Defensive Tackles?

Redbeard

Reaction score
Just wondering how the Gophs are set for D Tackles in 2009.
We picked up 1 last year (2 if we count Kirksey - not sure where he's at) and looking at one this year.
Maybe I'm just too much of a fan of the Williams wall, but I would think we'd want more D Tackle recruits to keep them fresh plugging up the middle - especially against the run teams like Wisconsin.

Just wondering how the Gophs are set for D Tackles in 2009.
We picked up 1 last year (2 if we count Kirksey - not sure where he's at) and looking at one this year.
Maybe I'm just too much of a fan of the Williams wall, but I would think we'd want more D Tackle recruits to keep them fresh plugging up the middle - especially against the run teams like Wisconsin.

I don't know what they have ultimately planned for Terrell Combs but he may be able to play a little inner line if necessary. Anyone know what's up with Combs? And Wilhite?

I don't know what they have ultimately planned for Terrell Combs but he may be able to play a little inner line if necessary. Anyone know what's up with Combs? And Wilhite?

They are both listed as DEs on the current roster.

Kirkesy played DT this past season so he should definitely count as a DT. He and Jewhan Edwards both got a decent amount of playing time.

In the 2009 class we have also added Joey Searcy from TX.

Combs was moved to TE for bowl practices. It seems like they are trying to find a place for him and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a tryout at FB.

The depth at DT is going to be great in 2009 (Brown & Small return as starters, Moen, Edwards and Kirkesy return behind them). However, we'll be thinner there in 2010 with Brown, Small & Moen all being done with their eligibility. It wouldn't surprise me to see Anthony Jacobs move over to DT in 2010 either because he is a bigger DE.

Beau Allen, DT from Minnetonka, is going to be one of the most sought after Minnesota recruits in 2010 and it would really help us to land him. We should be able to offer him more PT than other programs.

Top Bottom