Defense today

bga1

Reaction score
That has to be one of the worst halves of defense I have seen. It was a throwback to Monson's last year in the Old Spice. We are not finding guys at all- either on the perimeter or in the paint. Ouch. Interesting to see how Tubby adjusts in the second half.

I'm having a hard time finding any parallels between the team Monson took to the Old Spice tournament and the 2011 team. But I’ll keep trying!

At the time of beej's post there were a lot of parallels.

Nice defensive adjustment in the 2nd half. What took so long?

Posts are certainly relative to time. Man I woke up and quick logged onto Gopherhole to see how they did. (Working nights, out of town, blah,blah,blah) I saw some posts and I thought for sure they lost. Man I was getting depressed, but lo and behold they worked them over in the second half by the looks of the boxscore. Welch with some nice numbers, Andre and Chip also. Gosh the Gophers shot well from 3 also huh? Ralph must be hurting pretty good I'm assuming. I am so happy!

Posts are certainly relative to time. Man I woke up and quick logged onto Gopherhole to see how they did. (Working nights, out of town, blah,blah,blah) I saw some posts and I thought for sure they lost. Man I was getting depressed, but lo and behold they worked them over in the second half by the looks of the boxscore. Welch with some nice numbers, Andre and Chip also. Gosh the Gophers shot well from 3 also huh? Ralph must be hurting pretty good I'm assuming. I am so happy!

Ray, never judge a game's outcome by the negative comments from some of the GH experts. Always check ESPN.com for scores before coming here and getting pissed off.

He adjusted extremely well!

Excellent second half. Gotta hand it to Tubby - he got them playing much better in the second half. A good win. If good coaching is making a second half adjustment- then this was good coaching. We threw some three guard looks in the second half with combos of Armelin, Dre, Austin and Welch that looked very good. This is a club that has to play at good tempo and with aggressiveness. Plodding play doesn't do it with these guys at this point.

I'm having a hard time finding any parallels between the team Monson took to the Old Spice tournament and the 2011 team. But I’ll keep trying!

Mother- there is no similarity between the two teams talent wise - this one is far superior in potential. The parallel was the sluggish play and matador defense by nearly everybody we put out there in the first half. Great adjustment by Tubby in the second half. It's a win- so he gets full credit for getting the guys to turn it 180 at the half.

Since the thread is suppose to be about defense ... can anyone comment on Dre Hollins' D? To my eye, he is average at very best. Just seems very fundamentally weak. I think he's got a nice overall game and a good future here but I was taken aback at how he gets beat and then its pretty much over. Thoughts?

Since the thread is suppose to be about defense ... can anyone comment on Dre Hollins' D? To my eye, he is average at very best. Just seems very fundamentally weak. I think he's got a nice overall game and a good future here but I was taken aback at how he gets beat and then its pretty much over. Thoughts?

He got torched in the first half. I am a big fan of his and love to see him on the floor as I think he has great upside. But the defense has to improve and I'm sure it will. He's smart and has quickness so it should be fixable.

Andre Hollins' big problem is that he doesn't know what a foul is in Division I basketball, so he either plays defensive aggressively and gets into foul trouble, or gives his guy too much room. Defense comes down to athleticism and effort, and he has both. He'll figure it out.

I think Andre's problem is similar to Sampson's - Its got to unnerving when your NBA coach dad is in the stands! ;)

At the time of beej's post there were a lot of parallels.

Disagree. The Gophers were playing against an NCAA tourny team with 4 returning starters. They know how to run their offense and the Gophers have a bunch of guys who aren't used to each other yet. Plus Monson played a fair share of zone. Don't recall if they did that during the last Old Spice tourny, but it wasn't similar at all.

He also really struggles with screens.

Andre Hollins' big problem is that he doesn't know what a foul is in Division I basketball, so he either plays defensive aggressively and gets into foul trouble, or gives his guy too much room. Defense comes down to athleticism and effort, and he has both. He'll figure it out.

underground629 said:
He also really struggles with screens.

I think/hope we'll start to see more of Dre with Welch on the floor.

Disagree. The Gophers were playing against an NCAA tourny team with 4 returning starters. They know how to run their offense and the Gophers have a bunch of guys who aren't used to each other yet. Plus Monson played a fair share of zone. Don't recall if they did that during the last Old Spice tourny, but it wasn't similar at all.

My recollection doesn't have the same level of detail as yours. However, Monson's team gave up a lot of wide open shots that weekend, much like today.

My recollection doesn't have the same level of detail as yours. However, Monson's team gave up a lot of wide open shots that weekend, much like today.

Wait, let me get this straight: "A lot of parallels" equates to "gave up a lot of wide open shots...much like today"? That is exactly one similarity.

That's pretty neat.

Wait, let me get this straight: "A lot of parallels" equates to "gave up a lot of wide open shots...much like today"? That is exactly one similarity.

That's pretty neat.

Good point. I should have worded it "one enormous, broad, overriding, absolute parallel."

Good point. I should have worded it "one enormous, broad, overriding, absolute parallel."

You know who else gave up a bunch of wide open shots? Last year's Connecticut team throughout the season.

See? I can make blind, pointless connections too.

Top Bottom