Cretin HC Mike Scanlan said Seantrel would be "king of the Twin Cities"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BuckeyeSports.com:

As Seantrel Henderson is rapidly finding out, there is a certain amount of scrutiny involved with being the No. 1 recruit in the country. In this update, Henderson's head coach speaks to BuckeyeSports.com about his star player's recruitment, his goals for the summer and what kind of player he can become.

Two years ago, Mike Scanlan thought he had seen all the rigors of the recruiting process with star wideout Michael Floyd receiving national interest.

This year, the head coach at Saint Paul (Minn.) Cretin Derham Hall is finding out that he hadn’t seen anything yet. For the second time in three years, Scanlan boasts a five-star recruit on his roster – and this time he is the No. 1 recruit in the country.

So how much interest is offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson drawing from top schools across the country?

“Well, it’s leaving Floyd in the dust,” Scanlan told BuckeyeSports.com. “Maybe there’s such a need for left offensive tackle that as much as Michael got attention, Seantrel is getting more.”

Listed at 6-8, 301 pounds, Henderson is apparently in no hurry to speed up his recruitment. With scholarship offers from nearly 50 schools, Scanlan said, the situation can be overwhelming at times.

“Right now it’s OK because it has very little impact on Seantrel because they can’t be dragging him out of class to meet him,” he said. “Even the day Ohio State was in, there were five other schools that came in. All they want to do is make sure that Seantrel knows they’re in the building and get a transcript if they need it.”

Despite Scanlan’s advice, Henderson has not narrowed his list or come up with a roll call of top schools. That fact is partly due to the fact that Henderson is also an accomplished basketball player whose time right now is largely taken up by the AAU circuit.

Although his future remains on the gridiron and not on the hardwood, Scanlan said, the sport does have some crossover benefits for Henderson.

“He’s pretty smooth and he moves pretty well,” Scanlan said. “I think that translates well to playing that left offensive tackle position where you’ve got to be nifty out in space, you’ve got to have good feet. He’s got the guns that he can put on you early and pass block.”

On the practice field, Henderson is learning from two accomplished tutors. His school’s two offensive line coaches have enjoyed lengthy stays in the NFL: Ray Hitchcock, who won a Super Bowl with the Washington Redskins after playing for the University of Minnesota and John Alt, a two-time Pro Bowl player who enjoyed a 13-year career with the Kansas City Chiefs after playing for Iowa in college.

The two are schooling Henderson on the finer points of playing on the offensive line.

“These guys know how to zone block, they know how to teach the steps, they know how to pass block,” Scanlan said. “Not that it’s brain surgery, but I think it gives him an advantage coming out of an offense like that versus running a good high school wing-T offense, which nobody in college runs.”

Despite that, Scanlan said Henderson has plenty of work to do before his senior season starts.

“I want to see him in the weight room more than he has been and I also want to see him do more homework than he does already,” he said. “He’s got to continue to work hard in the classroom and he’s got to put more time in the weight room. His position dictates that as good as he is, he’s got to get stronger because the guys he’s going to compete against – not senior year, but when he gets to college – are going to be well weight trained young men.

“He works hard, but he’s got to work harder if he wants to play at that level.”

As for Henderson’s top schools, Scanlan said he feels that the Buckeyes are serious players for his services among many other schools. In addition, the coach said there is a certain amount of pressure for Henderson to stay close to home and suit up for the Golden Gophers in college.

“It’s subtle and not so subtle,” he said. “I think he’s got legitimate interest in Minnesota. I think if he would commit to The ‘U,’ they would make him king of the Twin Cities.

“I just think he’s going to look at the best venue to play at with big-time exposure and also quality education yes, but this is a kid that has realistic aspirations to play in the NFL.”

Go Gophers!!

If you thought Eslinger changed the way people were watching the game ...

Twins fans look at the Catcher differently than ony other fans in baseball. Seantrel would do the same for Minnesota football. Fans would be paying close attention to the O-Line. That much isn't going to happen anywhere else.

