Dane Mizutani: It's time to start thinking about Gophers RB Rodney Smith

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dane:

Smith is also on a similar trajectory to Cobb's from a couple of seasons ago.

That season Cobb came out of nowhere to steal the starting role from Williams (and Donnell Kirkwood). He started with 6 carries for 69 yards against UNLV in the season opener. He followed that up with 9 carries for 56 yards against New Mexico State and 13 carries for 82 yards against Western Illinois before breaking out with 25 carries for 125 yards against San Jose State. Cobb never surrendered the starting role after that and is now a member of the Tennessee Titans.

And while Smith still has a long ways to go to fill Cobb's enormous shoes, it seems like it's only a matter of time before he's the lead back for the Gophers.

"I should've played him more (against TCU)," Kill said on Tuesday. "Yeah. I should've played him more."

It's clear a change is coming -- perhaps sooner than some might expect.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/..._thinking_about_Gophers_RB_Rodney_Smith090815

Go Gophers!!

He looked great. It was also just 1-game. I'm also not writing Nugget off yet - we will need him at some point this year.

Agreed, Spoofin.

We are all guilty of it. I'm guilty of it. Not trying to bash anyone.... but man, we live in a knee-jerk reaction society.

But he did look ever-so-smooth...

per Dane:

Smith is also on a similar trajectory to Cobb's from a couple of seasons ago.

I don't remember if I had an A in my stats classes but I'm pretty sure you need more than one point for a "trajectory".

He looked good in one game as part of a losing effort against a retooled TCU defense that gave up a ton of points last season:

• 33 to Oklahoma
  • 61 to Baylor
  • 27 to Texas Tech
  • 31 to West Virginia
  • 30 to Kansas

Let's lay off the Smith hype for a couple weeks and see if he can stay healthy and focused.

I don't remember if I had an A in my stats classes but I'm pretty sure you need more than one point for a "trajectory".

He looked good in one game as part of a losing effort against a retooled TCU defense that gave up a ton of points last season:

• 33 to Oklahoma
  • 61 to Baylor
  • 27 to Texas Tech
  • 31 to West Virginia
  • 30 to Kansas

Let's lay off the Smith hype for a couple weeks and see if he can stay healthy and focused.

Also need to remember how many points they scored that allowed those teams lots positions and chances to score.

Go Gophers

Top Bottom