Devin Crawford-Tufts

positively4thstreet

Reaction score
Obviously we're working with a small sample size, but I really came away from Saturday impressed with this kid. I could very easily see him having a bright future here -- he's got good hands, speed, and he plays tough.

I think "DCT" is going to become a staple of Gopher football vernacular in the coming years.

I've been pleasantly surprised with Crawford-Tufts. I thought they were crazy to burn his red-shirt, but he can play. Good size and good speed and showed some tremendous adjustment skills to make the diving catch.

Agree...Solid player with speed and good hands. Future gamebreaker!

I was impressed when I saw him on the field after the game. He's almost as big as Da'jon.

I think for the next couple of years, red shirts should be looked at as a luxury, not as a given...until these youngsters get a few more years and Kill and comp can recruit some more talent, he is probably going to have to use a number of them.

I saw him too, and thought the exact same thing. A lot bigger than I thought he'd be.

Maybe this is me overanalyzing, but I'm willing to bet Iowa had no clue DCT was that fast. He burnt the DB on that first streak.

I'm thrilled he caught two big passes.

But does he object to running after the catch? I'm chalking the first big catch--followed by a nice jog--to his surprise at having caught it.

I'm thrilled he caught two big passes.

But does he object to running after the catch? I'm chalking the first big catch--followed by a nice jog--to his surprise at having caught it.

Well, his only other catch he laid out for it, so if you are already accounting for the 1st catch due to his surprise, you shouldn't be too worried about this YAC.

But in reality, the first one looked worse on TV than it did in person, IMO. In person, it was pretty clear that he had to really slow down to catch the first pass and while waiting on it the defensive back (S) was already running full speed.

DCT is faster than he looked on that first play.

But he is an exciting young ball player. Coach Kill seems most impressed with his ability to block, he's fast and pretty big. If he can become a natural pass catcher (he definitely looked the part on that second pass to him), he will have a very bright future.

But in reality, the first one looked worse on TV than it did in person, IMO. In person, it was pretty clear that he had to really slow down to catch the first pass and while waiting on it the defensive back (S) was already running full speed.

DCT is faster than he looked on that first play.
Exactly. It was a very nice throw by MG but if he hits him in stride that's a TD.

I thought I heard somewhere he did well at the state track meet. If Gray had led him instead of having to adjust back, he's in the endzone.

Edit: heh...agree GoAUpher

Crawford-Tufts won both the 100 meter and 200 meter dashes at the AA State Track Meet in 2010. I don't see him listed in the 2011 results, but the kid obviously has wheels.

IIRC, he was injured for the state meet in 2011. Something like a hamstring injury?

He had a nagging hamstring injury during the season, and then during the conference meet, re-pulled it. I know I've posted this before, but here's a glimpse of his speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge7xUf7ArwQ

That is the state final in the 4x100m from 2010. Some of the other anchors were sub 11 second 100m guys and were state finalists that year. If he could have avoided injury last year, he would have had a good chance at being known as the fastest sprinter in Minnesota history.

So yes, he is very, very fast.

No doubt the kid can run...but it takes time to turn track speed into football speed. Kill mentioned that the coaches have been working hard on teaching DCT to catch the ball away from his body with his hands...seems to have paid off.

I think what happened on that play is he struggled to get his balance after the catch, plus he was sizing up the Iowa defender to make a move but didn't have it so stepped out.

Best part of that play was Gray looking off the safety the entire time, then turning and then making a nice pass like that.

The most important thing is, he secures the catch, before attempting to run. Often with track guys, they try to run before securing the catch, and drop the ball. He has a great future the YACs will come with experience.

Top Bottom