Seantrel would have a royal treatment throughout his time at the U. Hopefully Tubby is still talking to him about playing bball...

I hope the best for Seantrel and the best thing for him is to suit up in Maroon and Gold and play for the gophs. Get our running game going strong again this year and this kid would be pumped to play in TCF!

I just want to point out that the #2 player in the NFL draft this year was an OT from Baylor. Baylor isn't like Texas and on national tv every weekend or at all. The U of M may not get many/any national games like OSU but it won't impact draft status, talent and level of play will. Seantrel stay home be a "king" and start something special at home! :D

If Seantrel is 6'8 now, is there any chance he outgrows football? I believe there was a guy that tried (and failed) to make the Buffalo Bills at 6'10. If Seantrel grows another couple of inches, could NBA C become a more realistic possibility than NFL OT? Obviously, being the no.1 recruit in the nation suggests his future is in football, but it's an interesting question to ponder.

I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but I just don't see any way he doesn't end up at USC.

This whole "He needs to go where he can get the most exposure for the NFL" line of thinking is complete nonsense. Seantrel Henderson could spend the next 4 years on Neptune and the NFL would know about him. If you're good enough the NFL scouts will find you anywhere, when you're 6'8", 335 lbs and were the #1 recruit in the country you couldn't hide from them if you wanted to. Any major conference school would provided him all the exposure to the NFL he needs. None of these schools would provide someone more "exposure" than Minnesota and they've all had offensive tackles drafted in the first round in just the last five years:

Baylor
Boise State
Boston College
Central Michigan
Ole Miss
Pitt
Vandy
Virginia
Wisconsin

What better way to get to the pros than getting teaching from Davis :D lol

This whole "He needs to go where he can get the most exposure for the NFL" line of thinking is complete nonsense.

The two variables I think could actually matter to NFL scouts and to Seantrel's development would be:

a. The competition he faces every day in practice making Seantrel a better player (ostensibly higher at a place like OSU or USC). I remember Michael Floyd citing this as a reason he wanted to go to Notre Dame.

b. The competition he will face during games. I would think this would make a place like Minnesota MORE attractive, because he will play against teams like OSU, USC, Texas (maybe?), PSU and be battle tested against the best of the best. If he plays for OSU, he would never have the chance to shut down a guy like Vernon Gholston because they are on the same team.

Just a couple of thoughts I had about his process. I think the "exposure" argument is bunk, but I think it does matter to consider who he is going up against. If Seantrel goes and dominates against the MIAC conference at St. Thomas (or the University of Neptune for that matter), I doubt he has the same chance of being drafted in the first round as if he played against the big boys.

I'm not trying to contradict you at all, Oscar_Munson, I am just trying to think of additional angles.

The two variables I think could actually matter to NFL scouts and to Seantrel's development would be:

a. The competition he faces every day in practice making Seantrel a better player (ostensibly higher at a place like OSU or USC). I remember Michael Floyd citing this as a reason he wanted to go to Notre Dame.

b. The competition he will face during games. I would think this would make a place like Minnesota MORE attractive, because he will play against teams like OSU, USC, Texas (maybe?), PSU and be battle tested against the best of the best. If he plays for OSU, he would never have the chance to shut down a guy like Vernon Gholston because they are on the same team.

Just a couple of thoughts I had about his process. I think the "exposure" argument is bunk, but I think it does matter to consider who he is going up against. If Seantrel goes and dominates against the MIAC conference at St. Thomas (or the University of Neptune for that matter), I doubt he has the same chance of being drafted in the first round as if he played against the big boys.

I'm not trying to contradict you at all, Oscar_Munson, I am just trying to think of additional angles.

I think your arguments about going against the best guys in practice to develop your talent are very valid and would be a reason to pick a school stacked with talent. If he wanted to go against the best talent in games you would at this time probably pick the SEC or Big 12 as they are the deepest conferences top to bottom right now.

