DJ for Big Ten D-POY? Why not?

Gopher Bandanna Guy

Irascible Skeptic
Reaction score
I know it doesn't seem to be in the cards for DJ Swat to get this award, but let's talk about why.

Chris Kramer and David Lighty would seem to be the frontrunners for this award, and are excellent defenders, but in my opinion they doesn't contribute to the defense the same way DJ does. DJ may not be as much shut down/on-ball defender, but much of his defense is played coming from the help side. Damien steals, deflects, and blocks. And as such creates offensive opportunities for his teammates. He's inch-for-inch the best shot blocker in the Big Ten, ranked 3rd in the Big Ten, and with nothing but centers around him statistically. He leads the conference in steals. He constantly deflects balls in the passing lane. And he's a nightmare matchup in a zone.

Admittedly, I haven't looked closely at his man-to-man +/- numbers, but what's holding Damian back from this award? Is it the Gophs middling success more than anything? Am I just being a homer who wants a his guy to get a little personal recognition?

Surprisingly, DJ's rebounding stats are pretty low, given his ability. I think it'll come down to Lighty and DJ, and can say that both of them deserve it.

Surprisingly, DJ's rebounding stats are pretty low, given his ability. I think it'll come down to Lighty and DJ, and can say that both of them deserve it.

I think one of the reasons DJ rebound totals aren't where they seem like they should be is because he attempts to block more shots than most players, putting him out of position for the board. Dallas Lauderdale from OSU (B-10 leading shot stuffer) also suffers from this as well (averages only 5.2 rpg).

I think one of the reasons DJ rebound totals aren't where they seem like they should be is because he attempts to block more shots than most players, putting him out of position for the board. Dallas Lauderdale from OSU (B-10 leading shot stuffer) also suffers from this as well (averages only 5.2 rpg).
Then why doesn't Sampson have the same issue? RSIII averages the same amount of blocks per game, but gets more rebounds per game?

Then why doesn't Sampson have the same issue? RSIII averages the same amount of blocks per game, but gets more rebounds per game?

Good point - I think Ralph gets more blocks without leaving his feet than DJ, and is also playing nearer the basket more of the time. That doesn't explain Lauderdale then though...:confused:

I don't think you can even compare Lighty to Kramer. Why? OSU plays alot of that 2-3 match up zone. That takes alot of pressure off any single defender. Now the thing that hurts Kramer is that Painter has taken him off the other teams best guard. Before Hummel injury Kramer has been defending the other team best OFF-ball scorer, where he really excels. Also the rest of Purdue's backcourt is also really good defender's Grant and Jackson are great on the ball, Barlow has potenial to be a lockdown defender if he puts his mind to it. And even Moore as become a pretty good defender.

The fact that the Gophers aren't a good defensive team, whereas OSU (Lighty) and Purdue (Kramer) are?

Minnesota is by no means a bad defensive team, but they have had their lapses from time to time. They are middle of the pack in scoring D (6th), where OSU and Purdue are 2 and 3 respectively. However, the Gophers are 2nd in the conference (behind Illinois) in FG % defense.

My biggest point about DJ being D-POY is that his steals, deflections, and blocks lead to buckets on the other end for the Gophers via fast break and transtion. Kramer my be a better lock down defender, but that doesn't necessarily contribute on the other end as directly.

Wow. Apparently I'm way off base. DJ didn't even make the All-Big Ten defensive team, as noted in other posts. Ridiculous.

I guess this pretty much kills this thread where it stands.

Top Bottom