Dantonio's big MSU recruiting haul

GopherGod

Reaction score

Dantonio is doing a real nice job there, hopefully it effects Michigan more so than Minnesota.

Dantonio is doing a real nice job there, hopefully it effects Michigan more so than Minnesota.

17 of State's verbals are from MI and OH while Michigan only has a handful. A strong Michigan State hurts Michigan (and Notre Dame somewhat) more than it hurts us.

Rich Rod has tried to turn Michigan from a regional recruiting focus to a national recruiting focus. As he has done so it has opened up the door for Michigan State to get early commitments from Michigan kids that aren't feeling the love from Ann Arbor. RR has gotten some late recruits out of Michigan (Cam Gordon, Will Campbell) but Dantonio took most of the good ones early (like Larry Caper). It remains to be seen whether this is a one year phenomenon or whether it has legs because Michigan State did not recruit near as well last year, but RR wasn't in Michigan last year. It could be that Michigan gets back to the top with national recruits and in the process creates another power in the Big Ten by letting Michigan State hoard all of the talent that Michigan is leaving behind.

We have competed with MSU for a few recruits this year (Gainer, Hammock, Hageman) and we competed with them for Gray last year. We will bump in to them and compete from time to time because Brewster and Dantonio will both recruit Indiana and we're willing to go in to each other's backyard for players (we picked up Dandridge & Watkins from Michigan the past two years). However, within the conference we have been going up against Wisconsin and Iowa more frequently than anyone else and then probably Illinois (St. Louis & Chicago recruits) followed by Michigan & Michigan State and OSU will try to come to Minnesota for top recruits (Mobley, Hagemen, Henderson). I think we're likely to go up against Texas Tech & Texas A&M as frequently as many of the Big Ten schools.

I agree, I really like Dantonio and think he is a great coach, he has won everywhere he has been and seems like a genuine guy. I wish them luck, except for when the gophers are playing them.

Rich Rod has tried to turn Michigan from a regional recruiting focus to a national recruiting focus. As he has done so it has opened up the door for Michigan State to get early commitments from Michigan kids that aren't feeling the love from Ann Arbor. RR has gotten some late recruits out of Michigan (Cam Gordon, Will Campbell) but Dantonio took most of the good ones early (like Larry Caper). It remains to be seen whether this is a one year phenomenon or whether it has legs because Michigan State did not recruit near as well last year, but RR wasn't in Michigan last year. It could be that Michigan gets back to the top with national recruits and in the process creates another power in the Big Ten by letting Michigan State hoard all of the talent that Michigan is leaving behind.

We have competed with MSU for a few recruits this year (Gainer, Hammock, Hageman) and we competed with them for Gray last year. We will bump in to them and compete from time to time because Brewster and Dantonio will both recruit Indiana and we're willing to go in to each other's backyard for players (we picked up Dandridge & Watkins from Michigan the past two years). However, within the conference we have been going up against Wisconsin and Iowa more frequently than anyone else and then probably Illinois (St. Louis & Chicago recruits) followed by Michigan & Michigan State and OSU will try to come to Minnesota for top recruits (Mobley, Hagemen, Henderson). I think we're likely to go up against Texas Tech & Texas A&M as frequently as many of the Big Ten schools.

I would expect Michigan State to continue to recruit well, it seems that Dantonio relates well to the players and he is definitely building a winner. If you look at their average classes versus ours since Dantonio and Brewster arrived on campus we are ahead of them slightly but it will be interesting to see who will come out ahead in the long run in brewster vs dantonio since they both arrived at the same time.

Top Bottom