Curiosity Kills: Who is better at job hopping: Ted Roof or Bill Miller?

Deleted_User

Reaction score
Both coached at Minnesota. Roof is now DC at Penn State. Miller has returned to Minnesota. We will be seeing both coach in the B!G. Will Miller out perform Roof or vice versa? Will Roof spell doom to linebacker U? Will Miller stay at Minnesota for more than 2012? His resume suggests that he will not stay for too long. What say you!

Is Miller the type that says? "Talk to the hand the face doesn't hear you" We'll see.

Roof is clearly better at job hopping in that he continues to find himself in high-profile positions, despite being unsuccessful at most of them.

Miller used to be the defensive coordinator at both Miami and Florida. He's now a position coach at Minnesota.

Miller might be the better coach, but in a purely cynical sense, Roof has played the game better.

Roof is clearly better at job hopping in that he continues to find himself in high-profile positions, despite being unsuccessful at most of them.

Miller used to be the defensive coordinator at both Miami and Florida. He's now a position coach at Minnesota.

Miller might be the better coach, but in a purely cynical sense, Roof has played the game better.
Not sure that is true, I think Miller is pretty happy with where he is. He has as much input to the plans as he wants, he is respected by the rest of the staff as a really knowledgeable guy, and he gets paid well. Not a bad deal.
Roof just got over being fired a year after he won a national Championship, and has had five jobs in something like four years. Must still be going for the HC job, but not likely to happen.

He has as much input to the plans as he wants
He's still trumped by at least 2 people on one side of the ball alone.

and he gets paid well.
Roof gets paid more.

Roof just got over being fired a year after he won a national Championship, and has had five jobs in something like four years.
Isn't that the point of the thread? Roof went from being fired from one high-profile position to landing in another high-profile position. Miller may be more secure, but that doesn't make him better at job hopping.

Doesn't being "assistant head coach" mean Miller is paid more than just a position coach?

Doesn't being "assistant head coach" mean Miller is paid more than just a position coach?
Yes. But he's still not paid as much as a coordinator.

Miller made 200k last year. Not chump change, but Roof made 500k last year. He probably took a pay cut to go to Penn State, but not to that degree. Even our coordinators make 300k per year.

Another way to look at this has been Roof being hired by a newbie coach again (Brewster/Obrien). Not likely to be a stable situation. Kill has done well keeping and retaining coaches. Hopefully, that is the case with Coach Miller as well.

Ted Roof Wins

This Ted Roof guy is a classic example why a termination can and should be overlooked in some cases. The fact that he is being paid fairly well shows the amount of respect the guy has in the football community. He isn't the first guy to fall upward. His stock could surely fall if he does poorly at Penn State.

Bill Miller could probably command more pay but he seems a much more humble person. As a co-offensive coordinator, I would think his salary would be larger as the expectations on his duties and performance are larger in scope than than his compensation is today. I wish I understood his reasons for accepting this level of pay out of Minnesota. If his units improve greatly this year and show a large jump in rankings, he will be the first coach other schools are looking for in an OC. He is the most likely guy to leave. Since he has proven to be one of our better recruiters, his absense would be missed. He needs a bump up in compensation and maybe some retroactive money.

I'm quite certain that no one is interested in Bill Miller as an offensive coordinator.

This Ted Roof guy is a classic example why a termination can and should be overlooked in some cases. The fact that he is being paid fairly well shows the amount of respect the guy has in the football community. He isn't the first guy to fall upward. His stock could surely fall if he does poorly at Penn State.

That's exactly right. I know there is a lot of people who didn't like Roof for leaving, but the fact is he did win a national championship at Auburn. And he wasn't the sole problem down in Auburn this year, it was more due to the best kids graduating. But the life of an assistant coach means sometimes your the one to fall on the sword. I think Roof was a good coach here and I wish he would have stayed...

Roof gets paid more.

Isn't that the point of the thread? Roof went from being fired from one high-profile position to landing in another high-profile position. Miller may be more secure, but that doesn't make him better at job hopping.
My response was very unclear, I don't really think Miller is a job hopper, he has just been a coach a long time, and when the head coach goes, most of the assistants do as well. I do not believe he should have been included in this thread to start with. Jed Fisch would have been a much better comparison to Roof, except he is not close to as competent.

Roof gets paid more.

nm

I hate Roof and what he did to us and Timmy (although Timmy got what he deserved most likely). I know some folks that know him well and think the world of him. It does not matter, I still hate Roof.

I don't hate Miller. Nough sadi!

Just a curious, Miller is the linebacker coach, right?

Top Bottom