Do you think you'll visit space in your lifetime?

Nax5

Reaction score
Just finished watching the Netflix documentary on Inspiration 4. For those unfamiliar:

First "civilian" mission to space. I say "civilian", because everyone still had a science background and had to train for the mission. SpaceX charges NASA astronauts $55 million per seat in Dragon right now. So with that in mind, I doubt any of us can afford a seat at the moment. But this feels like just the beginning. Do you think any of us will still be around when space travel becomes more accessible?

Space tourism to the Moon!

I'm 41 right now so I'll say probably not. I still think in my lifetime it will be too expensive for most people. Or at the very least I'll be too old by the time a majority of people will be able to do it. I think it'll be very possible for my kids though.

I'm 41 right now so I'll say probably not. I still think in my lifetime it will be too expensive for most people. Or at the very least I'll be too old by the time a majority of people will be able to do it. I think it'll be very possible for my kids though.
Remains to be seen how their 100-person shuttle Starship does. More seats probably means less money per seat. They want a Mars colony by 2050. But based on Elon's previous target dates, that probably means 2060.

I'm still waiting for Galt to invite me to Hawaii. Space can wait.

No. Space travel is horrible for the environment, and the younger generations are extremely green. They won't allow space travel to proliferate unless it can become emission free.

No. Space travel is horrible for the environment, and the younger generations are extremely green. They won't allow space travel to proliferate unless it can become emission free.
I don't think we're going to have a choice. Eventually we're gunna kill the planet. Probably should start diversifying our options sooner rather than later.

I don't think we're going to have a choice. Eventually we're gunna kill the planet. Probably should start diversifying our options sooner rather than later.
Not possible with current technology. The only hope is to work with what you've got and don't contribute more.

Not possible with current technology. The only hope is to work with what you've got and don't contribute more.
We need to invest more. The US military budget is 600+ million 😬. NASA is like 20 million. So private sector is doing it's thing.

If only we didn't want to all kill each other.

Going the wrong way. Explore the sea first.

Meh, not a big deal. Last year I flew around the sun.

No. And I really couldn't really care less.

Several years ago I got a tour of the SpaceX headquarters when it was located in Hawthorne, CA. The company was in its early stages and it was before visitors were required to go through a security clearance. The things I remember were the sheer size of the facility, seeing the capsule that was used for the early flights, the most amazing employee Fro-Yo bar on the planet and walking by Elon Musk's extremely oversized cube. (He wasn't there.)

That's as close to space as I'll ever get.

No. And I really couldn't really care less.
Innovation has become boring. Just fancier phones for the most part. Space exploration is the only interesting thing to pop up in quite some time, in my opinion.

Depends on the price point, I suppose.

If it were $1000 to take a trip like Shattner just took, then very possibly I may elect to do it.

Would maybe look at it like sky-diving.

I'm still waiting for Galt to invite me to Hawaii. Space can wait.
@John Galt
While I'm waiting for mine to his villas in Mexico and the Caribbean where he spends several months wintering, or are those just his screen savers?

Also it appears LBGA, Bamboo Boi & Tiny Ticket make regular trips there already. Do those count?
@Costa Rican Gopher
@kg21
@bga1

just thinking - when I was a kid, back in the 60's, a lot of people thought that by 2021, we would have flying cars, individual rocket packs, have colonies on the Moon, etc.

Granted, I was a science fiction fan as a kid - read a lot of Heinlein, so I may have been more optimistic about "the future," but we are still a long way away from "The Jetsons" or "Star Trek" type of future.

After all, according to Star Trek canon, Zefram Cochrane makes first contact with the Vulcans in 2063, so we'd better get going on that warp-capable engine. Unless the Borg gets here first......

This isn't a political slam but I still wonder what in the world Obama was thinking when he axed the Space Shuttle.

This isn't a political slam but I still wonder what in the world Obama was thinking when he axed the Space Shuttle.
Probably that it was an ill-conceived and executed idea, from the start, that led to multiple catastrophes and was past-due to be retired.

just thinking - when I was a kid, back in the 60's, a lot of people thought that by 2021, we would have flying cars, individual rocket packs, have colonies on the Moon, etc.

Granted, I was a science fiction fan as a kid - read a lot of Heinlein, so I may have been more optimistic about "the future," but we are still a long way away from "The Jetsons" or "Star Trek" type of future.

After all, according to Star Trek canon, Zefram Cochrane makes first contact with the Vulcans in 2063, so we'd better get going on that warp-capable engine. Unless the Borg gets here first......
It's kind of depressing. Personal computers and smart phones were novel and innovative. But we have been riffing on the same technology for decades now.

Im there right now. Almost entirely empty space at the atomic level. The distances between electrons, which are almost infitestimally small and atomic nuclei are vast and there's nothing there but space, maybe some energy. But theres plenty of energy in outer space too.

The space that occupies us, almost entirely, I mean 99.99999999999999 etc percent is the same as the space in outer space.

Top Bottom