm healthy so not at risk

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • No, They're uncomfortable/can't use them due to a health condition

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • No, it makes us look weak/I'm not going to live in fear

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Other, post below

Votes: 8 5.4%

• Total voters

Section2

Reaction score
You can't say masks aren't working if lots of people congregate without them. People that when surveyed say they wear a mask because they wear it when they go shopping. They don't wear masks everytime they are close proximity to people not in their households.
I can’t be more clear. Either masks are ineffective or the mandates are. There are dozens of reasons why each could be true. Bottom line is that spikes have happened all over the place right after the mandates.

cncmin

Reaction score
I can’t be more clear. Either masks are ineffective or the mandates are. There are dozens of reasons why each could be true. Bottom line is that spikes have happened all over the place right after the mandates.
Mandates are only effective if people follow them. Are you asking for stronger mandates? What do you want, enforcement by martial law?

Seatbelt and drunken driving laws - they obviously shouldn't be necessary, yet they were. Why?

Section2

Reaction score
"Individual rights" includes the ability to steal from others, injure others, maim others, and kill others, depending on your definition.
You couldn’t more loudly shout your ignorance than with this statement. Wow.

cncmin

Reaction score
You couldn’t more loudly shout your ignorance than with this statement. Wow.
Really? I thought it was "Make Up Your Own Definition of the Law Day", you know, like every day in your world.

Section2

Reaction score
Mandates are only effective if people follow them. Are you asking for stronger mandates? What do you want, enforcement by martial law?

Seatbelt and drunken driving laws - they obviously shouldn't be necessary, yet they were. Why?
I’m not advocating for mandates at all. The answer is right in front of your face. Mandates don’t work. They depend on force. But they only work with voluntary cooperation. Regardless, you can’t go into any store in the TC without wearing one. So despite Wallys construction site and hockey games, most people are social distancing and wearing masks when in public. Yet we have a large outbreak. Smart people rethink their assumptions when the facts don’t line up. You bravely put your head down and blame the people.

Section2

Reaction score
Really? I thought it was "Make Up Your Own Definition of the Law Day", you know, like every day in your world.
Individual rights are not dependent on laws. Maybe learn a bit about the foundation of the country you live in.

cncmin

Reaction score
I’m not advocating for mandates at all. The answer is right in front of your face. Mandates don’t work. They depend on force. But they only work with voluntary cooperation. Regardless, you can’t go into any store in the TC without wearing one. So despite Wallys construction site and hockey games, most people are social distancing and wearing masks when in public. Yet we have a large outbreak. Smart people rethink their assumptions when the facts don’t line up. You bravely put your head down and blame the people.
Person A can go out tomorrow and murder someone. The law doesn't prevent that. But the laws are in place to provide deterrents and punishment. No laws prevent the breaking of them. Your arguments continue to be inane. If people aren't abiding by loose "mandates", proper rectification is to strengthen enforcement and increase the punishments. That's coming next. If you want more "freedom", just wear a frigging mask and socially distance, so this doesn't have to happen.

Wally

Reaction score

You don't get that they mandated masks because they saw numbers going up, the spike was baked in.

Of anything done about Covid, the mask mandate is the least intrusive thing, it affects your life in no real way, stops you from doing absolutely nothing. If I was wearing those suffocating cloth masks I would probably mind it more, but N95s don't bother me. I have been wearing them for years at work, you just deal.

You really think people are wearing masks everytime they interact with people not from their households???
I have some oceanfront property in St Paul to sell you...

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
States that have mask mandates do have more people wearing them. People wear them in stores because they're required to. There's been very little evidence of large spreading in grocery stores, malls, department stores, etc. Is that because everyone is wearing masks in those settings or is it because you're not in long close contact with others? Probably both.

The places where the most spreading has occurred in bars, restaurants, weddings, parties, and get-togethers with family or friends. Those things will see very little mask wearing and social distancing.

BarnBurner

Banned
Reaction score
States that have mask mandates do have more people wearing them. People wear them in stores because they're required to. There's been very little evidence of large spreading in grocery stores, malls, department stores, etc. Is that because everyone is wearing masks in those settings or is it because you're not in long close contact with others? Probably both.

The places where the most spreading has occurred in bars, restaurants, weddings, parties, and get-togethers with family or friends. Those things will see very little mask wearing and social distancing.
50% of the workforce at our local grocer were just diagnosed positive. And they all wear masks all the time.

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Person A can go out tomorrow and murder someone. The law doesn't prevent that. But the laws are in place to provide deterrents and punishment. No laws prevent the breaking of them. Your arguments continue to be inane. If people aren't abiding by loose "mandates", proper rectification is to strengthen enforcement and increase the punishments. That's coming next. If you want more "freedom", just wear a frigging mask and socially distance, so this doesn't have to happen.

If I’m not mistaken, you’re arguing for shutting schools in the other thread despite little documented evidence of school spread or spread from children to family members, and mandated mask wear/distancing.

You are subverting your own arguments, ignoring evidence, making it up as you go along based on your personal world of misinformation.

Section2

Reaction score
What evidence, other than an increase of cases, do you have that everyone is breaking the rules/laws?

