Darren Wolfson 17 minute 1on1 with Pitino

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/691618369020284928

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My full Q&A w/ Richard Pitino. We talk the issues of the present, the future, his contract extension, etc.
<a href="https://t.co/5HPouoNHKF">https://t.co/5HPouoNHKF</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/gophers?src=hash">#gophers</a></p>— Darren Wolfson (@DWolfsonKSTP) <a href="https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/691618369020284928">January 25, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This was somewhat revealing in that it sounds like there was internal expectations communicated by Pitino to the AD that this year would be a complete reset. Now the question is if there is still support for that vision (i.e. patience). The normal arc would be year one bad, year 2 better , year three better yet and so on. Here the arc shifted because he tried to win now with the Hollins'. I think that the youth of the team and lack of high end talent is magnifying any coaching mistakes/issues.

The normal arc would be year one bad, year 2 better , year three better yet and so on. Here the arc shifted because he tried to win now with the Hollins'. I think that the youth of the team and lack of high end talent is magnifying any coaching mistakes/issues.

It was also shifted because he was handed a complete garbage recruiting class by Tubby. Was in no position to make up for that in the summer leading up to year one. Year 2 is on Dick Pit though. Years 3 & 4 look promising.

He didn't necessarily try to win now. He played his best players and didn't tank the program. As he says they overachieved. King is a senior and Pitino rewards him with playing time. It's a tough balance some would not do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He said a lot of the right things. Hopefully we continue to see the improvement throughout the rest of the season and into next season.

He's right, need to follow up this good recruiting class with another one.

He said a lot of the right things. Hopefully we continue to see the improvement throughout the rest of the season and into next season.

He's right, need to follow up this good recruiting class with another one.

More importantly, he desperately needs next year to be his best year to date in the standings.

Wow - a coach who "tried to win." What a concept.

Would you please list a few of the coaches who "tried to lose?"

I think that his interviews are generally excellent. He's usually candid and funny. This one was tough to watch because I thought he engaged in a lot of revisionist history. I don't believe that when he took the job he looked at the roster and the program and projected year three as the start of the rebuild. I think he projected year three as Sweet Sixteen. He thought he could get better players in here and do a better job coaching the ones he inherited as well as the new ones. I don't care how much he professes his love for Mpls, he's an ambitious guy who planned to be chatting with the blue bloods by now.

I still think he's a talented coach who should be given at least one more season after this one. I don't believe that he anticipated a down year in the third season. I think coaching in the B1G and coaching here is a much bigger, tougher gig than he imagined and he probably could have used an interim stop before arriving in the B!G.

Agree with Jamiche about Year 3. There's no way in Year 3 Pitino expected the program to be trending downward, and certainly not to be fighting for last place in the conference. Not buying that all. Usually by Year 3 there's visual progress on the floor. Now we're being told we're rebuilding in Year 3 and that Years 4 & 5 were the expectation all along.

Agree with Jamiche about Year 3. There's no way in Year 3 Pitino expected the program to be trending downward, and certainly not to be fighting for last place in the conference. Not buying that all. Usually by Year 3 there's visual progress on the floor. Now we're being told we're rebuilding in Year 3 and that Years 4 & 5 were the expectation all along.

I don't think he thought, when he took the job, that year 3 would be a problem. It wasn't because of the talent in the program, but it was because he was super confident in his ability to recruit. Over confident. Then reality hit with his first full recruiting class when he took lots of swings and misses at top 50 type guys from around the country. Then he had to come back around late with plan B guys. The crowning blow was not being able to get Travis and then having to hunt for bigs. That first recruiting class killed year three.

I don't think he thought, when he took the job, that year 3 would be a problem. It wasn't because of the talent in the program, but it was because he was super confident in his ability to recruit. Over confident. Then reality hit with his first full recruiting class when he took lots of swings and misses at top 50 type guys from around the country. Then he had to come back around late with plan B guys. The crowning blow was not being able to get Travis and then having to hunt for bigs. That first recruiting class killed year three.

Yep. It's pretty obvious the real killer is the first full-fledged recruiting class, this year's sophomores. Mason, Konate, and Diedhiou is all he has to show for it at this point. Think most of us would agree Mason has panned out well, the other two (certainly Diedhiou) not so much. Martin turning out to be a flake, obviously, that's another guy in that class.

