Dave Mona note to PA...

Sparlimb

Reaction score
Mona pointed out that in our proud history of Gopher Footall, Gopher QB's have exactly ONE TD in the NFL. This may explain a lot. It was thrown by Gino Capelleti who does the color commentary for the Patriots Radio broadcasts and happened to be on a fake field goal.

This is why we haven't won a Big Ten title in 50 years. We haven't had the studs. For a BCS scchool, that stat is unacceptable.

What about Mike Hohensse? He has four TD passes for the Chicago bears 1987

I believe he was a replacement player during the strike that year. So, you can count the stats if you'd like - technically he did throw 4 TD's in the NFL. Some would probably not count it.

I suppose it's not a good sign when your leader in passing touchdowns is a running back, albeit a hall of famer.

Bronko Nagurski leads with seven.

Spergon Wynn also had a TD for the Vikings against the Packers!

They did mention Spergon Wynn, although they discounted him as well as he transferred and graduated elsewhere. But you could argue a second td...

I suppose it's not a good sign when your leader in passing touchdowns is a running back, albeit a hall of famer.

Bronko Nagurski leads with seven.

I was thinking along those same lines, I'm pretty sure M. Barber has at least one for Dallas.

I believe their is some truth to this, although some very good-to great college QB's have never thrown an NFL td pass. A recent example would be Todd Reesing who was a major reason why Kansas had a few good years, and he hasn't (and won't) throw an NFL td pass. It is also notable that Cory Sauter played parts of 5 seasons in the NFL, but only got regular season game action once.

So, was Dave Mona flat out wrong or was he misquoted here? I didn't hear his statement.

Well, technically he was wrong I guess.

Wynn and Hohensee were the only two QUARTERBACKS to throw a touchdown. As was pointed out Hohensee was a scab, and Wynn is hardly associated with Minnesota in any meaningful way. But the statement as he said it was clearly incorrect.

This says a lot on the state of the program over the last 50 years. Amazing.

Well, technically he was wrong I guess.

Wynn and Hohensee were the only two QUARTERBACKS to throw a touchdown. As was pointed out Hohensee was a scab, and Wynn is hardly associated with Minnesota in any meaningful way. But the statement as he said it was clearly incorrect.

The original post says Mona said it was only Capelletti, who was a flanker, so Mona couldn't have meant only QBs, if OP was correct, correct?

This says something about Gopher QBs:

Bronko Nagurski leads all former Gophers with 7 NFL TD passes,

How dearly I would trade 6 National Championships at the "U" for a few more NFL TD passes.

How dearly I would trade 6 National Championships at the "U" for a few more NFL TD passes.
The last of those titles being proudly acknowledged by President John Adams.

I'm kidding! It's not that bad.

It was John Quincy Adams.

Top Bottom