Daily Gopher post spring power rankings

AhliBobwa

Reaction score
http://www.thedailygopher.com/2010/5/3/1455951/big-ten-football-power-rankings

I think this is legitimate. I will say that I think the #4-7 teams in the Big Ten are very, very close to one another making them interchangeable at this point. Northwestern, Michigan State, and Penn State are all formidable, but if the Gophers are any good they should be able to win 2 of those game. If the Gophers beat Bucky to start 5-1 or 6-0, I will be even more optimistic about potential final standings.

Also, unlike Iowa or Ohio State, the Badgers have no depth at QB (with the injury to CP), so if Tolzien gets hurt it's game over for the Badgers' season.

I think that winning 2 out of MSU, PSU and Northwestern is pushing it. One win is a must, probably the Northwestern game (homecoming.) I also don't understand why everyone is so high on MSU this year.

I think that winning 2 out of MSU, PSU and Northwestern is pushing it. One win is a must, probably the Northwestern game (homecoming.) I also don't understand why everyone is so high on MSU this year.

Just out of curiosity if you aren't high on MSU, and think the Gophers will beat Northwestern why do you think it's 'pushing it' for the Gophers to win 2 out of 3 versus PSU, NW, and MSU?

I also think Penn State is vulnerable this year and will look more like Joe Pa's mid oughts teams. The D will be good but they have a suspect O-line and are either playing one of two guys (one a walk on), who make Adam Weber look like Kellen Moore, or a true frosh.

Michigan State should be an extremely good offensive team, but the Gophers will be able to stay in the game due to Michigan State's truly horrendous secondary.

The fact that Michigan State, Purdue, (and possibly Northwestern, crosses fingers) will likely have awful corner and safety play makes me a lot less worried about this year.

Just out of curiosity if you aren't high on MSU, and think the Gophers will beat Northwestern why do you think it's 'pushing it' for the Gophers to win 2 out of 3 versus PSU, NW, and MSU?

I also think Penn State is vulnerable this year and will look more like Joe Pa's mid oughts teams. The D will be good but they have a suspect O-line and are either playing one of two guys (one a walk on), who make Adam Weber look like Kellen Moore, or a true frosh.

Michigan State should be an extremely good offensive team, but the Gophers will be able to stay in the game due to Michigan State's truly horrendous secondary.

The fact that Michigan State, Purdue, (and possibly Northwestern, crosses fingers) will likely have awful corner and safety play makes me a lot less worried about this year.

Hah good catch. I guess what I meant was that I do not see MSU being the #4 team in the conference. Their offense should be good but not great as they lost their top WR. And I agree that MSU is pretty rough defensively outside of Jones.

Top Bottom