Do Scholly Players get pocket money??

C

CaliforniaGopher

Does anyone know what Gopher BB Scholly Players get--Does it include housing, clothing, books, entertainment, pocket money??

I got a free ride (academic) and got tuition, room, board, books etc. and I think a bit more, so I hope they do. I think some of these innercity kids may have very little money and its hard to be overly critical of them when they succumb to temptation to have what most other students have.

I don't know what the NCAA rules are, so is it permissable for a fan to donate cash or goods to players or hire them for paid work?? Anyone know for sure?? I'd suspect that the answer is "no" but that seems unfair given that these players bring in lots of revenue to the university and some of them are essentially forced students because of the idiotic Stern age rule.

I lived in the "athlete" dorm (Sanford) and every player on scholarship is offered University housing and a meal plan, along with a stipend. If an athlete chooses not to live in the dorms he or she got a check for housing, food, etc. The wrestler next door who i got very close with got nearly $1000 per month, the two gymnasts down the hall got $800 each. I'm sure the bball players are treated similarly. I'm also sure that many athletes have extra money left over each month and that's why a high percentage of them can be seen cruising campus on mopeds. This doesn't even take into account the free shoes and apparel doled out...

Does anyone know what Gopher BB Scholly Players get--Does it include housing, clothing, books, entertainment, pocket money??

I got a free ride (academic) and got tuition, room, board, books etc. and I think a bit more, so I hope they do. I think some of these innercity kids may have very little money and its hard to be overly critical of them when they succumb to temptation to have what most other students have.

I don't know what the NCAA rules are, so is it permissable for a fan to donate cash or goods to players or hire them for paid work?? Anyone know for sure?? I'd suspect that the answer is "no" but that seems unfair given that these players bring in lots of revenue to the university and some of them are essentially forced students because of the idiotic Stern age rule.

Assuming you are a "booster", as broadly defined by the NCAA, you are subject to employment rules. The UM Athletic Dept. should be consulted first.

if you go to a college board website, the full scholarship athletes get whatever is the cost of schooling according to what a FAFSA would say...I know of a few athletes that live in houses that get $1000 a month for food and housing...so you take the $500 a month for housing and $150 for food...then they still have a hefty $350 to blow...and athletes get catered meals on game day and lot after practice and stuff so yeah, money aint no thang...

Yes to the first ? - players get "laundry" money (a small amount) but no "pocket" money. They can qualify for Pell Grant $ too.

But NO to your second ? - that would be an NCAA violation.

>>players get "laundry" money (a small amount)<<

Yes, that provision is still in place. In my limited experience, it's used for many things besides laundry.

>>They can qualify for Pell Grant $ too<<

Depending on the school, that isn't always over and above their scholarship. Most schools require all scholarship athletes to apply for Pell. Then many schools use the Pell funds first and then apply their scholarship to the remaining bill. From a player's perspective, that approach seems very unfair. From a taxpayer's perspective, it's probably the right thing to do.

Wow, never knew that they had spending money. I assumed that the time they spent in sports was equivalent to the time I spent working. Mine all went to books and tuition so I assumed it was an even trade. Life of Riley if they get spending money too.

The list of freebies is almost endless because a 7-foot center is more important to society than a budding scientist or a promising writer.

Yes to the first ? - players get "laundry" money (a small amount) but no "pocket" money. They can qualify for Pell Grant $ too.

But NO to your second ? - that would be an NCAA violation.

It is not a violation for a booster to legitimately hire student-athletes. There are conditions and detailed rules.

Not an automatic violation, but often problematic.

Have you heard the one about the jock being paid for his "job" from federal work study and also by a booster...and never doing a minute's work for either?

G4L

Depends on the school. Obviously, Ivy league athletes have to get a scholarship for something other than sports. Also, at NYU, I knew several science students, mostly grad level but some undergrad; a vast majority of them had scholarships and stipends. And the grad students only had to share an office with one other person (in Manhattan!), which was better treatment than my tentured profs in the same university.

The list of freebies is almost endless because a 7-foot center is more important to society than a budding scientist or a promising writer.
Clarification: They're more important to the University's bottom line.

It's a business.

vapor,

>>Ivy league athletes<<

Isn't that an oxymoron? ;) Let's just say the Ivy league doesn't attract many 7-foot centers with NBA potential.

ShowinGoldyLove,

>>Clarification: They're more important to the University's bottom line.<<

No, sir. Whether we like to admit it or not, that's society's priority as well...and that's the root of a problem that will never be fixed. We've elevated our athletes onto pedestals and we pay them accordingly; teachers, firefighters, police, nurses, preachers, etc., toil in anonimity. The horses left that barn a long time ago.

The other place where they do get money is that they get some meal money for road trips. They, obviously, don't always use all of that for meals.

I believe they receive meal money any time they miss their regular training table, not only while on raod trips.

Tuition and fees may increase for regular students, but athletes will always be taken care of. Even when they've stopped going to classes. Bank on it.

They don't have time to have a part-time job, so I'm okay with them getting some extra money. god knows the University makes enough off their backs...

I'm also sure that many athletes have extra money left over each month and that's why a high percentage of them can be seen cruising campus on mopeds.

There is nothing funnier than a 300 pound offensive or defensive linemen riding around on a moped.

It has been about 10 years since my playing days so the rules may have changed, but athletes cannot (by NCAA rules) have a job period during the school year.

Per diem on road trips was $32/day back then so I'm guessing it's closer to $50/day now. They don't always receive cash - sometimes if the team eats together at a restaurant or hotel or whatever, the coaches just pick up the tab. Players and coaches have to sign logs indicating how much they received. These are the same types of logs that Rich Rodriguez can't seem to find with practice hours. :cool02:

As for stipends, athletes don't receive those per say. If they live off campus and they receive room and/or board as part of their scholarship (not all athletes do), they get the cash equivalent divided into monthly installments. They can do whatever they want with the money - as mentioned in previous posts. I recall having very little leftover each month after paying rent and some groceries. Revenue sports (i.e. football and basketball) also have absurd training table meals prepared for them every night so that definitely lessens the grocery bills each month giving them more cash for their mopeds.

It has been about 10 years since my playing days so the rules may have changed, but athletes cannot (by NCAA rules) have a job period during the school year.

The rules have either changed or it depends on the sport. I worked with multiple athletes while I was a student, a mere 2 years ago. I know for sure I worked with someone on the rowing team as well as track and field athletes. This was a job through the university but I also had a friend who held a job at a local running gear shop. I'm guessing it's o.k. for them to hold down a job.

Read what was posted. "Donating cash or goods" to players is DEFINITELY an NCAA violation.

Read what was posted. "donate cash or goods to players or hire them for paid work"
is a two part question, and Myles' accurate answer clearly was addressing the second part.

Read what was posted. "donate cash or goods to players or hire them for paid work"
is a two part question, and Myles' accurate answer clearly was addressing the second part.

Actually NEITHER is permitted during the school year. Summer employment IS permitted but athletes must get the same treatment (and pay) as any other summer employee.

Top Bottom