Current, former Gophers angry over firing of Claeys

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
Meanwhile, Lou Nanne, who is leading the effort to help raise funds for the U’s new athletic facilities, said the school made the wrong decision during an interview on KFAN radio.

“The fact is [Claeys] made a mistake, a big mistake … But I’ve seen people put their foot in their mouth a thousand times,” Nanne said. “I don’t know if someone should lose his job for that. ... I’m totally flabbergasted.”

Dickson, a retired attorney living in Florida, was concerned that the Gophers program will suffer even more after the decision to fire Claeys because policies that led to the issues still are in place.

“I still think in order to fix the problem, the leadership has to be fixed at a higher level up the chain and not at Coach Claeys’ level,” he said. “It seems to me that it is very bad when they pick on the lowest-level guy in the chain who has the least amount of power and set the program back that much further. We’re going to have to pay more severance pay. And once again it’s starting all over with building the morale of the team. I just feel like he was made the scapegoat.”

Dickson would like to be part of a committee that could look into the due process procedures at the university and see how things can be improved.

Gophers donor and alum Mark Sheffert, chairman and CEO of Twin Cities-based Manchester Companies Inc., agreed that the entire process needs to be under scrutiny.

“First of all, I do not in any way support sexual abuse, misbehavior or rape at all,” he said. “But I think the process that was employed here was questionable by many. I think it’s going to hurt the university.”

http://www.startribune.com/current-former-gophers-angry-over-firing-of-tracy-claeys/409609095/

Top Bottom