Dennis Dodd: Desperation is setting in for the NCAA as Congress looks slow to move on name, image and likeness

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dodd:

Three weeks before name, image and likeness rights will begin one way or another for college athletes, desperation is setting in. That was the overarching message Wednesday from a U.S. Senate hearing on NIL.

After years of arguments, hand-wringing and lawsuits, it has come down to this: Congress must act to control some version of amateurism in the next 21 days. If not, there is the perception that extra benefits will be running wild in the streets starting July 1.

"We need your help," Gonzaga basketball coach Mark Few told legislators. "This is not an issue the NCAA and individual states can fix."

That might be the most compelling NIL statement from a sitting Division I coach. It's out of his hands; it's out of the NCAA's hands. On July 1, at least five states will implement NIL laws that will allow athletes in those states to have benefits the other 45 states do not permit.

Go Gophers!!

I doubt this senate can agree on much of anything, right now. Maybe I'll be surprised, and it will somehow get tucked into something that passes as part of budget reconciliation.

The north pretty much just has Ohio State, as a realistic national champion contender, and I have little doubt that the state of Ohio has already passed laws that guarantee OSU will be able to "offer" whatever the going rate will be for the elite of the elite transfer portal and high school prospects.

Top Bottom