Section2

Reaction score

Count me as extremely skeptical that bars restaurants and weddings are the reason for our current spread.
It’s much more likely that public health experts have no idea, and not surprisingly are blaming the things they don’t have control of.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Count me as extremely skeptical that bars restaurants and weddings are the reason for our current spread.
It’s much more likely that public health experts have no idea, and not surprisingly are blaming the things they don’t have control of.
If places and events where people are in close contact for long periods of time and many times are talking loudly isn't causing large spreading, then what is? Everything we know about the virus says those things would increase the chances of spread over walking by someone in a store for example.

USAF

Reaction score
If one wants to discard the data that most are wearing masks because “they know better”, so be it. Even in that case certainly all would agree more wear them now than before the mandate. In other words, more have worn them during the spike than before the spike. Non compliance to the mask mandate is not the reason for the spike. To keep promoting it as such is sticking your head in the sand.
Not only are you a fraud, you're fundamentally ignorant as well.

Quite the combo.

Angry

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, you’re arguing for shutting schools in the other thread despite little documented evidence of school spread or spread from children to family members, and mandated mask wear/distancing.

You are subverting your own arguments, ignoring evidence, making it up as you go along based on your personal world of misinformation.
Cinnamon is just a contrarian. I don’t think he ever really believes in anything he argues.

stocker08

Reaction score

This is dotard level thinking.

What's next....speed limits are ineffective because some people speed? lol. You are the biggest fool on the board.

John Galt

Reaction score
This is dotard level thinking.

What's next....speed limits are ineffective because some people speed? lol. You are the biggest fool on the board.
Speed limits would be ineffective if more people started to die after they were put in place. The masks aren’t stopping the spread of Covid or deaths. So all you have is feaux claims that mask mandates aren’t being followed.

Spoofin

Reaction score

Walz told us all the same things on where it was and wasn’t spreading. The MDH even made a pie graph to support it. That pie graph was based on less than 2.5% of the cases in Minnesota.

Section2

Reaction score
If places and events where people are in close contact for long periods of time and many times are talking loudly isn't causing large spreading, then what is? Everything we know about the virus says those things would increase the chances of spread over walking by someone in a store for example.
Weddings have been cancelled, postponed, and moved outside, and reduced in size. I simply don’t believe they are a factor. Bars and restaurants are empty. It’s really hard to believe they are the major reason for spread.

stocker08

Reaction score
Speed limits would be ineffective if more people started to die after they were put in place. The masks aren’t stopping the spread of Covid or deaths. So all you have is feaux claims that mask mandates aren’t being followed.

Speed limits are not stopping car wrecks.

And those aren't faux claims. Just look at the Trump rallies. Tons of dotards breathing in each others faces. You think those kinds of people are practicing any safety measures? Definitely not.

You're just a dotard making excuses.

stocker08

Reaction score
Weddings have been cancelled, postponed, and moved outside, and reduced in size. I simply don’t believe they are a factor. Bars and restaurants are empty. It’s really hard to believe they are the major reason for spread.

You "don't believe". Yeah...we know. You're an excuse making dotard.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Lots of examples lately of weddings being super spreaders. And if bars and restaurants are empty, why are so many people complaining about restrictions? You seem to think we’re still in April.

I’ll ask again, if none of these things are big spreaders, what do you think is?

Section2

Reaction score
Lots of examples lately of weddings being super spreaders. And if bars and restaurants are empty, why are so many people complaining about restrictions? You seem to think we’re still in April.

I’ll ask again, if none of these things are big spreaders, what do you think is?
Bars and restaurants were hanging on by a thread, closing them is a death knell. While it’s been nice, people have eaten outside.

I don’t know honestly. I just know that shutdowns and mask mandates have not produced results. The virus seems to do what viruses do. While we have an outbreak, vulnerable individuals should increase hand washing, wear a clean n 95 in public, but should try to isolate as much as possible. The rest of us should live our lives.

John Galt

Reaction score

How are weddings super spreaders? Almost no one gets married in November of a typical year, and I’m sure the number of weddings this year are far below a normal November. And cases are spiking right now.

John Galt

Reaction score
The flu picks up every year beginning in November, just like Covid is now. Being indoors and the dry environment are likely the root causes. Masks aren’t going to eliminate Covid any more than they would eliminate the flu.

cncmin

Reaction score

I'm "arguing for shutting schools"? Where? No. I have argued that I think it is OK if schools decide to shut down temporarily to get their sh1t in order. I'm not sure what kind of a-hole would try to argue against something like that. If you want to be as idiotic as the Trumpsters around here, be my guest.

cncmin

Reaction score
What evidence, other than an increase of cases, do you have that everyone is breaking the rules/laws?
huh? What TF world do you live in, anyway? This is earth. Earth says hello!

cncmin

Reaction score
I was in one. Almost ZERO mask wearing. The wedding and ceremony took place both outdoors and in indoor space with doors and windows open. I was one of the few who wore a mask and socially distanced as much as reasonably possible, which is difficult when you're in the wedding party, during photos, during the ceremony, during the dinner, at which the groom and bride requested we do not. Very few others that attended wore a mask at any time. Weddings like this are going on all over the place, especially in rural America. They are common spreader events. Wake up, man.

Top Bottom