Derrick Engel clarifies transfer to U rumors

Chris Monter

Reaction score
I received this e-mail from Derrick Engel earlier today.

Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you. I'm actually not set on going to Minnesota yet and am surveying all options before I make a decision. They are definitely the favorite and I am willing to walk on there but I want to see what other interest level there is first before I choose what school I am going to attend. It's late in the year and most schools have their scholarships full, but i figured it wouldn't hurt to see what other interest there is before I choose to go there. I will definitely be willing to have a phone conversation with you once I make my decision. Talk to you soon and thank you.

Thanks for sharing Chris, hopefully he'll be calling you with the good news soon.

I would love for him to be a Gopher -- walk on and redshirt this year, and if he works hard there is a decent chance he earns himself a scholarship for his junior/senior year.

Sounds like he'd be a good pick up, and I like his Freshman year tape. Question though, I saw he only had 500-some yards this past year in receiving, was this due to an new/inexperienced QB or something? What was his freshman year stats like? Just wouldn't think a D2 receiver who had 500-some yards would be able to get a D1 scholly right away, but I may be missing something.

Would be great to have the local kid come back and earn a scholly.

I looked up his stats,
64 catch's
1271 yards
19.8 avg
16th all time receiving yards at WSU in two Season

QB issues last year. Led all of NCAA Div 2 true freshmen at 27.48 yards per catch

I looked up his stats,
64 catch's
1271 yards
19.8 avg
16th all time receiving yards at WSU in two Season

QB issues last year. Led all of NCAA Div 2 true freshmen at 27.48 yards per catch

Winona had very inconsistent QB play all year. Winona also runs the ball a lot more than they throw the ball also a hint of why he had such few catches, but he was easily the best receiver.

Top Bottom