Cry me a river

I looked at the comments. A lot of "poor pitiful me" comments, with Goliath pretending to be a picked on David. A lot of canards about "Oh, the innocent players are being punished!" Players aren't being punished, the institution is. The players are free to transfer. I note these posters don't have this "don't punish the innocent students!" line when it is someone else's school.

A lot of those posters don't seem to care a bit about the school, just the team - that's a recipe for corruption. You get the people complaining how the schools make all this money, while the players get nothing. If I could have had my tuition, room and board and books paid for, I certainly wouldn't have considered that nothing: the value of that each year would have been a lot more than I could have gotten at a job right out of high school.

USC's defiant attitude toward the NCAA isn't likely to persuade anyone.

"I don't think that 100 kids on the football team should be punished for what somebody else's actions were," White, the former Tennessee Titans running back recently released by Carroll's Seattle Seahawks, told a Nashville radio station this week. "I think if they deem [Bush] ineligible ... that should just be what it is. Let him forfeit his stuff."

Why does anyone care what LenDale White thinks? Of course he is going to tell a reporter that lobs him a softball that he thinks the sanctions are too strict.

They got caught. Plain and simple. This kind of thing goes on all the time. Remember Maurice Clarett and his free cars? The NCAA wanted to make an example of someone, and who better than the creme of the crop. They'll be a little down for a few years, but it won't break them like it would us. Take your medicine USC.

Top Bottom