Des Moines Register: Iowa football faces largest ticket-sales decline in last 10 yrs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Des Moines Register:

The University of Iowa is expecting to sell roughly 10 percent fewer season football tickets in 2015 than it did a year ago.

The athletic department was scheduled to send a press release Tuesday afternoon to outline lower ticket sales than the 2014 season, when general-public season-ticket sales totaled 39,793 (including a sold-out 1,970 in premium club and suites).

As of Friday, that general-public number was 32,656 – or 7,137 fewer than the final 2014 total.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ball-season-ticket-sales-gary-barta/29167897/

Go Gophers!!

That's kind of bad when you think there isn't much to do in Iowa.

I'm very curious to see what the Gophers season ticket numbers are with the increase from last year.

Good it will just make it easier for my group of 15+ guys to get tickets down there! Go Gophers!

It was all going to happen this way for them. Kids do not want to go to Iowa anymore and their campus is very stale. They on the downward portion of the cycle.

I'm going to the Iowa game. This is usually a ticket I would buy in advance. However, with the sales problems they are having and the train wreck season they are going to have, I am all about waiting until the last minute on stubhub.

I'm very curious to see what the Gophers season ticket numbers are with the increase from last year.

Yeah, I would think we will see those figures sometime in the very near future. As for Iowa they definitely seem to be on the down swing after a very solid run. Kind of reminds me of the Mason years where things started to get stale towards the end. Would definitely seem like Ferentz's days in Iowa are limited at this point, still don't think they will fire him during the season out of respect for what he has done there but it won't shock me to see him shown the door after the season if they struggle as much as they seemed primed to. Declining ticket numbers is just the final nail in the coffin in most cases.

I don't know where I read it. It may have been speculation. But I had heard the gophers lost 12% of their ticket holders.

Yeah, I would think we will see those figures sometime in the very near future. As for Iowa they definitely seem to be on the down swing after a very solid run. Kind of reminds me of the Mason years where things started to get stale towards the end. Would definitely seem like Ferentz's days in Iowa are limited at this point, still don't think they will fire him during the season out of respect for what he has done there but it won't shock me to see him shown the door after the season if they struggle as much as they seemed primed to. Declining ticket numbers is just the final nail in the coffin in most cases.

I would like to see Iowa Keep Ferentz for a Long, Long time. Give him a chance to really run that program into the ground. One less program to recruit against.

I don't know where I read it. It may have been speculation. But I had heard the gophers lost 12% of their ticket holders.
I believe the Gopher athletic dept and Norwood Teague said that season renewals were 88% of last year's total. That doesn't include new season ticket requests. Since it's unlikely that renewals exceed 100% unless existing season ticket holders order more tickets than in the past, it's not surprising renewals would be less than 100%. I'm sure the hope is that there is a boost in new season ticket requests to make up the difference.

I would like to see Iowa Keep Ferentz for a Long, Long time. Give him a chance to really run that program into the ground. One less program to recruit against.

They are hiring a new president this fall. Ferentz and AD Gary Barta, will be released.

They are hiring a new president this fall. Ferentz and AD Gary Barta, will be released.

Wouldn't shock me to see Ferentz go the Alvarez route and get bumped to an AD or some other administrative role down there.

If the 12% decrease in renewals is accurate that shows a definite impact of the pricing increase as you would not expect renewals to drop over 10% coming off of 2 - eight win seasons and with a team that is projected to contend in their division this year. The scary part of all that of course is that the real financial implications of the price hike don't kick in until years 2 and 3. But as has been discussed the U is only really concerning themselves with total $$$ at this point and they don't seem too worried about butts in the seats as long as the pocket book gets thicker. I would bet that with the price hike even at 88% renewal the total income from season tickets will almost certainly go up.

Top Bottom