Damian Johnson, Vincent Grier, Trevor Mbakwe have a little fun on Twitter reacting to fans surprise at Prime's message to his Colorado team

Nice banter and keeps it in perspective for the rest of us. Had no idea Damian was that deep in Tubbys doghouse. Makes his accomplishments more impressive. Probably the most improved Gopher from start to finish in my memory.

All good stuff to know but it was kept private between the coach and the player. Now Sanders has allowed it to be a "dog and pony" show all for his benefit. And the media has been sucked into his agenda.

It would have been interesting if one of CU players, who knows that he won't be welcomed back nor want to return with nothing to lose, stand up and challenge Sanders.

Something like, "Sorry Coach! Just so you know, I worked my butt off, was 100% committed to the program and did all that was asked of me. I don't deserve to be considered as "road kill" and being told that I suck as a football player and not worthy. And claiming your son as the starting QB without giving anyone else a chance! You are an ass. You don't deserve me! You're coming and I'm leaving! "

All good stuff to know but it was kept private between the coach and the player. Now Sanders has allowed it to be a "dog and pony" show all for his benefit. And the media has been sucked into his agenda.

It would have been interesting if one of CU players, who knows that he won't be welcomed back nor want to return with nothing to lose, stand up and challenge Sanders.

Something like, "Sorry Coach! Just so you know, I worked my butt off, was 100% committed to the program and did all that was asked of me. I don't deserve to be considered as "road kill" and being told that I suck as a football player and not worthy. And claiming your son as the starting QB without giving anyone else a chance! You are an ass. You don't deserve me! You're coming and I'm leaving! "
Perhaps adding that his degree from Colorado is something he dreamed of and can't get easily somewhere else might drive the knife in a little deeper.

Different era. The cameras probably didn’t expect that speech either. Also private intro meetings weren’t tweeted out back then

Reactions: Go4

Sanders just hired Alabama's DC to run the defense. They've hired Kent's head coach to run the offense. Brewster hired as well. These guys gotta be making top $$$$ for assistant coaches in college football. The Colorado AD already announced that they don't currently have the $$$ to pay Sanders.....where is the rest of the money coming from to pay these assistants? Crazy.

There's a reason why every coach in the SWAC hated Sanders. He's the Donald Trump of college football.

Nice banter and keeps it in perspective for the rest of us. Had no idea Damian was that deep in Tubbys doghouse. Makes his accomplishments more impressive. Probably the most improved Gopher from start to finish in my memory.
Really good post, thank you.

They can say this all they want, but they were 1-11 this year plus terrible for quite awhile. They have no clout and no one cares. Neon Deion will win big there and that is all people care about.

NCAA sports have become a business just like any other and with the transfer portal, it is just like free agency every year.

Different era. The cameras probably didn’t expect that speech either. Also private intro meetings weren’t tweeted out back then
Still, it doesn't make it right. I'm old school and have been taught to respect people including players on an 1-11 football team. Clearly Sanders and the media don't share that feeling. Its all about Sanders, media ratings with no concern for the players. Sad.

They were 1-11 or something and historically bad…I doubt that player (Colorado qb would win out against deon’s son who was extremely highly rated as a recruit and has great stats through two years…albeit FCS)-but Carson Wentz and Trey Lance were fcs as well

They were 1-11 or something and historically bad…I doubt that player (Colorado qb would win out against deon’s son who was extremely highly rated as a recruit and has great stats through two years…albeit FCS)-but Carson Wentz and Trey Lance were fcs as well
Have you watched sanders play qb? You’d imagine Deion could go land a whole bunch of people at qb if his kid wasn’t penciled In with how they’re describing it. He was the #26 qb on 247 (in Caleb Williams and Quinn Ewers class). He was 5 spots ahead of Athan. Really tough to interpret his stats with the talent discrepancy as Jackson state only had one game be within one score all year and 3 teams with a winning record (the swac is not a good conference). Not saying the kid wouldn’t beat him out, but rolling in the door saying nepotism and who we pay to be here is who’s playing is all sorts of ridiculous

Still, it doesn't make it right. I'm old school and have been taught to respect people including players on an 1-11 football team. Clearly Sanders and the media don't share that feeling. Its all about Sanders, media ratings with no concern for the players. Sad.
But from the original post other coaches have given the same message to players even here at Minnesota

Top Bottom