Devoe Joseph's Development - The Westbrook Factor

Honyocker

Gophers-In Good or Bad Times
Reaction score
There has been some talk here that Joseph is not as good a player as we thought he was. Listen, Devoe played against the best competition around the world as a junior player from Canada and he also played against great American players his age. The consensus was that he was an outstanding young player. Top young players can get caught in a mess that arrests their development.

Devoe is caught in a mess and he may not even fully realize it. Westbrook has a forceful personality and he is a senior leader. And he also happens to be a punk who thinks he is a whole lot better than he really is, and he is not willing to step up to his own weaknesses. He has publicly stated on 'CCO that he will let Tubby's criticism of his game go in one ear and out the other. Sounds really coachable, doesn't it. He also still talks about playing in the NBA! He might want to take his coaches' input seriously if that is his ambition. Delusional. Yes, Larry has made some heroic plays in his career and he thinks he is all that....when he actually has huge holes in his game that are well documented and his attitude is cancerous to the team. Devoe cannot help but be affected and influenced by Westbrook and the many other personnel issues with this team. How would you like to be a young talented player in the middle of all this? Not exactly an incubator of player development.

The Westbrook/Nolen fight in November really ended up setting the tone for this team. I'm not going to rip on Westbrook because he's been here for four years, went through a lot of turmoil with the Gopher's staff and stuck it out through some hard times. I think we'll be better off when he moves on after this year.

Devoe

The rumblings of Devoe being unhappy and/or displaying negative "body language" made me immediately wonder if it had anything to do with LW.

Next year should at least have an improvement in team chemistry, which this year has left the building aflame.

I hope Devoe has a breakout Junior year!

:clap::clap::clap:

He's playing out of position, he doesn't shoot the three particularily well, and is having a hard time gettting the shots he excel's at, the mid range jumper. Can't tell if it is the offense or the people he is playing with. He really got started against Michigan State shooting the 15 foot jumpers. Hasn't taken many sense that game.

The problem with Westbrook is that he is one of those guys that need 10-12 shots a game to be effective. When he is not having a particularly good game that really kills you, and he has not had many good games this year.

Excuses

There has been some talk here that Joseph is not as good a player as we thought he was. Listen, Devoe played against the best competition around the world as a junior player from Canada and he also played against great American players his age. The consensus was that he was an outstanding young player. Top young players can get caught in a mess that arrests their development.

Devoe is caught in a mess and he may not even fully realize it. Westbrook has a forceful personality and he is a senior leader. And he also happens to be a punk who thinks he is a whole lot better than he really is, and he is not willing to step up to his own weaknesses. He has publicly stated on 'CCO that he will let Tubby's criticism of his game go in one ear and out the other. Sounds really coachable, doesn't it. He also still talks about playing in the NBA! He might want to take his coaches' input seriously if that is his ambition. Delusional. Yes, Larry has made some heroic plays in his career and he thinks he is all that....when he actually has huge holes in his game that are well documented and his attitude is cancerous to the team. Devoe cannot help but be affected and influenced by Westbrook and the many other personnel issues with this team. How would you like to be a young talented player in the middle of all this? Not exactly an incubator of player development.

Sounds like a lot of excuses for why a player is deficient. Coaching and offensive flow dictate a lot of what you refer to.

Westy is only one piece - one piece that can be removed by the coach at any time.

Devoe's critical issue is his shooting which has been inconsistent and mostly off through the season. I do not think he can blame anyone but himself for it.

Devoe's shooting percent is 40.7% on Canada junior national team (U19 group), when he hoists up alot of shots. His shooting as a gopher is under 40% taking fewer shots per game. About what I'd expect. The problem with Devoe is he's a mediocre shooter at best, but he doesn't contribute in alot of other ways like an Al Nolen does.

Devoe = Too Sloe

He's just not quick enought to excel at a B10 level. He's solid but will never be a standout.

Depends on who is beside him

He's just not quick enought to excel at a B10 level. He's solid but will never be a standout.

He may excel with others and a offensive flow - there is no flow to Tubbys offense - 3 years and all the same.

Hopefully Cory comes, takes all of the minutes Westbrook left behind, and allows Devoe to slide over to his natural position so they can excell together in the backcourt.

I'm a little lost. How is Westbrook to blame for Devoe's lack of development?

Devoe's shooting percent is 40.7% on Canada junior national team (U19 group), when he hoists up alot of shots. His shooting as a gopher is under 40% taking fewer shots per game. About what I'd expect. The problem with Devoe is he's a mediocre shooter at best, but he doesn't contribute in alot of other ways like an Al Nolen does.

Exactly, I could care less that he went 13 of 25 vs Nigeria. He has proven to be a poor, streaky shooter in the Big Ten.

Exactly, I could care less that he went 13 of 25 vs Nigeria. He has proven to be a poor, streaky shooter in the Big Ten.

Yep - hit it in the head. Aside from a good game against MSU, he has been very average at best in B10 play. I don't see where people think he is someone to build a team around. Seems like a 3rd guard on a good team, and a benchwarmer on a top 10 type team.

I'm not saying he would be All-Big Ten or anything, but I think if he was playing off the ball he would be playing better and people would think higher of him. Next year will be a defining point in his college career as Westbrook will be gone, so he will probably get more shots and he will (hopefully) be playing shooting guard, so we should be able to get a better feel for what he is capable of.

GOTR

I'm not saying he would be All-Big Ten or anything, but I think if he was playing off the ball he would be playing better and people would think higher of him. Next year will be a defining point in his college career as Westbrook will be gone, so he will probably get more shots and he will (hopefully) be playing shooting guard, so we should be able to get a better feel for what he is capable of.

As far as I am concerned we can start that experiment tomorrow!

:)

Unreal. Now LW is being blamed for other players' lack of development? Can the all the failures of the season be placed on him as well...oops, I see that's also been tried in this thread.

I will never understand the hatred that Gopher fans have for this kid. While he can be petulant and moody at times and has shown a tendency to be very confident in his abilities (a common trait for all great athletes, BTW), this fan base crucifies him at every opportunity.

If everyone on the team prepared for the season as hard as LW and played with his attitude and fire I guarantee this team wouldn't be as bad as they are now.

Top Bottom