Delta Variant - Are We Ready For A Repeat

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
I’m knocking, pounding! on wood right now but you can bet that the Big10 is actively discussing a repeat of 2020 with no fans in the stands should the Delta Covid variant continue its relentless rise across the country. My hope is that the University requires all fans to present a vaccine card and wear a mask (no beer, no food) as an alternative before they consider canceling the season because of the diminishing few that refuse to get the vaccine. If you’re against the vaccine fine, just don’t ruin it for the rest of us damit! Unfortunately it’s a political issue … but we would not be here if …

Unfortunately, canceling ALL fan in person participation will be the first choice, if they change anything. Depending on the trend of it spreading, we’ll know the answer by mid August.

fmlizard

Reaction score
I’m knocking, pounding! on wood right now but you can bet that the Big10 is actively discussing a repeat of 2020 with no fans in the stands should the Delta Covid variant continue its relentless rise across the country. My hope is that the University requires all fans to present a vaccine card and wear a mask (no beer, no food) as an alternative before they consider canceling the season because of the diminishing few that refuse to get the vaccine. If you’re against the vaccine fine, just don’t ruin it for the rest of us damit! Unfortunately it’s a political issue … but we would not be here if …

Unfortunately, canceling ALL fan in person participation will be the first choice, if they change anything. Depending on the trend of it spreading, we’ll know the answer by mid August.

I hear you. While I'm sure there will be college football this fall, I really hope we all get to go to the games. No socially distanced seating, no masks at seats, and no total gate closures.

Vaxxed and doing what I can. Totally fine with showing proof at the game. Let's hope for the best.

Word

Eats difficult conversations
Reaction score
I think we already have basically this same thread going.

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score

This is the problem watertown.

You chose to take the shot, I did not. That's our right and we both exercised what we believe is best for each of us. But now you are saying that my choice should keep me from enjoying the freedoms that you are entitled to? That's not what our country is all about. Its all about all people being free to make choices under the rule of law.

Nax5

Reaction score

You chose to take the shot, I did not. That's our right and we both exercised what we believe is best for each of us. But now you are saying that my choice should keep me from enjoying the freedoms that you are entitled to? That's not what our country is all about. Its all about all people being free to make choices under the rule of law.
Not really. Going to a football game isn't a human right. You would have to find a new team to cheer for. Or watch from home. So there is your freedom of choice.

WriterGoph

Reaction score

Sorry, man. Please don't go to the games. You made a choice. I hope you have a nice TV

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Sorry Writer. You don't control my life nor my personal choices. Nor should I do the same for you.

But this current Administation? Well that's a different story.

Well, if we are lucky, you won't be allowed at the games. Or on airplanes. Or out of the country. Or in grocery stores. Or in restaurants.

Sorry, Northern Sconny Jonny. You control your own life with your personal choices. Your world is just going to be extremely small and boring for another year or so.

bfriedrichs10

Reaction score

Are we free to go play golf at a country club if we're not members? If you want to play, you pay the price. If you want to go to Gopher football games this fall, there might be a price.

FredCoxRocks

Reaction score

You're right. And, to the frustration of many (both vaxxed and non-vaxxed), certain businesses, schools, organizations, etc. may make their own choice within their legal rights that they feel necessary to help control the pandemic...potentially putting a stop to many of the things we all enjoy. And, if and when that happens I just hope there is no bitching from the non-vaxxed camp.

Last edited:

FredCoxRocks

Reaction score

WriterGoph

Reaction score
And...

We are just banging our heads against the wall here. Unfortunately, I'm sure all these non-vaxxed brickheads just think these stories of people dying are "fake news" or "media spin". They should tell that to their wives and kids though.

Honestly, if we could get every grocery store chain to just require a vaccine card to enter, this shit would start to get resolved real quick.

GoGophersUMN

Reaction score
Cancelling the season or adding restrictions on fans seem extremely unlikely and unnecessary. Anyone over 12 can get the vaccine at this point. Under 12 can't get the vaccine but in total there have only been 3 deaths under 18 from Covid and only 1 death under 18 where there weren't underlying conditions.

At this point there are 3 possibilities:
1. You're over 12 and vaccinated and have very little to worry about (only 0.5% of recent Covid deaths were of vaccinated people)
2. You're over 12 and not vaccinated and can choose to either eliminate your risk by staying home or take the risk of going to the football game
3. You're under 12 and can't be vaccinated but based on what we've seen in the past 18 months have about the same chance of dying in a car crash than from Covid, or have the option of staying home if you want to eliminate your risk

I'm sure they're looking at tons of worst case scenarios but unless things change significantly there's no reason to change the plans. The Twins haven't required masks or socially distancing (beyond the unplanned empty seats because people don't want to pay to watch them play) for months and haven't had issues.

