Crowd

LaXGoph

Reaction score
whats up with empty mariucci? Will the crowds ever come back or has the Big 10 damaged the product beyond repair?

whats up with empty mariucci? Will the crowds ever come back or has the Big 10 damaged the product beyond repair?
$50.00 ticket prices for a college hockey game is beyond excusable, especially in an arena that seats 10.000 fans. Pair those two things up with our decision to leave the WCHA and Gopher Hockey will never fully recover IMO.

There’s a lot more to it than the conference change. As slim tubby mentioned, it’s simply too expensive and there are a lot of entertainment options these days.

The ticket prices certainly play a significant part in why the building looks so empty, but many of the empty seats you see on TV are sold, they just aren’t being used. That speaks more to the general apathy toward the program and is, in my view, the more concerning issue.

Big Ten is the biggest factor among many, many factors that also include overall pricing, inconsistent effort on the ice, ease of watching on TV, and more.

But yes I've been saying for a long time the Big Ten was a near death blow to the program, hurting the U more than any other program in the country.

Big Ten is the biggest factor among many, many factors that also include overall pricing, inconsistent effort on the ice, ease of watching on TV, and more.

But yes I've been saying for a long time the Big Ten was a near death blow to the program, hurting the U more than any other program in the country.
Disagree on this point. It absolutely has gotten harder to watch on TV.

They ain’t coming back…the glory days of gopher hockey when the wild were gone are not coming back. It’s a different time with the wild in town and the gophers can’t compete. It’s not like the gophers wanted to go to the big ten but what choice did they have. Be kicked out of the league in all sports and go play in the big 12 so the hockey program could play in the WCHA.

They ain’t coming back…the glory days of gopher hockey when the wild were gone are not coming back. It’s a different time with the wild in town and the gophers can’t compete. It’s not like the gophers wanted to go to the big ten but what choice did they have. Be kicked out of the league in all sports and go play in the big 12 so the hockey program could play in the WCHA.

My impression was that Barry Alvarez was the driving force (in lock step with Jim Delany) with the move to the Big 10. I think the Michigan schools were also quite content with the status quo.

Near death blow is a bit of an overstatement. True it's not what it once was and that flat out stinks. No argument there. Can they (and other Big 10 Teams) still compete for Nat'l Titles? Indeed, they can.

Saying that, as someone has followed the Gophers back to the 70s when they and UMD were the only teams in the state, right now they are probably the 4th best team in Minnesota.

They may also be the 4th best team in the country.

Totally agree. Big Ten ruined the greatest conference in all of college hockey the WCHA

Yup. Destroyed all the natural rivalries that the Gophers have built up. In-state UMD and SCSU play in the best conference in the nation now....and the Big Ten is the football equivalent of a G5. Mankato may have had the best team in Minnesota last year playing in the CCHA.

Top Bottom