Dane Mizutni: 5 things we learned about the Gophers in non-confernce play

BleedGopher

Reaction score

per Dane:

Here are 5 things we learned during non-conference play, with the Big Ten schedule now only a few days away:

BIG TEN WEST NOT AS OPEN AS IMAGINED

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...about_the_Gophers_in_nonconference_play092915

Go Gophers!!

I didn't read the article...what's he say about this one? I'd argue it's even MORE open that many thought. With the exception of Purdue, every team has done some great things in the non-conference, but they've all got their obvious flaws as well.

Did anyone pick NW in the preseason to win the West? They're clearly in the driver's seat, but there's no way they run away with that offense.

Wisconsin was probably the most popular preseason pick, and they've looked good, but not dominant.

Neb was probably the second sexiest pick, and they've lost 2 games, but both came down to the final minute.

Iowa has beaten two downtrodden Big 5 teams -- one on a miracle FG, and another after trailing at half (and, I'd argue, getting beat up).

MN clearly has problems, but they played TCU to the wire, and on the whole they've played about as well as they did the past 2 years in non-con.

I didn't read the article...what's he say about this one? I'd argue it's even MORE open that many thought. With the exception of Purdue, every team has done some great things in the non-conference, but they've all got their obvious flaws as well.

Did anyone pick NW in the preseason to win the West? They're clearly in the driver's seat, but there's no way they run away with that offense.

Wisconsin was probably the most popular preseason pick, and they've looked good, but not dominant.

Neb was probably the second sexiest pick, and they've lost 2 games, but both came down to the final minute.

Iowa has beaten two downtrodden Big 5 teams -- one on a miracle FG, and another after trailing at half (and, I'd argue, getting beat up).

MN clearly has problems, but they played TCU to the wire, and on the whole they've played about as well as they did the past 2 years in non-con.

That was my first thought, but if you read it I think he means that it isn't as open for the Gophers because a few teams have looked better than expected (NW and Iowa).

I think he's getting at Wisconsin's coaching change hasn't hurt them much if at all so they're more solid, where otherwise there was some hint or dugout about the transition.

Also with Iowa and Northwestern not stinking the room for error shrinks pretty pretty dramatically.

Also we have had our injuries and such issues

I guess it depends on how you think of "open" but I'd say at this point it is going to be a harder road, particularly for us.

In the end, you win games with horses (metaphor boys). Coaching changes matter less than talent left behind. I think that puts Wisconsin as the favorite until someone comes up and beats them in the west. I'm not a Tommy Armstrong fan (doesn't win big games), so I'm putting Nebraska on 4-4. Iowa and Northwestern both could end around 5-3. I'm waiting and seeing on us, because I don't see many horses we can ride on our team either. I miss DCobb.

Hey, this guy is the Sports Editor of the Woodbury Bulletin. Wow.

This is what bugs me about ESPN1500 - both on air and on the website. They take some guy, and proclaim them to be their "baseball expert," or "football expert," regardless of credentials or knowledge. It basically comes down to: "if we say you're an expert, that makes you an expert."

They also tend to be very heavy on analytics. it's all about stats - what you see with the naked eye doesn't count, if it doesn't jibe with some new metric.

Hey, this guy is the Sports Editor of the Woodbury Bulletin. Wow.

This is what bugs me about ESPN1500 - both on air and on the website. They take some guy, and proclaim them to be their "baseball expert," or "football expert," regardless of credentials or knowledge. It basically comes down to: "if we say you're an expert, that makes you an expert."

They also tend to be very heavy on analytics. it's all about stats - what you see with the naked eye doesn't count, if it doesn't jibe with some new metric.

I like stats but am with you in that I want to see it for myself.

image.jpeg

How is it not wide open? Nobody has played a conference game yet. Iowa looks better than expected??? They have played NOBODY and I fully expected them to be 4-0, they have one of the easiest schedules in the country. NW has been better than expected but they still gave up 19 points to Ball State. They are not some juggernaut. I think the B1G west is still very much wide open.

How is it not wide open? Nobody has played a conference game yet. Iowa looks better than expected??? They have played NOBODY and I fully expected them to be 4-0, they have one of the easiest schedules in the country. NW has been better than expected but they still gave up 19 points to Ball State. They are not some juggernaut. I think the B1G west is still very much wide open.

Amen, brother. My sentiments exactly.

Top Bottom