Defensive Improvement

bailee88

Reaction score
How much of the improvement on the defensive side was as a result of better players and had little if nothing to do with the coordinator? I am predicting that our defense will take another step forward next year regardless of who is hired because we will have better players and more depth. We also gave up 55 and 42 points our last 2 games. I think the perception in this case is far worse than the reality.

One thing about football. There are very few secrets/new innovations and many copycats.

I like the varied schemes Roof used to help keep the opposing teams guessing and hopefully unprepared for what was coming.

But, lets not fool ourselves. Good players make coaches look good. There were times when our upgraded talent showed itself. But we need better talent and depth in many position.

The top teams in the BT give up less than 16-17ppg. We are a long ways away from that.

The addition of Lawrence, Simmons, and Brock, the move of Sherels and Campbell, and the return to form of Van De Steeg had a lot to do with the improvement on defense. That is like getting 6 new starters. The focus on creating turnovers was also paramount to the improvement because it helped get the D off the field and it helped keep the scoring down (the rank of scoring is much better than the rank of yardage allowed). The schemes from Roof also played in to improving the pass rush and better defending the pass.

We still have a long way to go in terms of improving the starting talent on our defense. I won't call out any particular players but I can think of one starter that actually has the talent and athletic ability to be a D-2 player but has been overachieving to see the field at this level. When the 2008 and 2009 recruiting classes get to be juniors and seniors we will actually have the talent on D for the Big Ten conference but it's not fair to excpect very many players from those classes to make an impact and start in 2008 or 2009.

Agreed. Players make the defense. I think the talent level was increased a lot this year. Now, the key will be building some depth.

I have wondered, though, if our defense for the last 5 games of 2008 was any better than it was for the last 5 games of 2007. I haven't looked up the stats, but I remember thinking late in 2007 that we looked to be improving with every game wheras I saw a lot of regression at the end of this season.

I won't call out any particular players but I can think of one starter that actually has the talent and athletic ability to be a D-2 player but has been overachieving to see the field at this level. .

About 8 starters weren't on the Big Team All conference awards, which doesn't include people rotating in. I think you are pretty safe without naming names.

About 8 starters weren't on the Big Team All conference awards, which doesn't include people rotating in. I think you are pretty safe without naming names.

He started this year and he returns next year but I don't expect him to start next year. I made out a "Depth Chart" in another thread which would give away my feelings on the subject. However, I think there could be two players that started this year and don't start next year due to players transferring/Juco's stepping in and either one could fit my description.

I would disagree that any returning starter that performed at his level under a returning DC would get the bench. However with a new system and a new coach, everyone's job is up in the air again.

what are you talking about? All of the players left by Mason have D-2 talent, you don't need to name names, its all of them.

Top Bottom