Defensive end

Reaction score
I give all the credit in the world to Barrett Moen for working his way into the starting lineup, but the defensive end position appears to be a prime concern heading into Syracuse. Getting pressure on Paulus and trying to shake him up early has got to be at the top of the game plan--can this defensive line get it done? McKinley has shown pass rushing potential, but Moen is a former walk-on converted tackle that has 11 career tackles to his name. Do we have the depth to bring it for 4 quarters? I would expect to see a lot of blitz packages on Saturday. If Paulus has any mobility or has time in the pocket it is going to cause problems.

We may see a lot of 3-4 alignments with Small, Brown and McKinley mixed in with the standard 4-3. Everyone remembers how effective Lawrence was coming off the corner at times last year.

Jacobs body type appears to be more like a DT. We may see that spot filled by committee and hope that McKinley stays healthy and can duplicate his efforts against KU.

After the OL, DE is #2 on my concern list.

I have my concerns about the DE position as well, specifically rushing the QB and containing the corners. Hopefully Moen's hard work ethic will result in some pressure and tackles. The Gophers have a history of making average or unknown opposing QB's look like Heisman candidates. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a 3-4 alignment with Cooper in the mix.

Top Bottom