Either way though, when he does decide to make the jump to the NFL he will be going to the combine. While there he will be put head-to-head against some of the best D-lineman in CFB. There the scouts can accurately judge his talent against high class competition.

That said, come to Minnesota Seantrel!

I think your arguments about going against the best guys in practice to develop your talent are very valid and would be a reason to pick a school stacked with talent. If he wanted to go against the best talent in games you would at this time probably pick the SEC or Big 12 as they are the deepest conferences top to bottom right now.

I think this is a crappy argument for why a recruit should be interested ina "powerhouse program". Sure, that's the argument they all use. But the fact is you practice at 100% maybe 3-4 days all year. At some places-never.

Also, if this were the case we would expect almost everyone in the NFL to come from powerhouse schools. But they don't. Most powerhouse schools are actually under-represented when considering that they area bale to attract more young talent.

The pattern that emerges when reviewing NFL rosters shows that what really matters is playing against top-tier talent in games. This is why there were Gophers playing in the Super Bowl. They got a lot of PT against Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. They didn't have to spend hours in hundreds of no-contact practices burried on the depth chart at USC.

I think this is a crappy argument for why a recruit should be interested ina "powerhouse program". Sure, that's the argument they all use. But the fact is you practice at 100% maybe 3-4 days all year. At some places-never.

Also, if this were the case we would expect almost everyone in the NFL to come from powerhouse schools. But they don't. Most powerhouse schools are actually under-represented when considering that they area bale to attract more young talent.

The pattern that emerges when reviewing NFL rosters shows that what really matters is playing against top-tier talent in games. This is why there were Gophers playing in the Super Bowl. They got a lot of PT against Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. They didn't have to spend hours in hundreds of no-contact practices burried on the depth chart at USC.

The fact of the matter is, I didn't say it is better to be buried on the depth chart and Seantrel will not be buried on the depth chart regardless of where he goes. Does it benefit him to practice against guys closer in ability to him, the answer is yes. You play what 12 games a year and how many practices do you have, significantly more. That is where you refine your technique, etc.. and where you get a ton of reputation, it isn't in the scrimmages or games. The SEC and Big 12 are sending more players to the NFL these days, so playing against top level talent in practice and games must be working. You can also look at examples like Matt Cassel who never even started a game in college, or Clay Matthews who started as a walk on at USC and worked his way up the depth chart to start and be a first round pick by going against top flight talent everyday in practice, but obviously it is better to get to play in the games than not, however as I stated Seantrel will not have to worry about playing time regardless of where he goes. It is the practices and not the games where you refine your technique and develop as a player, it is also where you spend significantly more time than the games.

The point being that right now in the SEC and Big 12 you get to play against top level competition in practice every day and in games, atleast that is the perception out there right now and as we all know perception is reality. Currently Todd McShay's draft predictions for next year have the top 7 picks in the NFL draft all from the Big 12 conference.

The fact of the matter is, I didn't say it is better to be buried on the depth chart and Seantrel will not be buried on the depth chart regardless of where he goes. Does it benefit him to practice against guys closer in ability to him, the answer is yes. You play what 12 games a year and how many practices do you have, significantly more. That is where you refine your technique, etc.. and where you get a ton of reputation, it isn't in the scrimmages or games. The SEC and Big 12 are sending more players to the NFL these days, so playing against top level talent in practice and games must be working. You can also look at examples like Matt Cassel who never even started a game in college, or Clay Matthews who started as a walk on at USC and worked his way up the depth chart to start and be a first round pick by going against top flight talent everyday in practice, but obviously it is better to get to play in the games than not, however as I stated Seantrel will not have to worry about playing time regardless of where he goes. It is the practices and not the games where you refine your technique and develop as a player, it is also where you spend significantly more time than the games.

The point being that right now in the SEC and Big 12 you get to play against top level competition in practice every day and in games, atleast that is the perception out there right now and as we all know perception is reality. Currently Todd McShay's draft predictions for next year have the top 7 picks in the NFL draft all from the Big 12 conference.

