Dan Mullen- surprised so little talk here

MSGopher

Reaction score
I am a bit surprised there isn't more discussion of Dan Mullen. There were tweets last nighte from Joe Schmit and Matt O'Connell mentioning that he is a candidate along with the other guys mentioned. In fact, it was Mullen, not Golden, on Schmit's "list of three" that he had heard about, though I he said "Mullen would be HR" and I have no idea what that means.

I for one think Mullen would be a home run. Given the realistic possible candidates, I believe he is #1 on my list:

1) Dan Mullen;
2) Brady Hoke;
3) Troy Calhoun (do not like this one but I am sticking to the three supposed "finalists".

PS- Is it just me or does Brady Hoke look like he was born to coach football?

While I wouldn't mind Mullen, I do have to wonder if the whole Cam Newton mess will muddy the water enough to scare the Admin. away?

Maybe Golden, Mullen, and Hoke are the guys in the mix. I would be fine with any of them or Calhoun. Talk is pretty quiet on Calhoun for his regular season being over.

While I wouldn't mind Mullen, I do have to wonder if the whole Cam Newton mess will muddy the water enough to scare the Admin. away?

Why do people keep saying this? What in this situation did Mullen do that would scare away the admin, was it something from his time at Florida? By all accounts MSU has acted in the proper manner from and Admin standpoint on this issue and Mullen's name hasn't been mentioned in any of the reports.

I for one think Mullen would be a home run. Given the realistic possible candidates, I believe he is #1 on my list:

1) Dan Mullen;
2) Brady Hoke;
3) Troy Calhoun (do not like this one but I am sticking to the three supposed "finalists".

+1

Mullen is my number 1 choice; but if we do not get him, I would be very happy with Hoke.

Why do people keep saying this? What in this situation did Mullen do that would scare away the admin, was it something from his time at Florida? By all accounts MSU has acted in the proper manner from and Admin standpoint on this issue and Mullen's name hasn't been mentioned in any of the reports.

I'm asking it as an open question. It seems there's still much to be determined there and our Admin. is beyond gun-shy. I'd say even a question of what Miss. State may have done 2 years ago is a lot more relavent then what Jimmy Williams did or did not do in 1975.

He ended up at Auburn. I don't think Mississippi St. could have done too much outside the rules or he would have ended up there.

I'm asking it as an open question. It seems there's still much to be determined there and our Admin. is beyond gun-shy. I'd say even a question of what Miss. State may have done 2 years ago is a lot more relavent then what Jimmy Williams did or did not do in 1975.

Dan Mullen is only in his second season there so I don't see what happened two years ago as relevant. Also two years ago wouldn't pertain to Cam Newton as he was still at Florida. Plus it also matters if one did or did not do it.

I am a bit surprised there isn't more discussion of Dan Mullen. There were tweets last nighte from Joe Schmit and Matt O'Connell mentioning that he is a candidate along with the other guys mentioned. In fact, it was Mullen, not Golden, on Schmit's "list of three" that he had heard about, though I he said "Mullen would be HR" and I have no idea what that means.

1) Dan Mullen;
2) Brady Hoke;

I, for one, was unaware of Schmit's and O'Connell's tweets. I think someone needs to take responsibility for reporting all coaching rumor-related tweets here immediately.

I have stopped thinking much about Belotti, Patterson, et al because I don't see them as realistic. I put Mullen in that category, too. (Not in terms of home run hire, but rather his interest in us.) What is better about Minnesota compared to Mississippi State? But if he's willing to consider us, I'm on the bandwagon. For me he's more attractive than Hoke, Calhoun, Sumlin and Golden.

1) Dan Mullen;
2) Brady Hoke;

I, for one, was unaware of Schmit's and O'Connell's tweets. I think someone needs to take responsibility for reporting all coaching rumor-related tweets here immediately after they occur.

I have stopped thinking much about Belotti, Patterson, et al because I don't see them as realistic. I put Mullen in that category, too. (Not in terms of home run hire, but rather his interest in us.) What is better about Minnesota compared to Mississippi State? But if he's willing to consider us, I'm on the bandwagon. For me he's more attractive than Hoke, Calhoun, Sumlin and Golden.

I, for one, was unaware of Schmit's and O'Connell's tweets. I think someone needs to take responsibility for reporting all coaching rumor-related tweets here immediately.

