Critical Race Theory

kg21

Reaction score
I am in the camp with black scholars steele, sowell, and williams. America isn't racist. Objective fact.

Liberals think america is racist. Conservatives think people who say america is racist use it for a crutch to promote victimhood. Why should the liberal view be promoted in schools and not the conservative view? Wouldn't it be better to just steer away from these issues in k-12?
Keeping politics out of school seems too easy.

golf

Reaction score

It is just so important that parents stay on top of this issue. A battle not joined is a battle lost.

golf

Reaction score
This is only what you want to be true. Nothing objective in the slightest.

Objective, factual evidence and examples will and should always be taught in school.

I get what you think and why you think it is important to be taught in schools.

My point is that conservatives believe the opposite. Therefore it is important our most prized possession, our children, are taught that america is a wonderful, free, equal opportunity country where hard work is rewarded. It is vital conservative parents stay on top of this issue

howeda7

Reaction score

My point is that conservatives believe the opposite. Therefore it is important our most prized possession, our children, are taught that america is a wonderful, free, equal opportunity country where hard work is rewarded. It is vital conservative parents stay on top of this issue
Does that require teaching them that America is perfect and un-flawed? It's not a binary choice.

howeda7

Reaction score
Why do schools have to teach of America's racism? It's 24/7 in the media. Racism is on the shows kids watch, on the news, in the pro sports leagues........it's everywhere.
Hmm. I thought you saw gay people 24/7 everywhere? You must watch some interesting stuff.

kg21

Reaction score
Does that require teaching them that America is perfect and un-flawed? It's not a binary choice.
What parts of America are flawed?

Let's get a list.

CRICKETS yet again!

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Obviously correct.

But simple minds, such as our friend golf, require/need the world to be simple. They can't deal with, or comprehend, when reality is complex and mixtures of many factors.

kg21

Reaction score
Hmm. I thought you saw gay people 24/7 everywhere? You must watch some interesting stuff.
it would be very hard for kids to hear about America being racist were it not for the schools. Laugh My Ass Off.

atsgopher

Reaction score
False.

T stands for theory. CRT is academic.

Activism is always its own thing, of people wanting to take action based off ideas.
My natural instinct would guess you'd be correct here, after all, political and academic are in direct conflict.

However, the founders (derrick Bell, Patricia Williams, Kimberle Crenshaw, Richard Delgado, et Al) explicitly state the opposite. CRT is activist, and thus of course political.

This is very unfortunate, because there certainly is a space for it, and it drives some great questions. The more you read, you'll realize this is why it fails.

See:
Critical Race Theory: An Introduction by Richard Delgado

Note: I'd recommend reading the 1st edition, then getting finding out the new stuff from the 2nd and 3rd. You can get some of it free from google books.

The questions at the end of the chapters you'll find very useful.

The problem always being when the idea moved outside the law (and its quirky boundaries) it lost its utility.

Spoofin

Reaction score
It is just so important that parents stay on top of this issue. A battle not joined is a battle lost.
I told this story on here before (and was of course told I was lying, but pretend with me :)) - last year for a speech in HS my child got a list of topics to choose from. Each one was framed as a positive liberal talking point. My kid chose "why the minimum wage should be raised to $15" and then proceeded to give a very polished and informed speech on why it should NOT be raised. I was pretty proud - and to the teacher's credit, she gave an "A". Still, I wish I would have kept a copy of the speech options - CRAZY. And, I do not live in what would be considered a liberal district at all.

Go4Broke

Reaction score
Public education in America is on life support. Fact are no longer facts, truth is no longer valued, and bald-faced lying have become a way of life for the right-wing morons who have taken over the Republican Party.

Last edited:

kg21

Reaction score
Public education in America is on life support. Fact are no longer facts, truth is no longer valued, and bald-faced lying have become a way of life for the right-wing morons who have taken over the Republican Party.

Aren't you "Off the Charts Guy?"

Spoofin

Reaction score
Gina Peddy is now the face of the Republican Party. If you support Rs, you support her. I hope I did that right.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
However, the founders (derrick Bell, Patricia Williams, Kimberle Crenshaw, Richard Delgado, et Al) explicitly state the opposite. CRT is activist, and thus of course political.
Highly doubt that activism is explicitly included in the academic definitions and theory. Happy to entertain specific academic text/publications with citations.

Certainly, those people you list here may have expressed their personal opinions or even advocated for legal, proper protesting and action. That's completely separate from academic context.

GopherJake

Reaction score
I told this story on here before (and was of course told I was lying, but pretend with me :)) - last year for a speech in HS my child got a list of topics to choose from. Each one was framed as a positive liberal talking point. My kid chose "why the minimum wage should be raised to $15" and then proceeded to give a very polished and informed speech on why it should NOT be raised. I was pretty proud - and to the teacher's credit, she gave an "A". Still, I wish I would have kept a copy of the speech options - CRAZY. And, I do not live in what would be considered a liberal district at all.
I’d be willing to bet the assignment was to take one side or the other of the statements given. Stop looking for scary ghosts.

bga1

Reaction score
College students interviewed about diversity. This is a truly interesting 5 minute video:

Spoofin

Reaction score
I’d be willing to bet the assignment was to take one side or the other of the statements given. Stop looking for scary ghosts.
You would be wrong. I saw the the assignment sheet. Held it in my own hands. It was scary - not so much a ghost tho.

GopherJake

Reaction score
You would be wrong. I saw the the assignment sheet. Held it in my own hands. It was scary - not so much a ghost tho.
Post a pic here, please.

Of the assignment sheet, pervert! ;)

Spoofin

Reaction score
Post a pic here, please.

Of the assignment sheet, pervert! ;)
As I said in my original post....
I wish I would have kept a copy of the speech options
I guess I didn't because it never occurred to me at the time that I might share the story on GH or that some people I don't know would rather assume I am making it up than to admit this happens. You can choose to believe me or not - doesn't change the facts and is no skin off me either way.

GopherJake

Reaction score
As I said in my original post....

I guess I didn't because it never occurred to me at the time that I might share the story on GH or that some people I don't know would rather assume I am making it up than to admit this happens. You can choose to believe me or not - doesn't change the facts and is no skin off me either way.
Trust but verify is a pretty good rule of thumb. That's where I'm at. Maybe the instructions were verbal. What school district and grade level?

Top Bottom