"Play against in practice" -- What's wrong with that phrase?:confused:

And as for the argument that it's okay if you're wrong because perception is reality ... well that's great if you're okay with being wrong about everything all the time.:)

NFL Players drafted since 1996:

SEC 541
Big Ten 465
Pac-Ten 423
ACC 387
Big 12 383

When considering number teams in each conference, the Big 12 reallys stinks.

"Play against in practice" -- What's wrong with that phrase?:confused:

And as for the argument that it's okay if you're wrong because perception is reality ... well that's great if you're okay with being wrong about everything all the time.:)

actually there is nothing wrong with the phrase listed above. Having your defensive players battle with the offensive players is how the players get better. Have you ever talked to a coach because all I have talked to will say it is in practice where a player improves his technique? And in regards to which conferences are better the Big 12 is rising the last few years(3-4, should have specified) and the SEC has been dominant for a while. I don't think you could find a expert out that doesn't think week in and week out the last few years that the Big 12 and SEC has more speed and talent than the Big 10 right now. Your numbers do show that the Big 10 has been represented well the past 12 years but since Ohio State started laying eggs and the rest of the conference following suit against the other conferences the last 3 of 4 years the perception of the conference has changed nationwide, fair or not. It is that perception that is hurting the conference when compared with the others.

actually there is nothing wrong with the phrase listed above. Having your defensive players battle with the offensive players is how the players get better. Have you ever talked to a coach because all I have talked to will say it is in practice where a player improves his technique? And in regards to which conferences are better the Big 12 is rising the last few years(3-4, should have specified) and the SEC has been dominant for a while. I don't think you could find a expert out that doesn't think week in and week out the last few years that the Big 12 and SEC has more speed and talent than the Big 10 right now. Your numbers do show that the Big 10 has been represented well the past 12 years but since Ohio State started laying eggs and the rest of the conference following suit against the other conferences the last 3 of 4 years the perception of the conference has changed nationwide, fair or not. It is that perception that is hurting the conference when compared with the others.

You're still wrong. The Big 12 still sucks. Significantly less NFL talent:

Last four years

Conf. Total (Per team)
Pac-Ten 126 (12.6)
SEC 150 (12.5)
ACC 149 (12.4)
Big Ten 129 (11.7)
Big 12 115 (9.6)

ACC had one good year where they set the all-time record for players drafted. But usually they're way down with the Big 12. It is likely they will return there after their record-breaking year averages out.

You're still wrong. The Big 12 still sucks. Significantly less NFL talent:

Last four years

Conf. Total (Per team)
Pac-Ten 126 (12.6)
SEC 150 (12.5)
ACC 149 (12.4)
Big Ten 129 (11.7)
Big 12 115 (9.6)

ACC had one good year where they set the all-time record for players drafted. But usually they're way down with the Big 12. It is likely they will return there after their record-breaking year averages out.

If the Big 10 has better talent as your numbers indicate then what is going on as the Big 12 is 8-1 versus the Big 10 in bowl matchups the last three years, do they have superior coaching? I guess we better stop recruiting the state of Texas then as there is clearly little talent in the heart of Big 12 country. It is these bowl records of late that are creating that perception that the Big 10 is slow and cannot compete with the other conferences, whether true or not.

Since 2005, the Big Ten is 7-5 against the SEC. Why not mention that fact too?

But I agree, The Big Ten has definitely compiled a pretty lousy record in Bowl games over the last few years. There have been several factors, however, that have helped that to happen which have nothing to do with talent or the quality of the conference:

1. The games are played in the South, far from Big Ten Country
2. The games are played 1-2 months after the regular reason ends for Big Ten teams
3. They easily have the most challenging bowl line-up with no games against a non-BCS conference teams. (except the Motor City Bowl which, by design, they rarely have an eligible team for).
4. Almost all of the games are played outdoors at a time of year where most Big Ten teams can't practice in similar conditions.
5. Thay have 11 teams - one fewer than
6. The Big Ten has had the most BCS appearances (19). This means 2 teams, which leaves a weaker team playing every other opponent. A problem made even worse by having fewer teams in the conference.
7. Bowl preparation happens durring finals. And frankly, Big ten curriculum is just going to be more difficult than most of the opponents tehy face in the bowls.