To be fair, and I think Bleed pointed this out previously, if both Lynch and Fitzgerald turn out to be difference-making B1G players, that class (all juniors next season) still could turn out OK. (I still think Bakary can be a serviceable back-up C.) But if Lynch and Fitzgerald end up being nothing more than complementary/rotation players. ...

I don't think I'm a Pitino apologist or even a fanboy. But I will admit, I will always cut him some slack because I genuinely like the guy and take him at his word.

Now if he turns out to be a slimeball like most other coaches out there it'll hurt pretty bad that I fell for it. But I think he could have that Izzo style love afair with a program where you just have to like him. I genuinely cannot wait for a big game in Nate Mason's senior year where he hits a big shot and goes and celebrates with Pitino, it'll make all of this worth it.

Agreed. I don't think it was his plan from day 1. But I think he could tell around the middle of non conference year 2 at the latest that this would be a rebuilding year. I can't recall when it started, but even NT was going around talking about this being a "reset" year.

I think that his interviews are generally excellent. He's usually candid and funny. This one was tough to watch because I thought he engaged in a lot of revisionist history. I don't believe that when he took the job he looked at the roster and the program and projected year three as the start of the rebuild. I think he projected year three as Sweet Sixteen. He thought he could get better players in here and do a better job coaching the ones he inherited as well as the new ones. I don't care how much he professes his love for Mpls, he's an ambitious guy who planned to be chatting with the blue bloods by now.

I still think he's a talented coach who should be given at least one more season after this one. I don't believe that he anticipated a down year in the third season. I think coaching in the B1G and coaching here is a much bigger, tougher gig than he imagined and he probably could have used an interim stop before arriving in the B!G.

Whole post spot on. Not "Blue Blood" but that whole Alabama thing last spring revealed a lot. Cynical me thinks he went for that job and had an, "Oh, sh*t, I'm stuck here moment," when it became evident he was out of the running. Now, he's putting the best spin on it. Meanwhile, we have a coach who many see as a dead man walking; or one, who if he does bounce back, will split anyway. For all you frustrated youngsters out there, try being old and hoping things work out in time so you can actually enjoy it.

Whole post spot on. Not "Blue Blood" but that whole Alabama thing last spring revealed a lot. Cynical me thinks he went for that job and had an, "Oh, sh*t, I'm stuck here moment," when it became evident he was out of the running. Now, he's putting the best spin on it. Meanwhile, we have a coach who many see as a dead man walking; or one, who if he does bounce back, will split anyway. For all you frustrated youngsters out there, try being old and hoping things work out in time so you can actually enjoy it.

This is all speculation though right? There is no proof that he was really interested in the Alabama job. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. But I don't get how some people just assume one way or another at 100% certainty.

This is all speculation though right? There is no proof that he was really interested in the Alabama job. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. But I don't get how some people just assume one way or another at 100% certainty.

Depends on how much you like the coach IMO. I assume the guys who believe that wouldn't care if he left either way

Yep. It's pretty obvious the real killer is the first full-fledged recruiting class, this year's sophomores. Mason, Konate, and Diedhiou is all he has to show for it at this point. Think most of us would agree Mason has panned out well, the other two (certainly Diedhiou) not so much. Martin turning out to be a flake, obviously, that's another guy in that class.

To be fair, and I think Bleed pointed this out previously, if both Lynch and Fitzgerald turn out to be difference-making B1G players, that class (all juniors next season) still could turn out OK. (I still think Bakary can be a serviceable back-up C.) But if Lynch and Fitzgerald end up being nothing more than complementary/rotation players. ...

I'm highly skeptical of the potential impact of redshirts and transfers because they are the college basketball version of the backup QB syndrome. They represent hope, particularly when things aren't going well. Realistically, a guy who averaged nine points a game at Illinois St. and was only on the floor half of the time isn't going to come in and pound the other B1G centers into submission. He will help and he will probably be a little bit of an upgrade over Bakary. To expect much more than that is unrealistic and unreasonable. To expect Fitzgerald to return to his freshman productivity and even progress beyond that after major knee surgery is also unrealistic and unreasonable. I think they both will help, but there is a reason they are here and neither of them are in the category of the 1-3 guys who could turn this thing. Hope I can look back at that last sentence a year from now and laugh about how wrong I was.

Taking two sit out a year transfers sure points to having one good year and he will be out of here after that in my mind, it is not the recipe for a rebuilding project.

