Cully Payne leaving Iowa

Is this another isolated incident or is it on Fran? Oh and I'm done with Fran too.

"According to Iowa coach Fran McCaffery, Payne had intended to apply for a medical redshirt to get a year of eligibility back."

Cully needs to talk to Gopher Warrior.

"According to Iowa coach Fran McCaffery, Payne had intended to apply for a medical redshirt to get a year of eligibility back."

Cully needs to talk to Gopher Warrior.

Yes. Most of us by now are familiar with the non-existence of a 'medical redshirt', but even a hardship waiver doesn't give you a year of 'eligibility' back, it gives you a year of competition back. Huge difference and I'll explain more in a moment. [and please correct me if you think I am off in my understanding here]

Re: Payne, the kid is from Schaumberg and committed to both DePaul and Alabama before winding up at Iowa. What do you expect?

With respect to his injury, it becomes a bit more interesting.. I'll keep things at an 'in general' level and not get into all the possibilities, but if Payne actually believed a hardship waiver would be granted, then he is essentially giving up a year of competition by transferring.

There are multiple things going on... you have 4 years of competition available... but only 5 years in which to exhaust those 4 years... a hardship waiver doesn't count a year of competition, even though the student-athlete played during a season... but a hardship waiver does not address the 5 year rule (i.e., it gives an additional year to compete, but does not give an additional year of eligibility).

Generally, a five-year rule waiver is granted when there are circumstances outside of the control of the student and the institution.

In this case:
Assume Payne receives a hardship waiver. He would have three years of competition available, but only three years in which to use those three years. Transferring to another D1 school would mean a year of sitting out due to transfer rules. Thus, after the 2011-12 season he would have only 2 years left on his 5-year eligibility clock and thus be able to play only 2 more years. A five-year rule waiver would likely not be granted in this case because the reason why he'd only have 2 years vs. 3 years to play would be due to a decision that he made... not something out of his control. If Payne did not chose to transfer, he would have been able to compete in 2011-12 as well as the following 2 years.

To receive a hardship waiver, the conference or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement would generally require that the injury resulted in him being incapable through the end of the season. I recall hearing at some point that he was practicing to some relatively high degree but had not "been cleared for contact" -- by who? Perhaps he was capable of playing, but they didn't play him. You'll note Fran has said, "we are happy he was able to fully recover from his injury"... it may sound like well-wishing, but it may not have been - it's certainly not something you want your coach to be saying in early April if you're going to be pleading a case that you were incapable of playing a few weeks ago. If it was in fact a parting shot by McCaffery, I'd find it a little humorous and not surprising. Maybe his wife suggested it. She is feisty.

Anyway, I haven't looked but I'm sure there will be people assuming the kid has three years of competition left wherever he goes - I highly doubt that winds up being the case.

Perhaps Payne doesn't care - his focus is getting the heck away from Iowa's program and losing a year of eligibility is fine with him... maybe Payne realizes he likely wouldn't get a hardship waiver so he's got two years left of competition whether it's at Iowa or elsewhere... perhaps Payne is an idiot and doesn't realize he may be giving up a year of competition... perhaps I'm an idiot who is making things up (very unlikely).

PS - I actually started to address this one in the Pregame Thoughts article on 1/16/11:

#3 Cully PayneThis little dweeb started at point guard all last season, his freshman year, and averaged almost 9 points and 4 assists per game. Very annoying kid. He may be out for the year after a hernia surgery about 6 weeks weeks ago. He had played in only 5 games this year and could be a medical hardship waiver candidate. In addition to the team missing his experience running the point, his absence causes Cartwright to run the show for Iowa, instead playing off guard.

Top Bottom