Dienhart's BTN 2013 All Big Ten Team: Hageman, Campion, Cockran 2nd Team

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

2ND TEAM OFFENSE: QB: Nathan Scheelhaase, Illinois; RB: Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin; RB: Jeremy Langford, Michigan State; WR: Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin; WR: Cody Latimer, Indiana; TE: Ted Bolser, Indiana; T: Josh Campion, Minnesota; T: Brett Van Sloten, Iowa; G: Spencer Long, Nebraska; G: John Urschel, Penn State; C: Collin Rahrig, Indiana; K: Mike Meyer, Iowa

2ND TEAM DEFENSE: DL: Noah Spence, Ohio State; DL: Theiren Cockran, Minnesota; DL: Ra’Shede Hageman, Minnesota; DL: Tyler Hoover, Michigan State; LB: Denicos Allen, Michigan State; LB: Jonathan Brown, Illinois; LB: James Morris, Iowa; DB: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska; DB: B.J. Lowery, Iowa; DB: Traveon Henry, Northwestern; DB: Doran Grant, Ohio State; P: Mike Sadler, Michigan State

Hageman made Merriman's first team:

1ST TEAM DEFENSE: DE: Shilique Calhoun, Michigan State; DE: Randy Gregory, Nebraska; DT: Ra’Shede Hageman, Minnesota; LB: Ryan Shazier, Ohio State; LB: Max Bullough, Michigan State; LB: Chris Borland, Wisconsin; LB: Denicos Allen, Michigan State; DB: Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State; DB: Blake Countess, Michigan; DB: Bradley Roby, Ohio State; DB: Isaiah Lewis, Michigan State; P: Mike Sadler, Michigan State

http://btn.com/2013/12/02/btn-coms-2013-all-big-ten-football-teams/?cmp=user+shared+twitter

Go Gophers!!

I'd be tempted to take David Cobb over anybody except Abdullah.

After the way Cobb ran against MSU, I would agree. He doesn't have Gordon or White's speed, but he created a lot of those yards he gained against the Spartans. It will be fun to see what Hyde and OSU do against the MSU defense.

Having Allen on 1st team over Hageman is laughable.

I know stats alone are not the only indicator of a good DT, but I have to believe it was Allen's 19 tackles (9 solo), 2 for a loss, 1.5 sacks, 0 passes defended, 1 fumble recovery, and 1 blocked kick that really put him ahead.

Those numbers are way better than Hageman's 34 tackles (22 solo), 11 for a loss, 2 sacks, 9 passes defended, 1 interception, 1 fumble recovery, and 2 blocked kicks.

Yes, I think Cobb is as good or better than both of Wisconsin's backs.

There's not a truly elite back in the conference this year. Abdullah comes closest.

Here's the thing: Cobb has played how many full games? He's still getting better.

He has everything except speed (whoops).

I know stats alone are not the only indicator of a good DT, but I have to believe it was Allen's 19 tackles (9 solo), 2 for a loss, 1.5 sacks, 0 passes defended, 1 fumble recovery, and 1 blocked kick that really put him ahead.

Those numbers are way better than Hageman's 34 tackles (22 solo), 11 for a loss, 2 sacks, 9 passes defended, 1 interception, 1 fumble recovery, and 2 blocked kicks.

Found the differences between the panels interesting. Allen on Dienhart's first team and not on either first or second team for the other two. Plus, Dienhart went with a 4-3 and the other two guys went with the 3-4.

PS--Someone needs to tell Merriman that Ibraheim Campbell didn't transfer to Michigan State.

PPS--In my view, Gordon is the best RB in the B1G by a mile.

PPPS--GophersinIowa, I see what you did there. LOL. I don't know where Beau Allen was on the 3rd-and-9 draw play called by PSU at a crucial point in the game on Saturday. He may have been on the bench. That's the only way he could have been more out of position.

Hyde, Abdullah and Melvin Gordon are all some of the best and most talented backs in the nation, Gordon is a projected first or second round NFL pick, James White is also very good and Jeremy Langford was more productive then, Cobb, Indiana's tevin Coleman would have reached over 1,000 yards easy if he would have played the last 2 games as well, and then Venric Mark ran for 1,300 yards last year and will be back next year

Beau, is not a guy that is going to get big stats and TFL numbers, he isn't a pass rusher, he is more of a run stuffing imovable object, but still Rashede is light years ahead of Beau, and i would take Rashede ahead of Bennett of OSU as well since Shede can bat down passes and Bennett can't

34 tackles along the line of scrimmage that don't get to the linebackers is a huge number. By the way, I hate your moniker. The Gopher are in Minnesota. If you are in Iowa and a Gopher, your need to change it to a more singular meaning.

Hyde, Abdullah and Melvin Gordon are all some of the best and most talented backs in the nation, Gordon is a projected first or second round NFL pick, James White is also very good and Jeremy Langford was more productive then, Cobb, Indiana's tevin Coleman would have reached over 1,000 yards easy if he would have played the last 2 games as well, and then Venric Mark ran for 1,300 yards last year and will be back next year

It's a toss up after Abdullah.

I'd take Cobb, who got most of his yards by making good decisions, not running through enormous holes.

Plus, Cobb didn't pad his stats by racking up big yards in the first two games.

I will grant that Cobb is probably way too slow to have an NFL career; so claiming he'd get drafted after other backs doesn't tell me anything.

Cobb is still getting better!

34 tackles along the line of scrimmage that don't get to the linebackers is a huge number. By the way, I hate your moniker. The Gopher are in Minnesota. If you are in Iowa and a Gopher, your need to change it to a more singular meaning.

Yeah, I think I tried to change it the day after I made the account but couldn't. In my mind I was thinking Gophers Fan in Iowa but just shortened it.

actually looking more into it Melvin Gordon is not only a projected first/second round pick but considered the #1 RB prospect for the entire draft by the majority of mock drafts, but i think Hyde is actually the most talented back in the big ten, he is 235, that is as just as big as Roderick williams, are biggest back yet he is a lot faster and has a much better burst then Roderick, Donnell or Cobb, possibly on par with Berkley, and he didn't even play the first 3 games yet still rushed for over 1,300 yards, if he had played the whole season he would be in the Heisman discussion, so i have concluded that Abdullah, Hyde and Gordon are all lightyears ahead of Cobb

Although Cobb may not be in the top 3, I think he is a very good back, and definitely top 5. He has great vision, and if he can improve his speed, he might have a chance to make it onto someone's practice squad when he's done at the U. Imagine if we had a semblance of a passing game the first half of the season, and he had started the first few games, he'd be in the 1300-1400 range.

Hageman not being on the first team is a travesty. But what's most important to me, is the coaches poll. They see the film, they get the first hand look at a player. So good for Hageman and Vereen.

Top Bottom