Current Gophers Who Got Medical Hardship

EE_Gopher

Reaction score
Donnell Kirkwood
Will be red-shirt freshmen next year.

Kim Royston
Will be senior next year.

Brandon Beal - According to Nadine Babu article entitled "Not an "Urban" Myth - Beal trades Gators for Gophers!". http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1153
Will be sophmore next year.

Brandon Green - According to Marcus Fuller article entitled "Horton gives advice to MarQueis Gray for next season". http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/12/
Will be junior next year.

Any others?

Duane Bennett - Senior this year (he played two games in the 2008 season, I believe and then got his waiver, as opposed to a redshirt).

Mike Rallis

Now, I know this is nitpicky, but I don't think you'd consider Royston or Beal's to be technically medical hardship waiver. Usually, that phrase is used in situations like Kirkwood's/Rallis where he got injured after playing in a couple games and then used his RS in that season. Royston's RS was used when he transfered here from Wisconsin (he was awarded a 6th year of eligibility) and Beal hadn't played at all when he was RS by Florida.

Like I said, the appropriate way to think of the medical hardship waiver is a medical hardship waiver on the rules of RS (that you don't play).

Actually, Beal's two years at Florida were a red-shirt and a medical hardship. That is why he has three years left of eligibility.

Is this an unusual number of medical hardships for one team in just a few years? It sure seems like it, but I don't really follow other teams very much at all.

Actually, Beal's two years at Florida were a red-shirt and a medical hardship. That is why he has three years left of eligibility.

Well, that really isn't how it goes.

A medical hardship waiver is using your traditional RS on a year when you have already played a little bit.

Beal used his RS traditionally (so there would be no need for a WAIVER) and then he was granted a 6th year because he was injured in another year.

You can't use a normal RS and then also use a medical hardship waiver (the waiver is for the RS). What Beal did was use his RS and then get granted a 6th year due to injuries (this is typically not called a medical hardship waiver).

actually if you read the NCAA bylaws. Beal qualified under 14.2.1 Five-Year Rule and 14.2.5.1 Waiver Criteria. Hope this helps. Eligible thru 2013 football season. He'll be a sophmore - stay healthy Beal

Top Bottom