All of these are reasons why the Big Ten objected to the concept of "bowl games" until quite recently, and why they should insist on any measure that involves pushing the season into August instead of December and January.

I laugh every time I see "Bowl game standings" by conference. It is a totally meaningless statistic. It infers that bowl games are equal difficulty. They are not. It reflects a lack of understanding for how the sport works.

This is like saying that the consolation champion of an 8-team tournament is tied for second place with the runner-up because they both had a 2-1 record. Obviously it's an argument that is attractive to one particular side...if they can get away with it.

Not surprisingly, in the regular season, The Big Ten is 3-3 against the Big 12 since 2005.

If the Big 10 has better talent as your numbers indicate then what is going on as the Big 12 is 8-1 versus the Big 10 in bowl matchups the last three years, do they have superior coaching? I guess we better stop recruiting the state of Texas then as there is clearly little talent in the heart of Big 12 country. It is these bowl records of late that are creating that perception that the Big 10 is slow and cannot compete with the other conferences, whether true or not.

Since I'm sitting in my cube at 4:40am waiting for the green light to complete a f-ing software upgrade I figured I might was well chime in. :)

More NFL talent doesn't have to mean the teams on the whole are more talented. You could have a B10 team that gets 8 guys drafted versus a B12 team that gets 1 drafted and still have the overall level of talent go to the B12 team. Also, talent does not have to equal a great team. Talented teams underachieve all the time. That doesn't mean that the NFL isn't going to go after talented individuals.

Besides you are using a stat that covers the last 3 years to challenge GM's stat that covers the last 13. Since conference power is typically cyclical and everyone agrees that the B10 has been "down" over the past several years that is a pretty poor way to make an arguement. Perhaps going out and finding the B10/B12 records since 1996 would be a better way to go?

And yes, while its helpful to practice against other top notch talent, the NFL isn't concerned with who you practice against. They care about your measurables and your performance against top quality competition (with the former being more important to most NFL teams). That's why a Baylor OT gets drafted so high. A great strength/conditioning coach and playing in a good league is what matters if you want to be a high draft pick. Who you play in practice is good (because competition is good) but if you are able to develop while playing against a more average 2nd team/practice squad then you'll still be fine.

Sadly, when working with 16 and 17 year olds, overcoming common perception is a vastly daunting task. You and GoAUpher have made good points. You have shown lots of interesting numbers in defense of the Big Ten (which I appreciate as a Big Ten fan), but the common perception amongst kids/ national media is that the Big Ten is weak. Talking about the 1990's might as well be the 1930's too, btw. Just as Wisconsin fans start their calendars with the coming of Barry, most 2010 recruits can appreciate no earlier than Marion Barber III, so for most your 1996 stats are more or less ancient and forgotten history. Very very short memories abound in the minds of young athletes and ESPN talking heads are met with the faith once seen only in burning monks.

The good news is years of misery can be flushed away in just a few short years of success with the same principles especially to the local kids. A Rose bowl in 2010, and there will be hundreds of local recruits in 2016 who grew up 'knowing they want be Gophers since they were 'little kids''. I was a kid in Wisconsin in the late '80s through the Rose bowls and the difference was drastic in a few short years.

Sadly, when working with 16 and 17 year olds, overcoming common perception is a vastly daunting task. You and GoAUpher have made good points. You have shown lots of interesting numbers in defense of the Big Ten (which I appreciate as a Big Ten fan), but the common perception amongst kids/ national media is that the Big Ten is weak. Talking about the 1990's might as well be the 1930's too, btw. Just as Wisconsin fans start their calendars with the coming of Barry, most 2010 recruits can appreciate no earlier than Marion Barber III, so for most your 1996 stats are more or less ancient and forgotten history. Very very short memories abound in the minds of young athletes and ESPN talking heads are met with the faith once seen only in burning monks.

