Dave Mona's role

station19

Reaction score
Posted by jovs on Brady Hoke thread:

"Michelle Tafoya on WCCO radio said she shared a flight from San Diego to Minneapolis with Joel Maturi and Dave Mona last night."

Have not heard much discussion on Dave Mona's involvement with the coach search. What's everyones thoughts on this and what is his role in coach search and after coach is named.

I think it's no different than you or I being on the committee. He's a big Gopher fan, know's little about coaching the game. I don't like it. Nice guy, want's the Gophers to win, but shouldn't be part of the search. I don't think he should be part of our awful broadcast team either. He'd be OK to the pregame stuff, but again his football knowledge is sub-par.

I think it's no different than you or I being on the committee. He's a big Gopher fan, know's little about coaching the game. I don't like it. Nice guy, want's the Gophers to win, but shouldn't be part of the search. I don't think he should be part of our awful broadcast team either. He'd be OK to the pregame stuff, but again his football knowledge is sub-par.

I would assume (at least I hope) that his role isn't so much in searching a deciding on a hire, but maybe in trying to persuade candidates to come here?

I think Mona is selling the U and helping Maturi with what should and can't go public.

I think Mona brings two things to the table: (1) Selling the University and the state of Minnesota to prospective candidates, and (2) Trying to determine what, if any, obstacles the candidate may have in terms of the public relations aspect of the job.

Yes, I agree that Maturi has probably made Mona's role very clear:

1) Sell the U to prospective coaches
2) Once the hire is done, sell the coach to the U and the community

I think Maturi realized that Brewster lost a significant part of the media and some of the fan base at his introductory press conference. Mona should be able to help the next coach avoid a similar fate.

Batman-and-Robin.jpg

I think Maturi realized that Brewster lost a significant part of the media and some of the fan base at his introductory press conference. Mona should be able to help the next coach avoid a similar fate.

+1. You've said what I tried to say, only much more clearly and concisely. There's a ton of anticipation in the media about his hire. Some of it seems to be genuine excitement, but there are probably a few vultures out there waiting to poo-poo the result of the search with a "I told ya" attitude. Having Mona involved can help make whatever hire incorporate into the situation more smoothly and make sure it's on as positive a note as can be expected.

Yes, I agree that Maturi has probably made Mona's role very clear:

1) Sell the U to prospective coaches
2) Once the hire is done, sell the coach to the U and the community

Was Mona Maturi's idea or Bruininks idea.

Y

I see nothing wrong with involving Mona, but I can't imagine that's a major role for him. If the guy needs a PR pro to get started, the U has probably really screwed up again. Mona has great connections and understands the culture of the U as well as anybody. I think he'll be tapping donors for more cash for hires; I think he's there to reassure the fans it's not Maturi's decision alone this time; and I think one of his jobs is to keep President Bruininks and the powers that be directly informed. He's sort of like a Gopher secret double agent and Joel doesn't realize who Mona really is. (Sorry, but I like spy movies)

1) he's actually pretty knowledgeable about sports.
2) He is a smart business person who makes good decisions. He is specifically comfortable in investing for the future, where history would say Joel is much happier just balancing the budget, and hoping somehow that lightening strikes.
3) Most of us can be bs'd by somebody, having two people interview reduces the odds a lot that another TB mistake happens. 3-5 is even better, but the logistics don't work.
4) He is good at PR, and can at least help judge if the person will hang himself immediately in the community. The media will give any coach crap, but some folks just put a target on their back. I liked Brews enthusiasm, but he set himself up for rips from the day he got here. Maturi has no clue here, since he also sets himself up for rips with absolutely no clue he is doing it.

1) he's actually pretty knowledgeable about sports.
2) He is a smart business person who makes good decisions. He is specifically comfortable in investing for the future, where history would say Joel is much happier just balancing the budget, and hoping somehow that lightening strikes.
3) Most of us can be bs'd by somebody, having two people interview reduces the odds a lot that another TB mistake happens. 3-5 is even better, but the logistics don't work.
4) He is good at PR, and can at least help judge if the person will hang himself immediately in the community. The media will give any coach crap, but some folks just put a target on their back. I liked Brews enthusiasm, but he set himself up for rips from the day he got here. Maturi has no clue here, since he also sets himself up for rips with absolutely no clue he is doing it.

Agree. #4 is what I was driving at. Brewster ignited the skeptics after his first press conference.

Top Bottom