Dienhart on Kill: He’s a special coach with a close-knit staff whose blueprint works

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Mailbag with Tom Dienhart:

I always wish Minnesota the best of luck—when they don’t play Nebraska! I think Coach Jerry Kill will get the program turned around. I was wondering: How is his health? – Bob Jones

I talked to Coach Kill about a month ago and he told me that his health is good. He experienced seizures on two occasions last season, one on the sideline during a game. But, again, all reports are that Kill—who in 2005 battled kidney cancer and won–is OK and ready to go.

Like you, I think Kill eventually will get the Gophers turned around. The guy has won at every stop: Saginaw Valley State; Emporia State; Southern Illinois; Northern Illinois. He’s a special coach with a close-knit staff whose blueprint works.

http://btn.com/2012/06/08/reader-mail-big-ten-fans-review-our-rankings/

Go Gophers!!

I don't think Teague will mess around. If we see limited progress in 4 years Teague will start looking around. If Kill indeed does not want to play the UNC series he get's an "F" will that philosophy. Like most of you I like what he has done so far, but it really boils down to wins and losses over the next 4 years. What did Leo Durocher say? " Nice guys finish last"

I don't think Teague will mess around. If we see limited progress in 4 years Teague will start looking around. If Kill indeed does not want to play the UNC series he get's an "F" will that philosophy. Like most of you I like what he has done so far, but it really boils down to wins and losses over the next 4 years. What did Leo Durocher say? " Nice guys finish last"

I think if your irrational posts don't improve in 4 days, you should start looking around for another place to haunt. If you don't want to think clearly about how real college football works, you get an "F" in your philosophy.

Kill is a "nice guy" in life. Kill is no "nice guy" when it comes to football. It's his way, or the highway. Someone who really understands the man, and college football, would know that.

You do not.

highwayman's Post

Highwayman is right on as to what he said about Kill. He is truly a "nice guy" but he also is very competitive. Unfortunately we all throw things out like "Nice guys finish last" but it is very myopic in its viewpoint. The reality is that life is much more complicated than that. You might want to click on the string below to read what I am talking about:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...na-teen-triumphs-over-trouble-with-graduation

Highwayman is right on as to what he said about Kill. He is truly a "nice guy" but he also is very competitive. Unfortunately we all throw things out like "Nice guys finish last" but it is very myopic in its viewpoint. The reality is that life is much more complicated than that. You might want to click on the string below to read what I am talking about:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...na-teen-triumphs-over-trouble-with-graduation

Agreed--In coach Kill's programs, it's his way or the highway. That's a general guideline I learned covering his teams for the local press in southern Illinois for 5 years. I also witnessed first hand how his way of winning comes from developing relationships with his players. He genuinely cares about his football players, as players and his people. He builds a trust with his players and in return they play HARD. This 'buy in' is how he has turned around any program he has been at. There are few coaches out there who want success for their student athletes on the field and in life, as he does.

The proof is in the players...Ask Andre Mcdonald or Jonah Pirsig why they committed to the "U." It's more than just football..That's how he wins.

Well said. There is nothing easy about playing for CKill.

Well said. There is nothing easy about playing for CKill.

If you think ruppert is "well said" then you misinterpreted ruppert. He'd like to see Kill fired. The rest of us get it.

It's times like now when having Ruppert on my ignore list just isn't enough. With all the quotes and thread-deterioration I have to deal with it anyway. :(

It's times like now when having Ruppert on my ignore list just isn't enough. With all the quotes and thread-deterioration I have to deal with it anyway. :(

I aplogize. I just added him myself, so you won't get anymore quotes through me...

Top Bottom