The good news is years of misery can be flushed away in just a few short years of success with the same principles especially to the local kids. A Rose bowl in 2010, and there will be hundreds of local recruits in 2016 who grew up 'knowing they want be Gophers since they were 'little kids''. I was a kid in Wisconsin in the late '80s through the Rose bowls and the difference was drastic in a few short years.

I definitely don't discount perception. The poor cycle the B10 is in right now is something that is felt nationwide. How much of a role that plays on recruits? No idea. But perception is reality in many parts of life, and I think recruiting is one of those areas.

I think it becomes less of an issue the better a recruit gets to know the coaches and the more familiar they are with the program. Once some trust is there then I think playing the history tradition card can help. But the number of schools that can use their traditions/history successfully right off the bat is probably pretty small (and the U isn't one of them).

Ulfr has it right when it comes to where the U is with its FB program...win baby win and all sorts of problems disappear. Not rocket science, but still true. :)

the Big Ten does suck when compared to the SEC, thankfully we only have to play SEC teams in bowl games (where we get killed)

I played a little at U.M.D.

With two guys who played pro football. Two guys from U.M.D.. They did not line up against each other during practice either. They were both O-linemen, One got drafted after setting the bench press record at the combine after being the first division II player invited to that and the Senior Bowl. Seantrel could go Slippery Rock and if he lives up to his potential, the NFL will find him. For a guy who has seen the recruiting game as much as he has, Scanlon says a lot of stupid things. Besides if Floyd went somewhere else "because he wanted to go up against the best in practice." Why did he pick N.D.? Not exactly the first school you think of as "Cornerback U". As for "King of the Twin Cities" If that what it takes to get Henderson here, I'm all in favor if Seantrel wants to be King Boreas Rex for 4 straight years of the Saint Paul Winter Carnival and Commodore of the Minneapolis Aquatennial. I will throw in Princess Kay of the Milky Way if we have to. Can you imagine the size of the block of butter it take to crave his bust in? And yes. I do know that all three would be NCAA violations.

We get killed by the SEC...

in their home states and occasionally on their home fields. Yet, when The Big Ten plays them during the season, it's about a 50-50 deal. Funny how that works.

the Big Ten does suck when compared to the SEC, thankfully we only have to play SEC teams in bowl games (where we get killed)

You, sir, are also wrong. The Big Ten actually owns the SEC in bowl games. 15-14 over the last 10 years. Amazing, considering these are all essentially HOME games for them.

Earlier this decade it would have been safe to say that the Big Ten had 5 of the 10 best programs in the country. This made peopel in SEC country furious. Because they knew it was happening with some of their best players. And it's why people in the South have been on a "Big Ten Sucks" propoganda campaign. Most of this "perception" is the result of recent years being lean only compared to years where the Big Ten ruled the sport of college football.

Down Lately? Not really. Over the last 2 years... 2-3. SEC has the edge, but hardly an indication of a conference in a downward spiral. Is that what we have our undies in a bunch over? One loss?

Over the last 5 the Big Ten is winning 7-6. Don't expect ESPN to go with wall-to-wall coverage of how "the Big Ten is better than the SEC" when the Big Ten teakes the lead over all time-frames again next year as they did when the Big Ten finally fell behind by one game.

and occasionally on their home fields.

Indiana is the only team that has had home-and-homes with the SEC in the last decade. And only Kentucky. They lost all 4 at Kentucky, and went .500 at home. The SEC powerhouses refuse to play home-and-homes with the Big Ten powerhouses.

Vanderbilt went to Michigan as a purchased game in 2006 and got killed. Any SEC team that comes to a Big Ten venue in September is walking into a death-trap. Their winning % would plummet.

I was refering to Bowls...

Sorry for not being clear about that.

Top Bottom