DirecTV to Acquire Dish in Merger of Satellite TV Rivals

here are the numbers that jump out to me:

Together, DirecTV and Dish would have around 18 million customers — a total that is down 63% from their peak levels in 2016, the companies said. On Monday, DirecTV said it has about 10 million pay-TV subscribers (inclusive of DirecTV Stream and U-verse TV), compared with a peak of 25.5 million at the end of 2016.

Dish, which once had more than 14 million customers, ended the second quarter of 2024 with 8.07 million pay-TV subscribers (including 6.07 million for Dish TV and 2.0 million for Sling TV). At the end of Q2, Charter had 13.3 million total video customers across America and Comcast clocked in at 13.2 million.

the two main satellite TV distributors have gone from almost 40 million subscribers to 18 million.

They've agreed to merge twice before. Regulators have turned it down. Hope they let it through this time.

here are the numbers that jump out to me:

Together, DirecTV and Dish would have around 18 million customers — a total that is down 63% from their peak levels in 2016, the companies said. On Monday, DirecTV said it has about 10 million pay-TV subscribers (inclusive of DirecTV Stream and U-verse TV), compared with a peak of 25.5 million at the end of 2016.

Dish, which once had more than 14 million customers, ended the second quarter of 2024 with 8.07 million pay-TV subscribers (including 6.07 million for Dish TV and 2.0 million for Sling TV). At the end of Q2, Charter had 13.3 million total video customers across America and Comcast clocked in at 13.2 million.

the two main satellite TV distributors have gone from almost 40 million subscribers to 18 million.
Paging Block Buster

Although, I do enjoy the one who has the Pigeon commercials - take that Loon.

They've agreed to merge twice before. Regulators have turned it down. Hope they let it through this time.

I guess I wasn't even sure that Dish was still in business.

I took a quick look at Direct Stream the other day, still working out how to watch Vegas Golden Knights games this season (the Knighttime+ App is absolute dogshit), but in the end I'm going to end up going back to Cox cable, partly because I already get my internet there. Not a big bump in price to add cable on top of the internet

I switched from Xfinity cable to DirectV streaming when Xfinity booted Bally Sports North in May and I hate it. I'm going to cancel, pay the penalty and head back to cable.

Top Bottom