Dennis Dodd: Desperation is setting in for the NCAA as Congress looks slow to move on name, image and likeness

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dodd:

Three weeks before name, image and likeness rights will begin one way or another for college athletes, desperation is setting in. That was the overarching message Wednesday from a U.S. Senate hearing on NIL.

After years of arguments, hand-wringing and lawsuits, it has come down to this: Congress must act to control some version of amateurism in the next 21 days. If not, there is the perception that extra benefits will be running wild in the streets starting July 1.

"We need your help," Gonzaga basketball coach Mark Few told legislators. "This is not an issue the NCAA and individual states can fix."

That might be the most compelling NIL statement from a sitting Division I coach. It's out of his hands; it's out of the NCAA's hands. On July 1, at least five states will implement NIL laws that will allow athletes in those states to have benefits the other 45 states do not permit.

Go Gophers!!

Minnesota needs an NIL law. There is one week to write it before the special session.

Minnesota needs an NIL law. There is one week to write it before the special session.
This may be the funniest post in the history of Gopher Hole.

The MN State Legislature - if it started on an NIL bill today, might - I say might - think about trying to pass it in 3 or 4 years, at best. and then it would probably get bogged down in committee.

This may be the funniest post in the history of Gopher Hole.

The MN State Legislature - if it started on an NIL bill today, might - I say might - think about trying to pass it in 3 or 4 years, at best. and then it would probably get bogged down in committee.
The only state left in the US with each party controlling one chamber. Kinda sad. In MN it's been the case most of the last 20 years. But it sure makes it impossible to get anything done.

The only state left in the US with each party controlling one chamber. Kinda sad. In MN it's been the case most of the last 20 years. But it sure makes it impossible to get anything done.
Due to the way the state Senate is elected. If all or half had been elected in 2018, the DFL would run everything.

Top Bottom