I'm highly skeptical of the potential impact of redshirts and transfers because they are the college basketball version of the backup QB syndrome. They represent hope, particularly when things aren't going well. Realistically, a guy who averaged nine points a game at Illinois St. and was only on the floor half of the time isn't going to come in and pound the other B1G centers into submission. He will help and he will probably be a little bit of an upgrade over Bakary. To expect much more than that is unrealistic and unreasonable. To expect Fitzgerald to return to his freshman productivity and even progress beyond that after major knee surgery is also unrealistic and unreasonable. I think they both will help, but there is a reason they are here and neither of them are in the category of the 1-3 guys who could turn this thing. Hope I can look back at that last sentence a year from now and laugh about how wrong I was.

Agree. I never expect transfers to be saviors. That's dangerous to rely on that, but I suspect a lot of folks are grabbing onto that because of the current plight of the program.

Agree. I never expect transfers to be saviors. That's dangerous to rely on that, but I suspect a lot of folks are grabbing onto that because of the current plight of the program.

I think they'll both help. I think Lynch will clean up a lot of issues on defense, blocking shots and rebounding, hopefully he stays out of foul trouble. Any offense is a bonus IMO. Fitz IDK hopefully he can defend better than Morris and has a higher IQ than Buggs, that'll upgrade the three spot in itself, worse case I think he provides depth, between him, Hurt, Gilbert, Coffey and McBreyer, a lot of guys can play the three, see how it shakes out

Transfers are rarely saviors because they aren't usually replacing absolute gaping holes in the roster like these two are. That's the difference you aren't accounting for.

Our wing and center play are some of the worst in my experience of watching college basketball.

So that being said. The difference between what we are currently getting from the 3 and 5 slots compared to next year could have the same impact of a normal team bringing in a stud transfer a la mbakwe or someone like that.

So no, Lynch and Fitz are not saviors, but they did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

Transfers are rarely saviors because they aren't usually replacing absolute gaping holes in the roster like these two are. That's the difference you aren't accounting for.

Our wing and center play are some of the worst in my experience of watching college basketball.

So that being said. The difference between what we are currently getting from the 3 and 5 slots compared to next year could have the same impact of a normal team bringing in a stud transfer a la mbakwe or someone like that.

So no, Lynch and Fitz are not saviors, but they did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

They could also be better than anyone expects. You just don't know until they play. I think everyone was optimistic about Mbakwe, but how many really expected him to do what he did after doing nothing his freshman year at Marquette? I didn't consider him a stud recruit, but he was a 3* recruit who filled a hole, much like Lynch and Fitzgerald.

Lynch I think will be a pretty solid starter. Missouri Valley or not he has been a solid player and an extra year for a big man to improve can't hurt. Fitzgerald I'm not so sure on but given a year probably closer to two to recover from knee surgery in today's medical world that shouldn't be problem in most recoveries. I doubt you take him if medically they aren't sure he will be fine. Considering the Jarvis Johnson situation I hope that is the case. In defense of Pitino the Johnson not being able to play was a big setback for the program as well..

King is a senior and Pitino rewards him with playing time. It's a tough balance some would not do.

Which coach wouldn't give their best 3-pt shooter playing time? It's not like he's 5'1" with no leaping ability. He's not the best defender, sure - but in this age of basketball where it's hard to defend without fouling and shooting from the outside is absolutely paramount to success, you need to play as many shooters as you can. He's also 2nd on the team in scoring, 4th in rebounding, and only has 20 turnovers on the year - lowest among the regulars sans Buggs.

Truth is the reason we struggle on offense is we don't have the 3-pt shooters to make teams pay.

Um, when Pops comes out and says he ended up concluding that he wasn't ready to take the Alabama job it certainly is more than speculation. Nobody is claiming 100% BTW.

I don't know, but I just get the impression from Pitino that he will split the first chance he gets. If he survives this coaching stint by not getting fired after next season and all of a sudden another school that supports basketball more comes knocking offering the same or more money - he is out of here. There is no doubt that Pitino does not want to get fired and I believe that this job is a lot harder than he anticipated. In order for him to have future opportunities, he will split the first chance he gets.

It is interesting on how many view Pitino's tenure at Minnesota. There way also many who had him out the door before he even coached his first game tor the Gophers.

Top Bottom