Defense YPG

But it's totally the offense we should be nitpicking /s

But it's totally the offense we should be nitpicking /s

Yeah... but this past game, we were up and did absolutely nothing to add on to that lead. Not much has changed on offense, except a new coordinator. So we still have at least two all big ten, plus Mo... but Can't even do anything other than play safe and run against a stacked box?

Yeah... but this past game, we were up and did absolutely nothing to add on to that lead. Not much has changed on offense, except a new coordinator. So we still have at least two all big ten, plus Mo... but Can't even do anything other than play safe and run against a stacked box?
What do you propose we do aside from trying to do better next time? Because I’m sure the coaching staff has already thought of that one

What do you propose we do aside from trying to do better next time? Because I’m sure the coaching staff has already thought of that one

Did you see the play selection? Are you saying you wouldn't change a thing if you were a coach?

Did you see the play selection? Are you saying you wouldn't change a thing if you were a coach?
I just said they would probably try to be better. Did you not read the post your responded to?

You could say the exact same thing about our lead vs Penn State last year. If I remember correctly we basically did the same thing, we got the lead and went into ultra conservative, burn the clock mode. Nearly cost us the game, but didn't this time.

If Kirk was still with us, I am absolutely certain he would have done almost the exact same thing. Should we really be faulting the new OC for doing the same thing when we have the lead that our old OC was doing?

According to KFAN this morning, MN is at the bottom for Defense in yards allowed per play.

In ALL of college FB.
New Mexico has them by a yard in total defense. But it highlights my opinion that even a marginal improvement from here on defense will have enough of an impact to lead to wins. A moderate improvement from here will have a big impact. 6-3 definitely attainable if that improvement happens.

I predict we see improvements against Illinois. It may not be beautiful but I think we will get the win.

You could say the exact same thing about our lead vs Penn State last year. If I remember correctly we basically did the same thing, we got the lead and went into ultra conservative, burn the clock mode. Nearly cost us the game, but didn't this time.

If Kirk was still with us, I am absolutely certain he would have done almost the exact same thing. Should we really be faulting the new OC for doing the same thing when we have the lead that our old OC was doing?
Let me say this; last year against PS, there was the potential the Defense would stand up like they had earlier in the game to snub out the PS comeback.

At Maryland, you knew the D would not stop their O... comparing Apples to Oranges here.

The defense last year was lightyears ahead of the one now. Of course if you're leading you try to run out the clock, but this year, the situation is different. If you haven't stopped them all day, all year so far, then you have to do as much as you can on offense (since that is our strength).

That seems like it must be historically bad.
On a yards allowed per play basis, the next worst team in FBS football that has played at least two games is Vanderbilt at 7.50 yards allowed. New Mexico and U Mass, which have each only played one game, are a tad higher. Gophers are the only team in FBS allowing over 9.0 yards per play. They are also the only team in FBS allowing over 8.0 yards per play. We're really out there. It can't possibly stay this bad.

I think it's overdue for me to tout how talented of a squad Maryland has.
And they are fast!

This is the worse Gopher defense (so far) since the Salem debacle of 1982-83. That's when he ran out of Cal Stoll recruits (and Stoll was basically a defensive coach, as he said many times). Now we're running out of Kill/Claeys recruits - and they were essentially defensive coaches. Hard to see the Gophers, with this defense, winning more than one or two games.

In case anyone's curious, here are the distributions for the MI and MD games and the two games combined. I may have missed a play here or there, but did what I could while procrastinating at work. Histogram of Michigan.jpgHistogram of Maryland.jpgHistogram of All games_2 games.jpg

Top Bottom