Dan Monson and Long Beach St. are below .500 overall in bad conference

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
Dan Monson is in his 10th year at Long Beach St. and has made only one appearance in the NCAA Tournament. They are about to finish their 5th straight season without an NCAA Tournament appearance and their 3rd season in the last 4 with a sub-.500 record overall.

Long Beach St. has an RPI of 217. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/page/4/sort/RPI

I was looking at that earlier this season. Even schools like Long Beach State will have increased expectations at some point and I have to imagine there will be pressure on Monson soon.

Dan Monson is in his 10th year at Long Beach St. and has made only one appearance in the NCAA Tournament. They are about to finish their 5th straight season without an NCAA Tournament appearance and their 3rd season in the last 4 with a sub-.500 record overall.

Long Beach St. has an RPI of 217. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/page/4/sort/RPI

Is this your passive aggressive response to the Tubby thread? Hope both coaches do well, it will never happen, but I would love for either Monson or Tubby to bring their teams to the Barn.

Pretty hard to use NCAA tournament appearances as the sole factor to define success at a school like Long Beach St. Really, the only chance they have of making the NCAA tournament is through the conference tournament championship. And that isn't exactly an easy task.

He did have 3 straight regular conference titles a few years ago. And maybe not NCAA appearances, but he does have 3 NIT appearances. Which for a small school, is not something to turn their noses up to. I say this because I went to a small D1 school (SD State) and expectations of success are quite a bit different at smaller institutions.

The Monson/Molinari/Smith/Pitino Numbers Heading Into This Season

Pitino has made some serious headway this season. Gophers will have at least 2 and as many as 4 true road wins vs. NCAA qualifiers (Illinois, Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue). To put that in perspective, Monson never won a single true road game vs. an eventual NCAA qualifier. Didn't do it on a neutral court, either.

Overall Record vs. NCAA Qualifiers: 61-155 (28.2%)
1 Tubby Smith vs. NCAA Qualifiers: 29-53 (35.4%)
T-2 Dan Monson vs. NCAA Qualifiers: 21-63 (25%)
T-2 Richard Pitino vs. NCAA Qualifiers: 10-30 (25%)
4 Jim Molinari vs. NCAA Qualifiers: 1-9 (10%)

Overall Record vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Home: 45-52 (46.4%)
1 Dan Monson vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Home: 21-19 (52.5%)
2 Tubby Smith vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Home: 16-20 (44.4%)
3 Richard Pitino vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Home: 7-10 (41.2%)
4 Jim Molinari vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Home: 1-3 (25%)

Overall Record vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Road: 6-77 (7.2%)
1 Tubby Smith vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Road: 4-24 (14.3%)
2 Richard Pitino vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Road: 2-14 (12.5%)
T-3 Jim Molinari vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Road: 0-6 (0%)
T-3 Dan Monson vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Road: 0-33 (0%)

Overall Record vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Neutral: 10-26 (27.8%)
1 Tubby Smith vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Neutral: 9-9 (50%)
2 Richard Pitino vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Neutral: 1-6 (14.3%)
T-3 Jim Molinari vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Neutral: 0-0 (0%)
T-3 Dan Monson vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Neutral: 0-11 (0%)

Overall Record vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Road & Neutral Combined: 16-103 (13.4%)
1 Tubby Smith vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Road & Neutral Combined: 13-33 (28.3%)
2 Richard Pitino vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Road & Neutral Combined: 3-20 (13%)
T-3 Jim Molinari vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Road & Neutral Combined: 0-6 (0%)
T-3 Dan Monson vs. NCAA Qualifiers/Road & Neutral Combined: 0-44 (0%)

In the NCAA Tournament: 1-4 (20%)
1 Tubby Smith: 1-3 (25%)
2 Dan Monson: 0-1 (0%)
T-3 Jim Molinari: 0-0 (0%)
T-3 Richard Pitino: 0-0 (0%)

Pretty hard to use NCAA tournament appearances as the sole factor to define success at a school like Long Beach St. Really, the only chance they have of making the NCAA tournament is through the conference tournament championship. And that isn't exactly an easy task.

He did have 3 straight regular conference titles a few years ago. And maybe not NCAA appearances, but he does have 3 NIT appearances. Which for a small school, is not something to turn their noses up to. I say this because I went to a small D1 school (SD State) and expectations of success are quite a bit different at smaller institutions.

Win percentage was also in the original post. That is probably a larger factor in retaining him and more relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

Win percentage was also in the original post. That is probably a larger factor in retaining him and more relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

May be contributing, but also a hard thing to factor. Monson at Long Beach St. has routinely scheduled amongst the hardest non-conference schedules in the nation.

Take for example, the '13-14 season. They finished 15-17 overall, 10-6 in conference. Their non-conference schedule included games against: Arizona, Kansas State twice, Michigan, VCU, Washington, Southern Cal, NC State, and Missouri. Even with that lineup, they finished 4-10 in non-conference play. For a small school basketball team, that is pretty insane.

Taken from here for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Long_Beach_State_49ers_men's_basketball_team

Passive-aggressive behavior can be fun! (well not really)

They are 9-8 in conference and lost in overtime last weekend, not great but not terrible. Average in a mid level conference which is about what he has done.

That's a tilted post. They are 8-7 in conference this year. 13-18 overall, but you will see why below.

Most seasons they have won big in their conference. They annually play the toughest non-conference season in the country - all on the road:

They had 9 straight losses,but look a the insane schedule:
@Wichita St
@UNC
@Louisville
@UCLA
vs Binghamton
@Washington
@Fla Gulf Coast
@Kansas
@New Mexico State

Don't let this post by dp fool you- he has done an excellent job out there. I have no idea why they schedule like that unless the school is demanding the cash.

oops - I missed it that mp larson beat me to the punch on this. However, I never mind seeing a second rebuttal of the dpdoll :)

That's a tilted post. They are 8-7 in conference this year. 13-18 overall, but you will see why below.

Most seasons they have won big in their conference. They annually play the toughest non-conference season in the country - all on the road:

They had 9 straight losses,but look a the insane schedule:
@Wichita St
@UNC
@Louisville
@UCLA
vs Binghamton
@Washington
@Fla Gulf Coast
@Kansas
@New Mexico State

Don't let this post by dp fool you- he has done an excellent job out there.

Monson has that type of schedule every year...so brutal.

The Dolly is upset that tubby is stinking it up and wants to make monsoon look worse.

Monson has that type of schedule every year...so brutal.

Monson has a very unique contract in that he gets cash bonuses for non-conference road games - I believe as a percentage of what his team is paid by the non-conference hosts. So the bigger the road non-conference game, the more he gets paid.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom