Do we end the year ranked? + Other thoughts

Taji34

Reaction score
What are peoples opinions on us ending the year ranked? I don't think so, but I think we'll get some votes.

I also think this was Claeys's first signature win. We finally won a game we weren't supposed to win, and without some of our key players in the secondary. I also feel a lot better heading into next year. It showed that even without some of those players, we still got the job done. Sure, it may be hurting the QB situation a bit if Green and Williams are suspended next year, but the rest of the positions I'm not all too worried about. Sure we may lose some natural talent, and it would be fun seeing some of those players grow next year, but I honestly don't think we need them.

We will get better with a good year in the weight room. However I still question Klein and his S and C program. Everyone else seems to get bigger, stronger, faster except our Gophers. Might explain why Mankato has more linemen in the NFL then the Gophers.

What are peoples opinions on us ending the year ranked? I don't think so, but I think we'll get some votes.

I also think this was Claeys's first signature win. We finally won a game we weren't supposed to win, and without some of our key players in the secondary. I also feel a lot better heading into next year. It showed that even without some of those players, we still got the job done. Sure, it may be hurting the QB situation a bit if Green and Williams are suspended next year, but the rest of the positions I'm not all too worried about. Sure we may lose some natural talent, and it would be fun seeing some of those players grow next year, but I honestly don't think we need them.

Maybe. Had not thought about it. How many P5 teams with 9 wins have ended year unranked?

I think it will be interesting. A lot of coaches will vote Minnesota as a FU to administrations. Media less so as they are typically outraged, OUTRAGED at situations like this.

We won as underdogs vs. both Maryland and Northwestern.

We will get better with a good year in the weight room. However I still question Klein and his S and C program. Everyone else seems to get bigger, stronger, faster except our Gophers. Might explain why Mankato has more linemen in the NFL then the Gophers.

That maybe, but the Gopher looked a lot bigger and stronger than Washington State!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hard to say. We handled NW who took down #23 Pitt yesterday. Depending on the results of the remaining bowl games.....We could be ranked.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I doubt it, but you could make the case that Minnesota is a top 25 team. I think it'll be close, especially with Pittsburgh losing today.

As far as the AP Poll, we have to jump the 13 teams that were "receiving votes", we did not receive any votes. Plus jump at least 1 team in the current top 25. Many of them play each other, so no doubt that some number of them will drop out.

Of the 13 that we need to jump, 5 have lost including #29 Washington State, 5 have won and 3 are yet to play.

None of the 3 AP ranked teams that have played have won: 23 Temple, 22 Pitt and 14 West VA. (ESPN posts their own rankings next to the teams on their site).

I won't so that there is no chance, but all signs point to receiving votes, but still outside looking in.

Totally agree. For supposedly being the best S&C guy in the country when Kill brought Klein with him from NIU, I have been seriously disappointed with his results.

We're rated #26 by Sagarin, so theoretically on the bubble, but we've been generally underrated this year because of our narrow defeats, so I say very unlikely.

The CFP rankings (the most meaningful in the grand scheme of things) don't release an "others receiving votes", so it makes it easier for them to place teams in the bottom part of the rankings given that there's no perception that certain teams were "ranked" 30th or 35th or whatever. Louisville at #15 seems a good place to start given that almost all teams below them are 8- or 9-win teams. Here's how they look going into the bowl games:

15 Louisville 9-3 NP
16 Stanford 9-3 NP
17 Auburn 8-4 NP
18 Florida 8-4 NP
19 Virginia Tech 9-4 NP
20 LSU 7-4 NP
21 Nebraska 9-3 NP
22 USF 10-2 NP
23 Utah 8-4 W
24 Temple 10-3 L
25 Iowa 8-4 NP

If several of Auburn, Florida, LSU, USF, and Iowa lose, we could jump into the 23-25 range. Temple losing helps.

Depends on if PSU wins which would overall pimp the strength of the B10 even more, which could lead to us getting another slight bump. I would go with finishing 26-30th and getting no ranking.

Good info

Always a good place to find info.

The CFP rankings (the most meaningful in the grand scheme of things) don't release an "others receiving votes", so it makes it easier for them to place teams in the bottom part of the rankings given that there's no perception that certain teams were "ranked" 30th or 35th or whatever. Louisville at #15 seems a good place to start given that almost all teams below them are 8- or 9-win teams. Here's how they look going into the bowl games:

15 Louisville 9-3 NP
16 Stanford 9-3 NP
17 Auburn 8-4 NP
18 Florida 8-4 NP
19 Virginia Tech 9-4 NP
20 LSU 7-4 NP
21 Nebraska 9-3 NP
22 USF 10-2 NP
23 Utah 8-4 W
24 Temple 10-3 L
25 Iowa 8-4 NP

If several of Auburn, Florida, LSU, USF, and Iowa lose, we could jump into the 23-25 range. Temple losing helps.

looking at the season ending Washington and Colorado vs WSU scores and Gophers vs WSU score and using transitive property, we'll end up ranked about 9th

probably end up around 30th on the coaches poll

If the gophers are ranked in the AP poll I won't post for three months. If they are you can't post for one month.

Anyone want in on that bet?

If the gophers are ranked in the AP poll I won't post for three months. If they are you can't post for one month.

Anyone want in on that bet?

Actually I don't want anyone to not post. But we won't be ranked. Too many teams who are unranked who would go in first. Would need about 4-6 more to lose but the problem is when they lose the team they lost to likely jumps MN.

Top Bottom