SelectionSunday

Reaction score

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

scools12

Reaction score
Your choice and others like you are putting my unvaccinated 5 year old son’s life in danger. Hope you’re happy.
I am vaccinated and it makes no difference to me if the person sitting next to me at the game is vaccinated or not.

As far as your 5 year old’s life being in danger don’t bring him to the game. It really is that simple.

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
115CEEDD-94AB-4631-8566-2699609C8D1A.jpeg
Bayfieldgopher - I want to wear a metal spike jacket to Gopher games. One that people could be impaled by if they brush up against me. I’m exercising my personal freedom to wear whatever I like in public. To your point, we should all have that right. If there is a fire alarm and people cram for the doors, it’s their problem if they get to close to me. You’re saying the University should not restrict metal jackets at games out of the interest of others because it treads on someone’s person right?

WriterGoph

Reaction score
I am vaccinated and it makes no difference to me if the person sitting next to me at the game is vaccinated or not.

As far as your 5 year old’s life being in danger don’t bring him to the game. It really is that simple.

So the person who has the ability to get vaccinated - but chooses not to - should be able to come and put everyone at risk, but the kid who can't should sit home? Come on, man

scools12

Reaction score
So the person who has the ability to get vaccinated - but chooses not to - should be able to come and put everyone at risk, but the kid who can't should sit home? Come on, man
If you believe the kid is at risk by attending the game then yes they should sit at home. It really is that simple.

And from what we are being told those vaccinated can spread the virus just the same as the unvaccinated so if you’re worried about being at risk stay home too.

Last edited:

WriterGoph

Reaction score
If you believe the kid is at risk by attending the game then yes they should sit at home. It really is that simple.

And from what we are being told those vaccinated can spread the virus just the same as the unvaccinated so if you’re worried about being at risk stay home too.

Corporations will start driving a harder line. Those without the vaxx will be stuck at home. It's only a matter of time.

Plato

Reaction score
If you choose not to get vaccinated and also choose to be in a crowd, albiet outside, not wearing masks, shouting and singing with the full knowledge that you could become deathly ill; go right ahead.
It is what we used to call,'.culling the herd'.
It is a Darwinian experiment taking place in real time.

Wally

Reaction score
View attachment 13519
Bayfieldgopher - I want to wear a metal spike jacket to Gopher games. One that people could be impaled by if they brush up against me. I’m exercising my personal freedom to wear whatever I like in public. To your point, we should all have that right. If there is a fire alarm and people cram for the doors, it’s their problem if they get to close to me. You’re saying the University should not restrict metal jackets at games out of the interest of others because it treads on someone’s person right?
I want to bring an AR-15 with a 100 round drum. You never know when a riot will break out!!!

scools12

Reaction score
Corporations will start driving a harder line. Those without the vaxx will be stuck at home. It's only a matter of time.
That very well may happen. I would disagree with the policy but it’s a choice corporations are free to make.

Last edited:

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
the real underlying issue here is that a lot of us thought this was behind us. without blaming anyone or pointing fingers, I think I can speak for a lot of people in saying that I do not want to go back to masks, restrictions, and all of the stuff we thought was over with.

Going to a football game is a relatively minor issue in the big scheme of things. The real battle will be over schools. at this point, the MN Governor has given up his emergency powers, so he cannot impose new mask mandates. That means it's basically up to individual businesses, organizations and facilities to set their own policies.

In the case of schools, the State Dept of health and State Dept of Education are "recommending" that all students wear masks - but the final decision will be made by individual school districts and school boards. Students are required to wear masks on a school bus, because that falls under federal regulations. (don't ask me why - that's what the local Superintendent told me)

Likewise, any policies on masks and attendance will be set by the U of MN. I suppose the B1G may make a recommendation, but each school will likely set its own policy.

GoldenUMNGopher

Reaction score
Way to vax shame. If you want to follow the science the 5 year old just as likely to be infected by a vaxed as non-vaxed, hence the changed CDC mask rules. Ignore the science if you want to push your narrative.

Word

Eats difficult conversations
Reaction score
Way to vax shame. If you want to follow the science the 5 year old just as likely to be infected by a vaxed as non-vaxed, hence the changed CDC mask rules. Ignore the science if you want to push your narrative.
From what I have read that is only true of people with a breakthrough infection and significant symptoms, which is extremely rare.

GoldenUMNGopher

Reaction score

Top Bottom