I think (and this relates to currently) that a rationale line of thinking would be that as tough as the BigTen West is going to be, it still isn't the SEC West. The main difference between those two divisions (and they will probably be the two premier divisions in all of college football) is that the SEC is located in better recruiting grounds.

Would you rather battle wisconsin and iowa for a nice player from Texas or battle LSU for a nice player from Louisiana? Currently the SEC West has two ( and could soon be 3) coaches with National Titles on their resume. Depending on how how you view Less Miles, Houston Nutt is probably the 4th best coach in that division (based on established record, NT's, etc.).

I think you can take MN higher than you can take Mississippi State in their conference due to the fact that going forward all the teams in the BigTen West with the exception of MI, who is currently down, will be cyclical with their teams as they generally need to rely on outstate players at the skill positions. Yes that includes Nebraska.

Am I the only person on this board who thinks the $h!+ is about to hit the fan in SEC country?

Just reading between the lines, it really looks like there may have been a lot of SEC programs that have had some USC/Reggie Bush situations over the last few years. I suspect that coaches in the SEC have been turning a blind-eye to a lot of violations happening around them.

Pete Caroll leaves USC just before scandal looks like it could destroy the program, and suddenly Urban Meyer feels too sick and tired to go on. But he only stays that way long enough to see the minor punsihment handed to USC, thereby understanding that the sun will still rise regardless of how huge of a problem is ever uncovered.

Then this Cam Newton think breaks. And the only thing that seems the least bit out of the ordinary is that the agent naively made an offer to the ill-funded Mississippi State, probably one of the SEC schools whose boosters were not writing checks.

But the most telling are Saban's odd public admission that he has no way of controlling what goes on with agents and his players. He is essentially telling everyone "We have a lack of institutional control at Alabama too. There is no way I can tell you my players aren't getting paid by someone." It was a cry for help that fell on deft ears.

But the best is how many in the media down in SEC-Country point the finger at Mississippi State for reporting this. Proving that they are totally unwilling to investigate and all too happy to also turn a blind-eye and cow-tow to the status quo.

I believe a lot of SEC players are probably getting paid. The NCAA isn't ready to hear anything about it (yet). And a lot of coaches in the SEC are clearly uncomfortable over what will happen whenever it is totally uncovered, it all boils over, and the NCAA decides to start investigating.

Maybe its all just my imagination. But this is exactly what the early stages of a huge scandal always looks like. A few people start looking around at each other and say, "Wait a minute. This is out of control." It is really starting to look like everyone down there knows they have a problem and is very concerned about just how big it may be.

Am I the only person on this board who thinks the $h!+ is about to hit the fan in SEC country?

Just reading between the lines, it really looks like there may have been a lot of SEC programs that have had some USC/Reggie Bush situations over the last few years. I suspect that coaches in the SEC have been turning a blind-eye to a lot of violations happening around them.

Pete Caroll leaves USC just before scandal looks like it could destroy the program, and suddenly Urban Meyer feels too sick and tired to go on. But he only stays that way long enough to see the minor punsihment handed to USC, thereby understanding that the sun will still rise regardless of how huge of a problem is ever uncovered.

Then this Cam Newton think breaks. And the only thing that seems the least bit out of the ordinary is that the agent naively made an offer to the ill-funded Mississippi State, probably one of the SEC schools whose boosters were not writing checks.

But the most telling are Saban's odd public admission that he has no way of controlling what goes on with agents and his players. He is essentially telling everyone "We have a lack of institutional control at Alabama too. There is no way I can tell you my players aren't getting paid by someone." It was a cry for help that fell on deft ears.

But the best is how many in the media down in SEC-Country point the finger at Mississippi State for reporting this. Proving that they are totally unwilling to investigate and all too happy to also turn a blind-eye and cow-tow to the status quo.

I believe a lot of SEC players are probably getting paid. The NCAA isn't ready to hear anything about it (yet). And a lot of coaches in the SEC are clearly uncomfortable over what will happen whenever it is totally uncovered, it all boils over, and the NCAA decides to start investigating.

Maybe its all just my imagination. But this is exactly what the early stages of a huge scandal always looks like. A few people start looking around at each other and say, "Wait a minute. This is out of control." It is really starting to look like everyone down there knows they have a problem and is very concerned about just how big it may be.

Maybe, but remember that what really got USC in trouble in the Bush situation was the fact that a member of the staff (RB Coach IIRC) new about the payments and did nothing about them. That is were the lack of institutional control comes in. If an agent is paying a player without the knowledge of anyone at the school that doesn't necessarily mean a lack of institutional control. I think the penalty would just be a loss of eligibility by and player and possible forfeiture of any games that the player participated in. I don't think there would be a loss of scholarship or any other sanctions.

These are college kids that have free time and can't be babysat 24/7 sooner or later it is up to them to make the proper decision or seek advice from the school if they have questions.

These are college kids that have free time and can't be babysat 24/7 sooner or later it is up to them to make the proper decision or seek advice from the school if they have questions.

So pay-for-play is a-okay. Just as long as no one can find a paper trail that might indicate anyone employed by the school knows about it.

This is the model for the future of college football? I doubt it. And I'm betting a lot of SEC coaches are doubting it too.

So pay-for-play is a-okay. Just as long as no one can find a paper trail that might indicate anyone employed by the school knows about it.

This is the model for the future of college football? I doubt it. And I'm betting a lot of SEC coaches are doubting it too.

your reading skills are top notch. Clearly it isn't okay, but it doesn't necessarily indicate a "lack of institutional control".

Joe Schmit

1) Dan Mullen;
2) Brady Hoke;

Sorry I didn't see this thread --- I started another thread on Joe Schmit's report last night. He said that Mullen could be a coup for the program to land.

It's possible Mullen could bring a couple of recruits with him to Minnesota. They'd probably be better than anyone that followed Hoke from San Diego, Calhoun from Air Force, or Golden from Temple. Just something that would be an added bonus.

The problem is that it's probably going on at 10 of the 12 schools in the SEC (not at Vandy and Kentucky saves its cheating for basketball). They're not going to sanction the entire conference, which is the 'jewel' of college football.

Also, as you say, for the most part, the media markets the schools are in are small and bow down to the University. The local beat writers/tv stations in Gainesville/Tuscaloosa, etc. are not going to dig very hard, they need to maintain thier access. Maybe some Atlanta-based media might be willing to be a little bold, but probably it will take another Yahoo! type outfit to ever get any good dirt about this.

One reason this would never get by in the Big 10 (in addition to just having more ethical programs) is that we have too many big media markets. We complain about the coverage the Gophers get, but it's good for rooting out things like this. The same goes in Chicago, Detroit, etc. The SEC's good-ol-boy nature just invites this to go on, as it will be covered up or at the very least have a blind eye turned.

My best guess is Auburn will end up with some degree of sanction and all the other schools involved will get by with some terse statements from Commissioner Slive about cooperation and ethics.

your reading skills are top notch. Clearly it isn't okay, but it doesn't necessarily indicate a "lack of institutional control".

That's would be the attorney's story. But if $ is changing hands, the NCAA can easily make a case for lack of institutional control. It is their lowest hurdle to clear. All it takes is for anyone to have failed to report if they had reason to believe rules were being violated. Then a txt message or e-mail serves as evidence. Done.

The reason Saban threw his weight around with the NFLPA this summer: he knows if a pay-for-play scandal erupted around his program, he could always maintain he knew nothing about it. But an NCAA investigation would easily reveal player-agent interactions that went unreported. And this would be the hammer the NCAA would bludgeon Alabama with.

Dan Mullen is boring. Two years as a head coach??? I would question the validity of the selection instrument if Dan Mullen were seriously considered over other candidates. (Did I say that, I've been supporting Maturi!).

Dan Mullen is boring. Two years as a head coach??? I would question the validity of the selection instrument if Dan Mullen were seriously considered over other candidates. (Did I say that, I've been supporting Maturi!).

Overall 12–9

Coaching career
1994–1995-Wagner (WR)
1996–1997-Columbia (WR)
1998-Syracuse (GA)
1999–2000-Notre Dame (GA)
2001–2002-Bowling Green (QB)
2003–2004-Utah (QB)
2005–2008-Florida (OC/QB)
2009–present-Mississippi State (HC)

Seen this? This speaks to me particularly the years 03-08.

Mullen would be a huge hire. He has taken a perennial SEC cellar dweller and turned them into a competitor within 2 years.

One reason this would never get by in the Big 10 (in addition to just having more ethical programs) is that we have too many big media markets. We complain about the coverage the Gophers get, but it's good for rooting out things like this. The same goes in Chicago, Detroit, etc.

We found this out firsthand with the basketball team.

Top Bottom